Audioquest Dac to Naim preamp interconnect advice

Posted by: Shropshire Hills on 10 January 2019

i currently use an Audioquest DragonFly Dac to improve the sound from my iPhone/iPad to my headphones when travelling. I am thinking of using the iPad and DragonFly Dac as a way to stream music to a Naim 42/110 amp. So far I have identified 2 possible 3.5mm to Naim 5 pin Din interconnects - Chord Clearway and Audioquest Big Sur. Both are around the £100 mark but I wonder which would be better? Chord cables generally work well with Naim but perhaps the Big Sur is a better match with the DragonFly. I would welcome advice and also suggestions for alternative interconnects although I wouldn’t want to spend much more than £100 and preferably less

Thanks

Bob

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by ChrisSU

For a cheaper alternative, Flashback make one. I have a feeling Naim used to make one too? As for which one would sound best, no idea, sorry. 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by karlosTT

For a much cheaper alternative you might also consider Gotham, found on fleabay.  They are very well built, and in audio terms I'd have thought easily good enough for the task in hand (bearing in mind the quality/price of other chain components).  I've been impressed with them in a number of applications......

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Richard Dane
ChrisSU posted:

For a cheaper alternative, Flashback make one. I have a feeling Naim used to make one too? As for which one would sound best, no idea, sorry. 

Yes, for the Naim one, see the FAQ...

And very good it is too. I much preferred it to a couple I tried from others.  A shame if Naim dont make it anymore.  Have you asked as a special order?

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by analogmusic

I was told Naim will make one... 

But I use one from Vertere for my Audioquest Dragonfly Red to my Naim, the DFI, it is also custom made. otherwise there is a 3.5 to 2 RCA version which is 100 GBP

a wonderful cable.... 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Bart

I bought a subwoofer cable from Flashback and was very happy with it. And it was very fairly priced.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Shropshire Hills

I have bought cables from Flashback previously and found them to be well made and their service is friendly and fair priced so perhaps I should try them first

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by fatcat

I used a 3.5mm/5 pin din flashback performance cable to connect a mojo to a 62. At under £30, a bargain

Definitely the better than the mogami and kimber cables I also tried.