L'Art du Son fluid - does it precipitate or go off?

Posted by: Alley Cat on 09 January 2019

I got a Project record cleaner last year and made up 500ml of their fluid and have used maybe half of it - looks fine.

Next a 500ml bottle of London Jazz formula which is clearly identifiable due to the isopropyl alcohol.

Finally I got some L'Art du Son and made up 500ml with that in a 'sterile bottle' from a pharmacy (same as London Jazz).

I've not cleaned as many records as I'd like - primarily as I need something higher to put the cleaner on as it hurts by back bending down to clean them on a low coffee table!

So, I've used maybe 50ml of the L'art du Son and there's a load of sediment at the bottom - is it just the concentrate or maybe mold or other gunk?  Reluctant to use it though it does seem to go into suspension with a good shake.  Smells ok - a bit like a certain brand of Carpet Cleaner I once used.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by ricsimas

It seems normal with LAS, and I think I recall reading at some point that it is indeed expected. Every bottle of it I've ever mixed ended up that way eventually.

That said, I've never been too impressed about LADS as a cleaner. It doesn't seem to do as well as other fluids, so I've stopped using it long ago.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Matteo

I also have a Project VCS and use Nitty Gritty fluid (Pure 2 or PurEnzime+).

M.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Alley Cat
ricsimas posted:

It seems normal with LAS, and I think I recall reading at some point that it is indeed expected. Every bottle of it I've ever mixed ended up that way eventually.

That said, I've never been too impressed about LADS as a cleaner. It doesn't seem to do as well as other fluids, so I've stopped using it long ago.

Thanks, appreciate that - the sediment just makes me want to bin the mixture and I'll start afresh with a new batch if needed.

I'm not sure how significant concerns over alcohol in cleaning solutions are, but having just cleaned an album or two with the London Jazz formula or after the Project fluid and being thoroughly impressed by the results I may not bother again with LADS.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Alley Cat
Matteo posted:

I also have a Project VCS and use Nitty Gritty fluid (Pure 2 or PurEnzime+).

M.

Thanks for the recommendations - just found Pure 2 on Amazon.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by michael17

I have some one page instructions on L'Art du Son - seems a bit complicated but says:

"Storage life

In our experience the concentrate lasts up to five years if it is kept cool and dark after opening it. Older flasks may wear an expiration date which is meant as a rough point of reference. White particles can occur and are no indication of decay. They dissolve into smaller particles after shaking the flask.

We know that there are some misunderstandings regarding the visible particles:
Please notice that the chemicals forming those visible particles in the flask are functional to the important chemical properties of the cleaning and antistatic process itself. As they are lipophilic they are visible in a water based concentrate. In a mixed solution grey fingernail-shaped particles however indicate the decomposition of the cleaning concentrate. It is still effective but at a lower degree and it will be ineffective soon. The grey color is a sign of bioactive organisms like Aureobasidium pullulans (an airborne fungus) and other common microorganisms that start to biodegrade the ingredients. It is totally random if the mixed solution ever gets in contact with any organisms that start to live in the solution container one uses for storage. Both concentrate and solution decompose faster in plastic containers than in tinted glass."