Hum.......

Posted by: M2bfx on 09 January 2019

I know this has been discussed a while ago, but....

I have just taken delivery of my Naim Supernait 2 a few weeks ago and just got around setting it up with my older Meridian 500 series kit and my latest purchase of the REGA P3 with the Elys 2 and the Rega MM Mk 3 Stageline

I am getting a slight raz from my 506 CD player which goes in on RCA at present......but only on high volume, so I can live with this till I purchase a Naim CD later in the year. However my main issue is that I'm getting a mains hum from the turntable, with the dial at 10am ish on the amp. The deck connects via RCA cables from turntable to Stageline, then from Stageline into Supernait 2 on Aux using RCA. powered using the plastic none earthed mains adaptors it comes with. 

Is this an issue with REGA ?? I guess other more expensive turntables are mains powered and not 24v. 

I have been instructed to purchase a ground loop isolator to go between the two units by Naim, any one had the same problem

Sorry for my ignorance, but just need a little help

Barry

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Daniel H.

Maybe try moving the RCA cables from turntable to Stageline around, or trying your Stageline on a different shelf. 

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Richard Dane

How close is the Stageline to the Supernait?  It needs some space as the Supernait has a huge transformer inside - try moving them apart.

Why are you connecting the Stageline to AUX via RCA? Can't you use the 4-5 DIN interconnect? How are you powering the Stageline? Is it from an i-Supply?  

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by M2bfx

Sorry my mistake it’s a REGA Mm phono stage

Barry

M2bfx posted:

I know this has been discussed a while ago, but....

I have just taken delivery of my Naim Supernait 2 a few weeks ago and just got around setting it up with my older Meridian 500 series kit and my latest purchase of the REGA P3 with the Elys 2 and the Rega MM Mk 3 Stageline

I am getting a slight raz from my 506 CD player which goes in on RCA at present......but only on high volume, so I can live with this till I purchase a Naim CD later in the year. However my main issue is that I'm getting a mains hum from the turntable, with the dial at 10am ish on the amp. The deck connects via RCA cables from turntable to Stageline, then from Stageline into Supernait 2 on Aux using RCA. powered using the plastic none earthed mains adaptors it comes with. 

Is this an issue with REGA ?? I guess other more expensive turntables are mains powered and not 24v. 

I have been instructed to purchase a ground loop isolator to go between the two units by Naim, any one had the same problem

Sorry for my ignorance, but just need a little help

Barry

SORRY FOR ERROR BUT ITS A REGA MM PHONO STAGE and NOT a NAIM STAGELINE .....WILL GET IT RIGHT ONE DAY !!

Ok thanks Barry. As previously recommended, try putting some space and distance between the phono stage and the Supernait. 

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by RaceTripper

FWIW: about 6 years ago I had a RP3 and the power supply. It had a grounding fault that had to be repaired by Rega. Every time I tried to play a record I got hum and the local christian music station. I think the latter part poisoned me to using a Rega TT again (I changed up to a Clearaudio). LOL.

PROBLEM is solved 

it appears that the expensive mains 6 way conditioning block I bought had a massive effect on the TT. I have now placed all Rega and Naim mains and PSU cables in a standard 6 way mains block into the wall. Clean as a whistle

Barry

Excellent news.