Vinyl cravings

Posted by: ommadawn on 10 January 2019

I was rooting around my garage loft the other day and found my old Rega Planar 2 turntable and Pro-ject 7 integrated amplifier (Czech Republic built from late 80's).

I was wondering if there was any way of connecting the Pro-ject to my Nait XS? 

The Pro-ject amp has Tape i and Tape ii outs but nothing labelled pre-out. 

The Rega seems to work well mechanically and I temporarily disconnected my speakers from the Nait xs and had a quick listen via the Pro-ject which sounded very good considering its age etc.

It would be a nice little addition to my humble system if I could use the Pro-ject as a Preamp (for Phono) and my Naits xs as pure amplification. Is this possible?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Richard Dane

You can use the Pro-Ject integrated as just a phono stage by taking signal from a tape out on the pro-ject into your NAIT xs. Cool looking amp, IIRC.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by ommadawn

That sounds great, thank you Richard. Is it best to use phono to din leads or is phono to phono ok?

Cool looking amp indeed, although the volume wheel is squeaking a bit. 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Richard Dane

All else being equal an RCA to DIN I/c will always outperform an RCA to RCA phono I/c, when connecting a source to a Naim preamp.

The good news of using the Pro-ject amp just as a phono stage is that you won’t be using the volume control..