Roon Audirvana

Posted by: Bluelake on 08 January 2019

I am testing Audirvana and Roon. With a DAC plug in the computer's usb port, Audirvana sounds obviously better.

Did anyone test both softwares streaming music from a NAS through a renderer ? Is in that case the sound quality equal ?

I know Audirvana optimizes the computer, so maybe that accounts for the better sound. So maybe streaming from a NAS to a renderer will take out the computer from the equation and cancel the sound quality difference ?

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Peter Dinh

Streaming from Audirvana sounds much better than Roon.

But be careful with Audirvana, sometimes it goes into a funny state and generates a huge white noise that can potentially damage your speakers!

Peter Dinh posted:

But be careful with Audirvana, sometimes it goes into a funny state and generates a huge white noise that can potentially damage your speakers!

This happens when I stream Audirvana to the Linn Klimax.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander
Bluelake posted:

I am testing Audirvana and Roon. With a DAC plug in the computer's usb port, Audirvana sounds obviously better.

I know Audirvana optimizes the computer, so maybe that accounts for the better sound. 

Yes, that’s my take on it - really good when fully optimised, with a DAC having good RF rejection, or a good blocker between. Best comparison with Roon might be using something else as renderer, e.g Allo Digione Signature or ultraRendu (though I have no experience of either).

Peter Dinh posted:

I’ve been using A+ for 2½ years and never had that (though I have remained with v2.6)

IB, because you never stream with A+

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Alley Cat
Peter Dinh posted:

IB, because you never stream with A+

I've definitely had the white noise issue, but stopped using it as primarily unstable in my setup.