Benz Micro Glider S Low

Posted by: Fabio 1 on 09 January 2019

Hi all,

my Glider is seven years old and so I'm looking forward to buy a new one or retip it.Just got on the Benz' site and here is what came out:"the Benz Micro website is currently unavailable due to maintenance. Please check back later".Actually I must say I always had problem with this site since I bought my cartridge.My Naim Dealer just tells me the same.I purchased the cartridge from him and so he got in contact with the Italian supplier of the brand and they said they are no more in business with Benz.This is the state of affairs.What you guys would recommend?Going for retip path or buy a new one?I liked the sound of this cart very much and having it completely renewed would be interesting.My Naim retailer promised that he will call me back after lookin for some professional carts retip company here in Italy.I know UK is in another league in providing this kind of services.Would you suggest any to me please?On the other hand it also would be interesting to completely change the brand and go for, say, an Dynavector XX2 MK2,very well regarded on the Forum,so I will have a further experience in theme of cartridges.I want to clarify that is nearly impossible here in Italy to demo different cartridges.

Thank you.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by al9315

I have the Glider & like it too !

I did hear a few years ago, that the main man in Benz was ill, and the company may not continue, I do not know if this is accurate or not.

I did send a cartridge to Expert Stylus Company for possible re-tip, but the report on it's general condition was not good, so I did not go ahead in the end.

It is only my opinion, but I would now only buy new. Quite a few on here are keen on the Linn Krystal (circa £1000) or the Linn Kandid (circa £3000) & I believe some of the Dynavector models.

Good luck with your search.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by douglas

I have had a Micro-Benz SLR Gullwing which must be 5 years old plus. It is an outstanding cartridge and tracks just about anything with no hint of "will it or won't it"! It has had little use but my dealer is keen to sell me a replacement. Not surprising. They too have had, lets say, difficulties in dealing with MB and now are pointing me in the direction of Lyra, and the Etna low output at a mere £6.5K.  Hi-Fi News thought it brilliant. Trade in on the MB is not that good. Who wants a S/H cartridge? Lyra I am told are more customer friendly.

On a more realistic note.......

A friend of mine has a Lyra Delos re-tipped by Van den Hul. Happy customer. When asked what he would get if the Delos just died he said another Lyra.

Hope the above helps. Douglas.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by RaceTripper

My Naim dealer in the states also tells me they can no longer get M-B cartridges. All that's available is what the US distributor has in stock. He believes M-B is no longer producing new cartridges. I was considering the Gullwing SLR as an upgrade this year, but now I think I will go with the retip credit on my Clearaudio Concerto and setup to their Stradivari.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Fabio 1

Thank you guys for the replies so far.Douglas,it helps for sure.