Artwork Awards

Posted by: Jonners on 10 January 2019

One of the joys (for me) about Vinyl and CD ownership is the artwork and sleeve notes.

Do Forum Members have a favourite "label" or recording artists whose covers are consistently distinctive and/or are works of art in their own right? 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by kuma

Classic Blue Note covers done by Reid Miles.

I am guilty of buying records by the cover art in the past. :/

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Tony2011

Storm Elvin Thorgerson - just Storm to his friends - has created some of the most iconic art covers ever to grace the front of an album. Chances are that, without knowing, you’re probably holding one in your hands right now. RIP.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Jonners

I am a fan of an independent record label called 4AD. Their record covers are very eclectic. As for artists, I think the Rolling Stones and Roxy Music have produced some truly iconic album covers (with music to match!)

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Clive B

Roger Dean, of course, has produced some very appealing cover art, notably those early Yes albums.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Kevin-W

Peter Saville. He was to the period 1979 on what Storm, Po, Sleazy and George Hardie were to the golden age of LP covers (1968 to circa 1980). Some work here:

And this, from his time at Factory Records, may be his single greatest work:

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Chief Chirpa.

I'll start at the beginning, with Alex Steinweiss, father of the modern album cover and art director for Columbia Records during the 1940s, whose bold use of colour, typography, and instantly recognisable illustrations revolutionised the look and marketing of records. I think I've seen kuma post a fair few; my grandparents had loads, this one a favourite:

As already suggested, Reid Miles' Blue Note covers are so good. I also have a soft spot for Andy's illustrations...

As I thought he would, Kevin's beaten me to posting Factory/Blue Monday, I'll sub in Peter Saville's FACT75...

More recently, maybe as a reaction to downloading/streaming (?), more of my favourite smaller labels seem to be putting in more of an effort these days, each with their own aesthetic. Such as Modern Love...

See also Erased Tapes...

kuma posted:

I am guilty of buying records by the cover art in the past. :/

I wouldn't know anything about that...

Her are all the New Order album covers (all done by Saville):

And a selection of JD/NO singles covers:

Clive B posted:

Roger Dean, of course, has produced some very appealing cover art, notably those early Yes albums.

I did not know it was Roger Dean, but 2 albums I bought in my youth strictly from his illustration:

YES: Relayer
YES: Yesterdays

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by DrMark

Relayer was always my favorite Yes album cover, along with this back of the album artwork from Yessongs:

Tony2011 posted:

Storm Elvin Thorgerson - just Storm to his friends - has created some of the most iconic art covers ever to grace the front of an album. Chances are that, without knowing, you’re probably holding one in your hands right now. RIP.

A great artist. I own many of LPs he's done. Sad to see him go. I didn't realise he did the Mars Volta album cover.  ( I thought it was Hipgnosis wannabe )

DrMark posted:

Relayer was always my favorite Yes album cover, along with this back of the album artwork from Yessongs:

A fond memory of finding out the record I just purchased had an off center hole! I recall how disappointed it was. My parents moved to a *stick* so i had to take 2 buses and 2 trains to get to a decent record store to return it.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Richard Dane

I have to admit, I do have a bit of a love of the old early stereo US releases with the banners emblazoned across their tops, particularly the ones from RCA with "Living Stereo", Everest, London (Decca), and of course from Mercury with "Living Presence".  The Londons and RCAs were particularly kitsch, but there are some favourites - The Reiner Sound, for instance;

And Fistoulari's Ballet Music From the Opera;