Uniti Nova remote oddity

Posted by: Alley Cat on 09 January 2019

Used it fine earlier today to control volume for LP playback.

Batteries new a couple of weeks ago.  Barely used as far as I can remember.

This evening pressing buttons no effect but all segments of the 'volume ring' lit up.

The online help doesn't identify this state.

Tried re-pairing in case it had unpaired but no joy.

I briefly turned the Nova off and on again and remote worked again.

Odd one - anyone else seen this.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by hifi-dog

Re pair it with the nova?

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Alley Cat
hifi-dog posted:

Re pair it with the nova?

Tried that, it wouldn't work.   On/off worked so must remember that for the future.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Obsydian

What someone actually uses the remote ????

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Alley Cat
Obsydian posted:

Well, sometimes I don't need the app (eg playing vinyl), the phone is flat or charging elsewhere.

To be honest I'd prefer a smaller remote with little more than a volume control, mute and on/off.

It is handy for volume control though especially as it's more granular than using apps with sliders which don't easilt allow fine volume adjustments.

One thing it is very useful for is when I Airplay the audio for a movie/video to it from my AppleTV - Apple are clueless when it comes to certain things with audio, and levels are far too coarse on iOS/tvOS devices - AppleTV for example seems to use only 4 bits for audio volume so zero to full has only 16 levels inclusive, so each press has a volume increase of 6-7 on the Nova itself - this can be too much - with the remote I can increment/decrement easily by 1-2 once I've set a base level from the AppleTV itself.

Personally I think the remote's sensors are far too sensitive - I can have it next to me on a table, and typing on a keyboard or maybe putting a mug of tea down makes it light up - no wonder the batteries don't last.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by ChrisSU
Alley Cat posted:
Obsydian posted:

Well, sometimes I don't need the app (eg playing vinyl), the phone is flat or charging elsewhere.

To be honest I'd prefer a smaller remote with little more than a volume control, mute and on/off.

It is handy for volume control though especially as it's more granular than using apps with sliders which don't easilt allow fine volume adjustments.

One thing it is very useful for is when I Airplay the audio for a movie/video to it from my AppleTV - Apple are clueless when it comes to certain things with audio, and levels are far too coarse on iOS/tvOS devices - AppleTV for example seems to use only 4 bits for audio volume so zero to full has only 16 levels inclusive, so each press has a volume increase of 6-7 on the Nova itself - this can be too much - with the remote I can increment/decrement easily by 1-2 once I've set a base level from the AppleTV itself.

Personally I think the remote's sensors are far too sensitive - I can have it next to me on a table, and typing on a keyboard or maybe putting a mug of tea down makes it light up - no wonder the batteries don't last.

Volume adjustment on some inputs is, I agree, too coarse. It can be bad on Chromecast too, and varies widely between different sources such as Qobuz, iPlayer and Soundcloud. 

I only use the Naim app for most of this stuff, so I too may now have found a use for the remote!

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by SimonPeterArnold

I've found I have lost remote functionality for input changing from time to time. It's not the remote though as the app also won't do it either. Only a reboot of the unit fixes it. Software bug I imagine.