Advise on Dated Chord Coaxial

Posted by: eazyryder on 11 January 2019

I have had an offer on a second hand Chord Signature digital coaxial RCA to BNC 1m cable.

Cable is in a good condition visually but I am guessing this model chord is quite a few years old.

Does anyone know or have any experience of this chord coaxial?

What sound should I expect, and is this cable any good?

Any help would be great before I dare take the plunge.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by james n

Depends on the price but if you are driving it with the Nova X12, then there is probably more bang for buck to be gained with putting the money towards a better S/PDIF source than changing the cable between that and the Qutest DAC.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Is that the red one with two cable runs?  If so, there was one at the factory for evaluation some years back.  Between a DVD5 and AV2 I preferred the Naim DC1.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by eazyryder
Richard Dane posted:

Is that the red one with two cable runs?  If so, there was one at the factory for evaluation some years back.  Between a DVD5 and AV2 I preferred the Naim DC1.

Yes it is the red one with two cable runs. What would you say where its strengths and weaknesses?

And its a RCA to BNC, which is perfect for my chord qutest

james n posted:

Depends on the price but if you are driving it with the Nova X12, then there is probably more bang for buck to be gained with putting the money towards a better S/PDIF source than changing the cable between that and the Qutest DAC.

Yes it is overkill, but the price I have been offered is around the same as a new chord clearway digital coaxial and it would possibly be a future upgrade proof purchase.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Richard Dane
eazyryder posted:
Richard Dane posted:

Yes it is the red one with two cable runs. What would you say where its strengths and weaknesses?

It was too long ago now to recall in any meaningful way. It was fine though, and if the price is right then probably worth trying out.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by james n

One other thing to bear in mind (and this is coming from a distant past Anthem user (similar dual run construction) is that the old dual run Chord cables are stiff and have a large bend radius which makes it difficult to dress well if you don't have a lot of room behind your rack.

Richard Dane posted:
eazyryder posted:
Richard Dane posted:

It was too long ago now to recall in any meaningful way. It was fine though, and if the price is right then probably worth trying out.

Than you Richard for your input.

I had also called the chord company and asked their advice too, whether this cable was still relevant in 2019. I was given a definite yes from chord so I think I might just go for it.

james n posted:

One other thing to bear in mind (and this is coming from a distant past Anthem user (similar dual run construction) is that the old dual run Chord cables are stiff and have a large bend radius which makes it difficult to dress well if you don't have a lot of room behind your rack.

Thanks james, good to know.

I do have plenty of room behind my rack so it should have plenty of space to hang free.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by eazyryder

Have gone ahead with the purchase, just waiting on delivery.

Hope I don't regret it .

I am currently using a QED performance rca to bnc coaxial cable, its a nice clear and detailed sound, not a bad bottom end. But it can get a little harsh and slightly thin sounding with certain recordings.

I have also purchased a QED reference coaxial, thinking it would give me the clarity and detail but in a thicker warmer sound.

It did but vocals sounded lost and recessed in the whole musical picture  and it sounds a little veiled too. So I have had to settle on the QED performance.

So I have my fingers crossed for the chord signature