RIP ChromeCast Audio

Posted by: Ardbeg10y on 11 January 2019

I just read an article that Google is stopping with the Chrome Cast Audio dongle. Sad news, the CCAudio was and still is a great device which always works.

It was my first real streamer, after I dipped my toe in the optical connection of my Airport Express which I did not use much.

It always worked, and gave great results for its price.

I'm now a happy user of the RPI / Allo Digione combination, but still - if I want support for something, I need to install and configure libraries on the RPI whilst the CC Audio always worked.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Bob the Builder

Does that mean all existing units will be redundant? 

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Ardbeg10y

No, they won't produce any new anymore but the platform remains supported.

https://www.chromestory.com/20...icially-discontinued

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Alley Cat

Probably not surprising - inexpensive device but I suspect many people who wanted to convert older lifestyle speakers or audio systems to play wirelessly would have opted for Bluetooth dongles, or just got new BT enables speakers.

The appeal to many of us would have been support for optical out, plus better than CD quality over that, though as we know most people probably don't care.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by nbpf
Alley Cat posted:

The appeal to many of us would have been support for optical out, plus better than CD quality over that, though as we know most people probably don't care.

The Chromecast Audio does actually have optical output.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Ardbeg10y

Indeed. I fed the digital inputs of my SuperNait 1 from the CC Audio. Worked brilliantly.