DVXX2 MKII Vs Krystal

Posted by: Willy on 08 January 2019

My Dynavector at 5 years old is on it's last legs, probably more on its knees if I'm honest. If I trade it in for a new one I get a discount and that's attractive, however I'm curious if something like a Linn Krystal might be a better option, despite taking the no-discount hit. 

Anyone compared these two and care to comment?

Regards,

Willy.

PS. LP12, Lingo, Ekos into Superline 52/PS, Supercap, Snaxo 362, 250s DBLs

More PS. Local dealer stocks the Krystal but Dynavector, or indeed anything else would be a special order and not available for demo.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by benjy

When my lyra died,I switched to the krystal. I've been very happy with it (our tt's are at similar stages). I did not compare it as I do tend to depend on my dealers advice (Accent on Music). I don't know how the dv sounds or compares ,but would guess the krystal will be well liked (except for the price).

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)

Well, why only the Crystal?  But if you’ve been happy with the Dyna - I had one and thought it great - why change?

Regards,

Lindsay

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by dektop100

i have a DV xx2 - i think it's 3 years old. It was sounding distinctly 'off' several month ago. When i took a close look at it with a magnifying lens I could see the top of the cantelver was covered in debris. Cleaning this off carefully with a brush made a big difference. I think most users only consider the cleanliness of the stylus as important. Have you checked how clean your xx2 is??

The Krystal came out just after I got the xx2. Some users have had problems with broken cantelevers -it's an Al tube instead of a solid Bo as on the DV.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by naim_nymph

LP12,Lingo2,Ekos2,XX2 Mk2, Superline,52,52PS,Supercap,Snaxo362,250x3,NACA5,DBLs,Quadraspire TT shelf,Fraim. Dedicated Radial off a dedicated consumer unit. 15amp socket and Hydra.

A system like this deserves a Kandid  

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Willy
The Strat (Fender) posted:

Well, why only the Crystal?  But if you’ve been happy with the Dyna - I had one and thought it great - why change?

Regards,

Lindsay

Had imagined that if anyone had heard anything significantly better in the price range they'd speak up without needing prompted ???? Open to all options.

Willy.

dektop100 posted:

i have a DV xx2 - i think it's 3 years old. It was sounding distinctly 'off' several month ago. When i took a close look at it with a magnifying lens I could see the top of the cantelver was covered in debris. Cleaning this off carefully with a brush made a big difference. I think most users only consider the cleanliness of the stylus as important. Have you checked how clean your xx2 is??

The Krystal came out just after I got the xx2. Some users have had problems with broken cantelevers -it's an Al tube instead of a solid Bo as on the DV.

The cartridge is clean. It's five years old and as the system is in my office at times gets a fair bit of use providing background music while I'm working.

Willy.

naim_nymph posted:

LP12,Lingo2,Ekos2,XX2 Mk2, Superline,52,52PS,Supercap,Snaxo362,250x3,NACA5,DBLs,Quadraspire TT shelf,Fraim. Dedicated Radial off a dedicated consumer unit. 15amp socket and Hydra.

Next time around. After the Radikal, subchassis, plinth etc.

Willy.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Premmyboy

I will be in the same situation very soon. Currently use DVXXX2 on an Ittok. Not heard the Krystal yet but I like dynavector and would only Change if Krystal was significantly better to my ears.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by French Rooster
Willy posted:
The Strat (Fender) posted:

Regards,

Lindsay

Had imagined that if anyone had heard anything significantly better in the price range they'd speak up without needing prompted ???? Open to all options.

Willy.

lyra delos. wonderful for its price, even a bit cheaper vs the krystal.  but can’t say which is better.      i had before van den hull, koetsu black, kiseki blue ns, and it is my second delos.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by French Rooster

however better listen before.   I bought before the kiseki blue ns, on very good reviews, but was disappointed.  

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by kuma

For my money, Krystal. So far the best I had under 2kUSD. Plus Linn gives a generous exchange rate for a brand new pickup.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by kuma
naim_nymph posted:

I agree with you but comparing it to Krystal back to back with the Kandid, Krystal certainly did not embarrass itself. Sure the Kandid tracks better, superior dynamics and throws a bigger soundstage and Krystal shows its weaknesses here and there throughout an LP play but I was very impressed how capable Krystal was. 

So if a budget is an issue, the OP can be very happy with Krystal which basically very similar sounding to its big brother/sister.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Mario

Krystal is the best thing Linn has done for zonks! Im not saying its better than a kandid, but its bloody so good, im not bothering to better it. I use it with 552 supercaped superline with 576 airplugs into active dbl -  truely fantastic and a hole new world of music compared to dynavector. You will love it!

Regards, Mario.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Clive B
dektop100 posted:

Indeed. Avoid using Lyra SPT anywhere near the cantilever of a Krystal. I do still use SPT on mine, but on the pad of an Audio Technica vibrating stylus cleaner. That way there is no risk of the fluid coming into contact with the cantilever. 

