Ex-Demo Warranty

Posted by: Tobo on 10 January 2019

I am a proud owner of an Atom (bought new) used in my office.

So impressed by the Atom I decided to buy a Nova for listening in my lounge.

I found an ex-demo 14 month old Nova at a local Naim Dealer and was told it came with remainder of 5 year Warranty.

I checked this with Naim and there is only a 1 year Warranty on ex-demo units.

This may, or may not affect the price people are willing to pay for ex-demo equipment as there seems to be minimal saving and a much shorter Warranty.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by solwisesteve

ISTR years ago that the warranty for Naim products wasn't transferable.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Gazza
Tobo posted:

I am a proud owner of an Atom (bought new) used in my office.

So impressed by the Atom I decided to buy a Nova for listening in my lounge.

I found an ex-demo 14 month old Nova at a local Naim Dealer and was told it came with remainder of 5 year Warranty.

I checked this with Naim and there is only a 1 year Warranty on ex-demo units.

This may, or may not affect the price people are willing to pay for ex-demo equipment as there seems to be minimal saving and a much shorter Warranty.

Not so sure the advice from Naim is correct or there was a misunderstanding over ex dem vs second hand. The dealer is unlikely to have registered the product, so as the first person to register the product with Naim you should get the remainder of the warranty.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by hifi-dog

I bought mine exdem and registered it as the first owner and have the full 5 yrs.,

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Tobo

Thanks for the replies.

I would be happy with a full 5 year warranty.

Would have to register it though to find out as Naim said 1 year by phone and email.

It's going back to the Dealer to sort or refund.

I know that warranties are not transferrable to subsequent owners but if you buy ex-demo, you are the first owner.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Dave***t

Ex-dem from an official dealer should mean that you get the full 5 years once you’ve registered it.

That’s what Naim said to me not that long ago when I checked with them direct.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Guinnless

Yep, same herehere IME.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Timo

It is my understanding it is not the full 5 years but 5 years from the point when the dealer bought the unit from Naim. Imagine a dealer runs a demo unit for 5 years and could sell the unit with 5 years of warranty...

It would be good if Naim could clarify — [@mention:1566878603942595] please for intervention. 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Richard Dane

AFAIK on demo units the clock is ticking the day it’s consigned to the dealer. That’s how it used to be back in my time at the factory. I’m sure Naim can clarify or confirm for you if need be. 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Timo
Richard Dane posted:

AFAIK on demo units the clock is ticking the day it’s consigned to the dealer. That’s how it used to be back in my time at the factory. I’m sure Naim can clarify or confirm for you if need be. 

Thanks Richard!!

Hi Anthony The warranty period for an ex-demo unit is 12 months. Kind regards Henry Call: +44 (0) 1722 426600 support@naimaudio.com 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Thank you Henry.

Sorry, that was copied from an email and pasted by me, it is what started the query.

There are ex-display or ex-demo products frequently advertised with "full UK Warranty" or "remainder of 5 year warranty"  which is, according to my response, misleading and incorrect.

I looked for an ex-demo unit as I am not prepared to pay full RRP which seems to be fixed due to restrictive practices and collusion, there is no competion.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by hifi-dog

Well I registered my nova bought exdem and  it was under a year old (just) and my email confirmation from naim is 5yrs... guess I hit lucky then!

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by ChrisSU
Tobo posted:

I looked for an ex-demo unit as I am not prepared to pay full RRP which seems to be fixed due to restrictive practices and collusion, there is no competion.

I don’t know what leads you to think that, but there are plenty of Naim dealers competing for business in the UK and RRP is, by definition (and in law) recommended, not fixed. 

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Rich 1
Tobo posted:

Sorry, that was copied from an email and pasted by me, it is what started the query.

There are ex-display or ex-demo products frequently advertised with "full UK Warranty" or "remainder of 5 year warranty"  which is, according to my response, misleading and incorrect.

Agree with Chrissu. From recent personal experience 12 months ago, my official Naim dealer was quite willing to talk discount, it was quite substantial. You don't know 'till you ask! Rich 

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander

When I bought an ND5XS ex-dem in 2014 I received the full warranty. However I seem to recall that part of it wasn’t transferable to a new owner - maybe the additional after their first 2. But it is a while ago now, so I am a tad hazy - and things could have changed.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by JimDog

So if a user (as per examples above) has a 5 year warranty email from Naim, would Naim honour it if it was technically issued contrary to Naim policy of not giving warranties to 2nd owners or backdating warranties to the date demo kit was sold to dealers?