Installing MinimServer whilst Media Server is still present on Synology NAS?

Posted by: Judge on 13 January 2019

Can I install MinimServer as well still having Synology's Media Server on my Synology NAS (DS216j)?  I wanted to try the former because reading through FAQs on here and content elsewhere, it seems liked because of better cataloguing/searching of the music library, although there were historic issues with it running after a DSM update or NAS sleep cycle (although I missed if those are fixed).  

I am assuming that if I install MinimServer as well, all that will happen (dangerous..!?) is that the Naim app will present me with two server options, a Synology one and a MinimServer one.  Is that right?

What I am unsure of as well is whether there will be any interaction/interference between the way one works whilst the other is present that means at best I won't be able to tell which I prefer, or creates a mess and I have no music at all!  

Has anyone else tried this and what was the experience like?

Thanks.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by trickydickie

I wouldn't expect there to be a problem.  I have Asset and Minim running on my QNAP without any issues.

You are correct, you will see 2 servers presented in the Naim app, it will be easy to tell them apart.

I'm running 2 servers as I experimenting with Minimserver for classical music and have just pointed Minim at my classical collection.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Volker

I have Synology's Media Server and MinimServer on my NAS without any problems. And yes, you see both server options in the app.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by alan33
Judge posted:

Can I install MinimServer as well still having Synology's Media Server on my Synology NAS (DS216j)? 

I am assuming that if I install MinimServer as well, all that will happen (dangerous..!?) is that the Naim app will present me with two server options, a Synology one and a MinimServer one.  Is that right?

Has anyone else tried this and what was the experience like?

Hi Judge -

Yes, no problem to install and run both. As you say, you will have a choice of two server options in the top level UPnP/Servers screen and can drill down in either one, just as if you had things running on two different devices (eg your NAS and your router/modem). I’ve done this for a long time, first on a 213+ and now on a 918+... no issues. 

Regards alan

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Judge

Thanks for the reassurance folks.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by ChrisSU

It’s a simple matter to disable the unused server in the Synology settings if you want to. Probably no need, but it will stop it showing up in the list of available servers if you want it uncluttered. 

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Mike-B

Yes installing more than one UPnP media server is very possible.      Up to a few months ago I had three,  Syn's 'Media Server',  Minimserver+Java & Asset UPnP for Synology beta.      It all worked fine, the only noticeable thing was the RAM % numbers were higher.    I've since uninstalled Media Server & Minimserver+Java,     Keep a look out for the public release of Asset UPnP for Synology,  a nice & impressive app,  miles better than Media Server & as good (but simpler to install) as Minimserver.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by blythe
ChrisSU posted:

It’s a simple matter to disable the unused server in the Synology settings if you want to. Probably no need, but it will stop it showing up in the list of available servers if you want it uncluttered. 

Disabling the "unused" server will of course disable the playback of video and other media if you use your NAS for more than just music.
I run both servers on my QNAP - one exclusively for my music (Minim) and the Synology Media Server so that the TV can play videos and photos also stored on the NAS.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Huge

Just make sure they don't use the same name!