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Premmyboy
Mario posted:

Krystal is the best thing Linn has done for zonks! Im not saying its better than a kandid, but its bloody so good, im not bothering to better it. I use it with 552 supercaped superline with 576 airplugs into active dbl -  truely fantastic and a hole new world of music compared to dynavector. You will love it!

Regards, Mario.

Hi Mario,

That’s interesting. Did you compare Krystal and DVXX2 directly and come to the conclusion that Krystal was far better than the Dynavector.

Thanks Prem.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Mario

Hi Prem,

I did own a DV XX2 in an Ekos with a Dynavector P75, now use Krystal in an ARO with supercaped superline, so "no" I did not do a perfect "A" "B" comparison, but the tone and presentation of a Linn cart is very different to Dynavectors. For me, moving to a Linn cartridge was a big turning point in my love of records. Mind you, I was always aware of it as I had heard Troika Arkiv and Akiva many times, just couldn't afford the change, until the Krystal came along. 

Mario.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Premmyboy

Thanks for that Mario. I guess when the time comes do get a new cartridge I will have to do the demo to see which I prefer. They are similarly priced although DVXX2 is cheaper with the trade in discount.

prem.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by French Rooster

cartridge choice is not easy, because there must be a synergy with the arm and the phono used.  The third aspect is the type of presentation :   koetsu are very different from lyra( or linn) and ortofon for example.   I would like to find a cart with the medium of the koetsu and the dynamics of the lyra....not easy.

To complicate all, it is impossible to try a cartridge at home.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Mulberry
French Rooster posted:

[...]  I would like to find a cart with the medium of the koetsu and the dynamics of the lyra 

Hi FR,

well that would have been Transfiguration. Sadly they no longer seem to be active since the death of Mr. Yoshioka. I went from a Lyra Lydian to a Koetsu Urushi and finally to the Transfiguration Temper. I know some other Transfiguration models (Spirit and Phoenix) and all seem to live in that region soundwise.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by French Rooster
Mulberry posted:
French Rooster posted:

[...]  I would like to find a cart with the medium of the koetsu and the dynamics of the lyra 

Hi FR,

well that would have been Transfiguration. Sadly they no longer seem to be active since the death of Mr. Yoshioka. I went from a Lyra Lydian to a Koetsu Urushi and finally to the Transfiguration Temper. I know some other Transfiguration models (Spirit and Phoenix) and all seem to live in that region soundwise.

interesting Mulberry.  Have read good reviews on these carts but never heard one really, just quickly on a nagra/ basis system, but difficult to really know how it can sound.

Some reviews said that kiseki new stock carts are also between koetsu and lyra.  I had the blue ns for one year but sold it, not my cup of tea on my system.

I have some curiosity on myabi or air tight carts, but also difficult to know how it will sound on my system.

I have now, for a second time, a lyra delos and i am pleased.   What next someday, i don’t know....

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by bluedog
naim_nymph posted:

Don't want to hijack the thread to turn it in to an LP12 discussion- BUT - the Krystal is a fantastic cart and will continue to give more from upgrades to the sub-chassis and the power supply. You're not going to get the full bang for your buck with a Kandid in that spec.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Matteo
Willy posted:

My Dynavector at 5 years old is on it's last legs, probably more on its knees if I'm honest. If I trade it in for a new one I get a discount and that's attractive, however I'm curious if something like a Linn Krystal might be a better option, despite taking the no-discount hit. 

Anyone compared these two and care to comment?

Regards,

Willy.

PS. LP12, Lingo, Ekos into Superline 52/PS, Supercap, Snaxo 362, 250s DBLs

More PS. Local dealer stocks the Krystal but Dynavector, or indeed anything else would be a special order and not available for demo.

I would invest on a better motor and a better subchassis rather than on an expensive MC cart

M

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by yeti42

It’s tempting to go into a paean of praise for the Transfiguration Proteus at this point but it seems to have gone through 2 revisions since I bought mine 3 years ago, acquired a diamond cantilever and doubled in price so probably not of much use to describe mine. It leaves me wondering how to replace it when the time comes, it will be a hard act to follow.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Mulberry

Hi Yeti,

for me and my preferences nearly every amount of praise for the Proteus would be acceptable. It had me thinking very hard about a better phono stage after I traded my defective (my fault) Temper V for it. Simply because I don’t have enough time to listen and ran into a nice fellow with another Temper V and some cash I went back to the older and louder model.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by kuma
French Rooster posted:

I would like to find a cart with the medium of the koetsu and the dynamics of the lyra....not easy.

To complicate all, it is impossible to try a cartridge at home.

Indeed.

I am still looking for a cartridge with  the midband magic of Miyabi47 plus all the good things a modern cart offers. (actually Lyra Olympus is it but it's discontinued )

I would love to try a stone body Koetsu or Airtight Supreme at home but no possibility of home dem.