Upgrade advice, please

Posted by: mano on 09 January 2019

Hi

My current system is: 

LP12/Ekos2/Dynavector DV20X/ Lingo2/Prefix.   

NDS/XPS2

NAC52/Supercap

2x250s/SNAXO/Supercap.   (250s serviced by Naim a  couple of years ago)

NAT02

All olive apart from the NDS and XPS2

I've planned on building up my system to an active  4 x NAP 135s since the year 2000, when I started off with a 72/180. I've had the SBLs from new since then and I'm determined to get the best out of them yet.

I know I need to upgrade the XPS2 to a 555PS and add a power supply to the Prefix (currently powered off the 52)

I have the opportunity to acquire a couple of very decent 135s

Should I swap the 250s out or not?   I was thinking at one time of using 2 x 135s and one 250 in active mode till I can affors a 2nd set of 135s. Is this a good idea?

I'm not listening to my LPs at the moment, but will go back to them, so that upgrade can wait  a little.  (if I swap the 250s out, I can use the SNAXO's supercap for the prefix, anyway).

If the power upgrade is going to be useful and it's  passive, I will store the SNAXO away till needed.

Your opinions will really be appreciated

mano

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by 911gt3r

Hi Mano.

As usual it will be the usual fight between the front end upgrade and downstream- it will be anybody’s guess. I ran 4x135s active into SBLs with 52 pre/ Supercap and CDS3 front end. It was a huge step up from passive 2x135s as you can imagine. Would I go wonky 250/135s I’m not sure? Thing is if you can afford it 4x135s is something else!

I can vividly remember sitting in my office upstairs in my house back then listening to James Mcmurtry ‘ too long in the wasteland’ downstairs in my listening lounge at 10 o’clock and it sounded as if the band was actually down there. A very happy audio memory in the bank.

Have fun Peter

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by LFCJohn

You can certainly get more out of your SBLs. Like you I started with a 72/180 combo and have reached NDS,555dr,552 and 2x250dr and the SBLs just keep getting better. If you stay with an olive set up then 4x 135 would be my choice as well as a 555dr.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by blythe

It's a very lovely set-up you have already.
Running 2 x 135 into your tweeters and the 250 for the mid-bass is the way to go but, as I haven't heard SBL's in that configuration, I can't say what improvement you may hear. Hopefully well worth while. The SBL's are a brilliant speaker and as you already have them running active, I guess you already know that!

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by blythe
Alba1320 posted:

FYI, 'back in the day', Naim's recommendation was for passive 135s in preference to active 250s.

Yes but active 135's is another ball game....

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by gary yeowell

135s were good with Briks, so much better than a 250.

6x 135s were incredible.

Given the choice i'd go passive 135s every time on SBL before active anyway. You may decide your journey is over at 135s passive. The best power amp Naim ever built for my ears.

Last time i had a set of 135s here they were unopened fresh from service at Naim. They were mindblowingly good on my Shahinian Arcs. I had the opportunity to buy them but for some reason i got tempted on a set of 300s ex demo at a grand more. I went with the 300 as i was all black reference at the time and although great, the 300 never got under my skin like those freshly serviced 135s. I should have bought them and a 52 to go with them, but there you go.

Absolutely!

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by mano

Hi, Thanks for the prompt responses - I was going to reply tomorrow as I was ready for bed, but thought I'll make the effort, given you have!

I definitely want to go 4 x 135s, but can't afford to yet. I will stay with an olive setup.

I feel confident now that you have confirmed my thoughts are not too way out and quite practical

If I can secure the 2 135s, it looks like I'm going to be able to try ALL the options and decide whether to sell both the 250s or just one. At the end of the day, I'm going to have to sell something to be able to afford the 135s.

As a bonus, I'm going to hear the LP12 with the prefix supercapped, as well

The SBLs are indeed great - I've heard them from the time they were "underfed" to the point when they started to sing - 52/250 onwards. They really came to life when I went active!

I used to read all the comments about weak bass and I experienced some of it too. Now I have more than enough bass and the system is  feeling a lot more balanced and "weighty"

If I don't post for a while, it means I haven't secured the 135s. Otherwise I'll post my findings

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by mano

@Alba1320 - NP. my question was more that satisfactorily answered. Interesting point you make - hope the warm up changes things