ND5 XS2 or Core into my Dac V1?

Posted by: John bqe on 13 January 2019

Hi all.

In the near future I’m going to go for either of the above, I do own a Qb but also other ‘brands’ in other rooms for listening on when around the house, currently using Mac mini via Audirvana & iTunes into the dac via usb, used to own a qute & miss the use of the naim app for the main system.  My top priority is SQ in my main listening room, but it would be nice to just be able to ‘listen all over the house’ too.  The Dac V1 would have to go if I get the ND5 to get the funds to afford it.  I will audition, but ideas are welcome: which way to go?

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by analogmusic

Yes I’d get the nd5 xs 2

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Gazza

Another vote for nd5 XS2. The Core is very convenient, but the nd5 should improve the SQ, sure a dealer would loan you one.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by ChrisSU
Gazza posted:

Another vote for nd5 XS2. The Core is very convenient, but the nd5 should improve the SQ

Would it, though? The Core has a very good SPDIF output, so I think a careful listen would be needed. 

No harm in trying both. I have not heard the dacv1, but Naim were able to demo the ND5xs2 with Supernait comfortably sounding better than a 272/250. Not sure the Core would make such a big difference and I am a Core owner/fan.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by hungryhalibut
Gazza posted:

No harm in trying both. I have not heard the dacv1, but Naim were able to demo the ND5xs2 with Supernait comfortably sounding better than a 272/250. 

Really? I was in the very same demo and thought the 272/250 was much better than the ND5/SN2, which sounded anaemic by comparison. The OP’s whole system is an unknown quantity, yet relevant. Is the V1 serving as preamp? If so, selling it would present a challenge. 

Let me clarify to my ears Naim were able to demo an increased level of detail going from 272/250 to ND5xs2; then on up to NDX2 and nd555 to my ears. In terms of actual musical enjoyment I would never have bought any of them as I could not get past those awful speakers....even the last system at £100 k or more. And yet there were people in the same room who loved those speakers, we all hear things differently. So for the OP a dealer will easily be able to demo or loan you both of those products.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by John bqe

Hi all, thanks for your thoughts. This is only my second ‘post’ & I assumed my system would show up with my question ????. MM into Dac V1 (via USB) using Audirvana, Goldring GR1/stageline, CD5i, 202, napsc/flatcap xs, 200, ATC scm11/2.

99% of the time listening via Audirvana; love the sound, but can it be bettered with one of the sources I’ve mentioned? ????

Your system details are visible on your profile page (not for long, though!)

As you can probably tell from the discussion above, you’re going to have to use your own ears to decide which option sounds best. That’s what makes a good dealer invaluable. Have fun....

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by John bqe

Having just read that the ND5XS 2 cannot, unless 3rd party app used, stream to non Naim speakers I think I’ll save a ‘few bob’ & go for the core as I believe the V1’s got the same chip as the nd5 xs2 (?)

It has the same chip, but Naim with this new streaming platform and dac implementation has moved things on from a SQ perspective. However, the Core does a good job of ripping and playback, editing metadata is better than at launch....but some classical music lovers are still unhappy.

John bqe posted:

Having just read that the ND5XS 2 cannot, unless 3rd party app used, stream to non Naim speakers I think I’ll save a ‘few bob’ & go for the core as I believe the V1’s got the same chip as the nd5 xs2 (?)

When you say ‘non-Naim speakers’ do you mean non-Naim streamers? Naim multiroom is, like most  proprietary multiroom systems, only going to work with other Naim hardware. However, tge ND5XS2 also has a UPnP server built in, and this is accessible to any auPnP streamer, not just Naim. It will only play from local USB storage, though.