Where to buy HiDef in original master

Posted by: LarsDK on 13 January 2019

hi all

most of my collection is redbook rips and as many others I have very mixed results with high def downloads. A great hidef is clearly a different league, but a bad one often ‘remastered’ is worse than redbook. Its a jungle, and I am only interested in hidef using the original mastering as means to hedge.

now that hidef has been around for quite a while, I would expect this market to also mature.

How and where can I best buy hidef in original masters? I dont have that easy access as live in denmark and many dont offer, so want to make it worthwhile the hassle

many thanks

lars

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Bert Schurink

So many options Qobuz, Highresaudio, eclassical, HDtracks, 7digital, spirit of turtle, ...., have fun

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by LarsDK

but they often have remastered albums, not the original...

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Peakman

Hi Lars

My rule is only to purchase a hd download in preference to a cd when (a) the price difference is not excessive, (b) the former comes with a downloadable booklet (same as cd) and (c) the original recording was made in the last few years.  Even with such recordings, the improvement in SQ, whilst usually there, is typically rather subtle, at least to my ears.  But nearly all my recordings are classical, jazz or simply recorded folk music rather than remasters, so I might not face the same issues as you.

Roger

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Guinnless
LarsDK posted:

but they often have remastered albums, not the original...

If there is no 24 bit master then there would be a a requirement to make one from the original recording.  This obviously depends on how old the album is.

I found the remastered version of Peter Gabriel 's So to be miles better than the original. And the 24 bit version is better still.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by cycling66
Bert Schurink posted:

spirit of turtle

Ah, that's a new one to me, looks useful. Bert, Thank you ....

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Jeroen20

Sound Liason is also a good site for high quality HiDef masters.

https://www.soundliaison.com

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by LarsDK

Thanks all. I went through most of these now. Most seem either of limited catalougue or classic mainly (not my thing). Highresaudio good but could only find 20-30 albums of interest now. HD tracks of course has a big catalougue but a bit limited on new stuff, I mainly find classics.

ideally would have a tidal or spotify type catalougue so can search by what I like - read about Tidal Masters thats seems to have a big catalougue and that Tidal offers to pay for downloads. Is it possible to

1) buy masters on tidal in mqa

2) convert for nd555 hidef wa

many thanks

lars