I've gone mad!

Posted by: Sun King on 09 January 2019

Some time ago I sold one year old Atc Scm 11 speakers, because I just could not get along with their analytical emotionless nature. Then try some other brands to found the sound I like – musical, not to analytical, warm and emotional.

Bought Spendor A2 eight month ago. I love them, enjoy them, feed them with music, wipe the dust of them, sometimes even pat them and talk to them.

But …

… I recently got Spendor Classics 2/3 on home demo. I am bewitched. I can not think about anything else aside the beautifully rich, deep and evolving sound of Spendor Classics speaker. 2/3 is seriously expensive for my pocket, A2 is almost new and my wife doesn’t talk to me anymore.

Any similar situations here on forum?

Tell me, that I've not gone mad!

Any Spendor 2/3 users with Naim amps?

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Richard Dane

I'm not a Spendor 2/3 user, but I do have a pair of their earlier predecessors, the SP2/2s  that I'm loathe to let go even though I'm not currently using them. The SP2 is one of the great classic speakers.  I think there are a few on here who still use them daily.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Gazza

Not you have not gone mad they are really nice speakers.....and yes she is not talking to you.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Matteo

My wife doesn't talk to me since a decade

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Timmo1341

This is a good illustration of why it’s never a good idea to home demo any equipment that’s beyond budgetary limits.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Sun King

Richard, I guess classic Spendors are special. I found 2/3 serious speaker to own for another 20 years without the need to look around for something else. Heard few other manufacturers. They were OK, but this one ... Auch! I could maybe feel the same about Harbeth, but unfortunately I didn't have the chance to hear them. 

Gazza, any advice on how to persuade my wife that this decision is maybe not the most rational one (third speaker in two and a half years), but is speaker wise a permanent one and sound wise a great one? 

Matteo ... it is not that bad with mine, but she said (smilingly) I need a psychiatric therapy  

Timmo, even if they are not cheap, I can afford them, no problem with that. 

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Ardbeg10y

Going mad is a qualifier for me, not a disqualifier.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by analogmusic

I heard the d7 while on holiday in the UK and its was superb for its size.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Stevie Bart

Blew up the cones in my D7s by playing too loud cost £750 to repair

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Christopher_M

I'm guessing your wife still wants you to be 'bewitched' by her.

Enjoy your wonderful speakers.

Christopher, I am, very much.  Belive me. It is a speaker dilema, not wife dilema

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Jonners
Sun King posted:

my wife doesn’t talk to me anymore.

Any similar situations here on forum?

Sure is Sun King and I am now living on my own so be wary of how far you're willing to push the missus!

Jonners, no missuse. I exagereted a bit. She is not happy, but not mad at all

Still, would like to here other Spendor 2/3 users immpressions.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander

Is anyone into this hobby at least not a little bit mad?