How to add multi-channel music as a (psychedelic) extra dimension/possibility????

Posted by: JimDog on 11 January 2019

Ok - so this question is admittedly pretty nuts, but:

I have 272, serviced 150x and Arivas - this system sounds great for 2 channel music, and good for TV too.

I will upgrade to 250DR and new speakers when the boat comes in - but for now I have a strange desire to add an extra dimension.

My nutty idea is to create a 5.1 system on a small budget:

buy 2 rear speakers and a centre channel speaker 2nd hand - say £300?

buy a 2nd hand sound processor or an old AV receiver type amp - this box would be used to upmix 2 channel sources to 5.1 signals - say £150?

then on the odd occasion when I fancy something different I can switch from 2 channel to 5 channel mode for a more enveloping but less purist soundscape

I know this anathema to most folks on this Forum, but for those open-minded enough to even discuss it:

any ideas on what kit would achieve this?

and how would I wire it up?

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Jim, the obvious choice would be an AV2, although if we're just talking music here, maybe an AV1 would be fun.  I know JV enjoyed sometimes using an AV1 to enhance regular 2 channel music. Otherwise, you can integrate just about any surround amp into the system (just let the Naim kit do the main front L+R) so long as it has the requisite pre-outs to allow it. Only issues you can get is mixing cheaper floating mains kit with earthed Naim.  You may need an isolating transformer to prevent hum.

However, I can't help feeling that you would perhaps be better served by concentrating on improving things just in 2 channel..

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Adam Meredith
JimDog posted:

any ideas on what kit would achieve this?

and how would I wire it up? 

Just plug it into the mains. There's an analogue version too.

OR - you could, quite cheaply, experiment with a Hafler arrangement - where out of phase signal is sent to additional rear speaker(s).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafler_circuit 

Quite fun. Both suggestions.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by JimDog
Adam Meredith posted:

There's an analogue version too.

"The Vesuvius Vaporizer is the new big player in the Volcano market."

I'm having a dry January - but I didn't promise to quit volcanos...

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Adam Meredith
JimDog posted:
I'm having a dry January - but I didn't promise to quit volcanos...

It is THE room freshner of choice.