Nova Multiroom devices disappear

Posted by: Doppy1977 on 13 January 2019

hi, can anybody help here. Over the Xmas period multiroom stopped working between my Nova and Muso. When I select the little icon next to the volume bar in the app the Muso no longer appears as an option to enable multiroom to.

if I power down (remove the mains cable) and power back up the Nova it works again, for a while, then stops working again.

both devices are always available in the app and I can play music perfectly on both of them independently, just not via multiroom.

nothing changed by the way, it just stopped working.

anybody else seen this? I know that network will be blamed, but the fact that they work fine independently and are always in the app, and nothing changed, I don’t see it being that,

thanks, Carl

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by ChrisSU

I suspect that it is indeed something to do with your network, and if only to prove me wrong, I suggest you do the following:

Turn off your router, Nova, Muso and phone/tablet. 

Turn the router back on, and let it fully reconnect. Then turn on everything else, one item at a time. 

See if anything has changed. 

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Doppy1977

Thank you very much for the reply, I’ll give that a try tomorrow. Turning off the nova and powering back up usually gets multiroom working for a few hours, will see if this exercise gets it working for longer - will update on here in the next few days

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Doppy1977

I followed these steps this morning, and multiroom worked happily, for around 5 hours - and now it’s failed again.

If I reboot the Nova it works again for a little while, both devices are present in the app, and play without issue independently - it has to be a Nova issue?

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Simon-in-Suffolk

See if you have a setting on your Wifi routercalled IGMP Snooping.. it really should be on, but try disabling it to see if the issue goes away.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by ChrisSU

Are your two streamers wired or wireless? 

If you use the Muso as master and Nova as client, does the problem persist? The Nova has a much larger buffer, which may help. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Doppy1977

IGMP snooping isn’t even an option on my router, the naim devices don’t have multicast addresses so I don’t think that’s an issue..

will try changing so Muso is master, I didn’t try that as I thought the sound quality might suffer...

everything is WiFi, but has been since August, and was fine until just recently :-(

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by ChrisSU

WiFi can be reliable, but it’s probably a lot more susceptible to environmental problems that may come and go, possibly not even in your own house, maybe in a neighbour’s. 

The Nova has a decent WiFi module, but the Muso has a very dated 802.11g module, which may not be helping. Another test would be to buy a very cheap long Ethernet cable and run it to the Muso (and possibly another to the Nova) and see if this helps. If it does, either instal some cables perpanently, or perhaps look at some more robust WiFi hardware, depending on what you are using now.