Update Core's internal storage music library with artworks added to NAS drive using Bliss

Posted by: Bouba on 08 January 2019

As per the thread's title, I'd like to know what does the naim system do exactly when you tap on "rebuild library" options, especially when music is stored within a Uniti Core internal storage. 

I ask this because I recently purchased Bliss in an effort to automatize where possible the retrival of missing artworks. I started processing on the NAS drive from which I initially imported music to the Core itself upon initial set up of the Core. 

Now, I'd like to know if there is a simple way to make the Core update effortlessly its internal storage to add the artwork added to the files stored on the NAS ?

So I thought that tapping on "rebuild the library" option within the naim app would allow doing exactly this, but I'm not sure? 

If no, is there another easy way to do this ? Having the Core to update music files alreay stored on its internal drive with missing artwork now available on the NAS ? 

Or should I duplicate the effort again and having Bliss re-scan and alter the music files on the Core's internal storage? 

Thanks all in advance for your help 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by ChrisSU

With all Naim servers you should avoid altering the Music folder in any way via a computer or any non-Naim software, as you are likely to break the database and give yourself problems. With the downloads folder, you can do this without that problem. 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Bouba

Hi Chris, 

Many thanks for your feedback. I did not touch the Music folder. My idea was to make sure that the download folder hosting all the files imported from the NAS does include the corresponding artwork. I did alter the original music files of the NAS drives. Now, i'd like the download folder to reflect those changes. 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by ChrisSU

Have you looked at these files through a computer to see what, if any, metadata they contain? If you had metadata showing previously, something has gone wrong if it’s not visible after moving the files to the Core. If you moved a lot of files, there may be a delay before they are visible in the Naim app. (The Core’s predecessor, the Unitiserve, was rather slow at doing this, but the Core is more powerful, so it shouldn’t take ages, but worth checking anyway.) 

If you’re sure the metadata has gone, I can’t see why you couldn’t use Bliss again to replace what is missing, although I haven’t used it myself. Certainly, using a metadata editor such as MP3tag or Metadatics in files in the downloads folder is fine.