Dilemma re Audirvana vs LMP vs Roon vs HG player vs Kazoo

Posted by: Mike Pearson on 13 January 2019

Just started using microRendu and Chord Qute Ex in place of Linn DS streamer. But what software will give me Audirvana quality qobuz and radio??? BBC R3 concerts are a joy.

I used LMP 10 years ago with a squeezebox 1. Comprehensive interface but clunky. Serves my flac collection and allows radio , but I cant see how to get qobuz.

Roon, as above, I only tested for a few weeks and think radio is there, but only Tidal (had it for a year and not for me), no qobuz and no support imminent ( iahve been searching weekly on line, they say 2019 but they said 2018. Great sound though, lots of ways to control DAC etc .

Audirvana, much as Roon but qobuz and Tidal but no radio. and I use a laptop to que music so when laptop goes to sleep music dies. I guess this is right as laptop is actively transcoding/converting.

Kazoo, much used in past with Linn set up (now demoted to studio in favour of active Briks) , has radio and qobuz but only when used with DS but not when using microRendu. Songs sent to DS were cached there and kept playing until finished, as above when used with Sonore music dies as laptop times out. I can search around living room for a power socket to plug in and stop laptop going to sleep but... Am I missing something.

Many of you experts will have been here and done this, i just want advice about getting quality qobuz and radio.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by SimonPeterArnold

If you use asset running on a pc or nas this can handle the internet radio and your library then you can use a UPnP controller software  that supports qobuz. Asset is a favourite around here. But I would say it's not any better than lms from a user perspective but everyone has their own preference.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Hmack

You should be able to access Qobuz (assuming you have a subscription) with your setup by using the mconnectHD IOS app - it gives me access to both Tidal (including MQA) and Qobuz (to which I don't subscribe) via my microRendu/Mytek Brooklyn+ setup.

mconnectHD, which is nicer to use than the free version of the app costs around £5 or £6, but I think only available for IOS.    

Mind you, you should also be able to get access to Qobuz via the microRendu using Lumin or Linn Kazoo. I can get access to Tidal and the login screen for Qobuz over my microRendu using Linn Kazoo.

Have you tried?

You should be able to get access to Internet Radio using the free Lumin app by subscribing to the free Tunein service on the Tunein website - just read the instructions for the Lumin app.  This should also work with Linn Kazoo.

By the way, which version of the operating system are you running on your microRendu? If you are running a version lower than 2.5, you should upgrade to version 2.7 (available as a very easy SD card upgrade for around £20) - makes a big difference to network stability and also caters specifically for Linn Kazoo. I was not able to use Kazoo with my microRendu until I upgraded to version 2.7.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by dave4jazz
Hmack posted:

By the way, which version of the operating system are you running on your microRendu? If you are running a version lower than 2.5, you should upgrade to version 2.7 (available as a very easy SD card upgrade for around £20) - makes a big difference to network stability and also caters specifically for Linn Kazoo. I was not able to use Kazoo with my microRendu until I upgraded to version 2.7.

If you use the sonicorbiter.com web interface you can update for free. That's what I did.

Go to http://www.sonicorbiter.com/docs/update for details.

Dave