Vinyl LP cleaning habits

Posted by: Alley Cat on 13 January 2019

A few things have run through my mind regarding this recently:

1 - Do you always clean the record prior to first play or check it for major faults requiring return first?

I tend to play the album first, but I guess this could just make any gunk or tiny particles more embedded and difficult for fluid to remove afterwards?

2 - How many times?

If a clean gives a good improvement but there are still some niggling pops/clicks do you try again?

3 - How many solutions?

I seem to have gravitated to using IPA based London Jazz solution followed by Project or L'art du son for some reason, assuming the IPA may be more efficacious dissolving certain compounds.  Should probably use multiple brushes if I'm doing so in case of any reactions between the two on a wet brush but haven't so far.

4 - Do you rinse?

I don't so far but any merits doing a final rinse with distilled/purified water?

5 - How often?

Once enough? Or with frequently played LPs/those that might gather dust if left on the platter too long, do you repeat clean from time to time?

6 - Have you found any significant improvements cleaning an LP on a budget cleaner vs a premium one later on?

Suspect there are no hard and fast scientific answers here, it's all a bit of an indulgent ceremony I suppose, though would not be surprised if someone has explored these questions in the past.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Jonners

Good topic. I have not yet bought a proper machine to clean my records so use a shop bought mix of alcahol and distilled water. I squirt this on liberally, leave for a few seconds then wipe of with 3 microfibre cloths. Thing is, I find this leaves a small amount of fluff the needle collects. I can't seem to remove pops and crackles though.

I think once cleaned and stored in paper sleeves there's no need to clean again. I have to watch for static build-up from the LP12 mat and shake it from time to time to ensure there's no fluff and hairs collecting. I always keep the lid down to protect it.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Alley Cat

I got a Project cleaner last year - a rather impulsive purchase as I noticed the dealer was offering a cleaning service in store, and when I asked if they stocked them they did so I got one there and then.  Not perfect but pretty good in all honesty, though I'm sorely tempted to wear ear protectors when using the vacuum function!

I used to use Hunt cleaning fluid in the 80's (the one with the immiscible clear/blue liquids in the same bottle) which had plastic applicator brushes with stick on 'velvet' cleaning pads you applied liquid to - it made a significant difference I found despite being low tech. 

Used to like the old Hunt dust brushes too - I bought an Audio Technica 'version' last year and was disappointed to find it produced numerous tiny micro-scratches on the LP - my original ones never did.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Bart

I've been doing a lot of reading with a tt incoming, but no practical experience.  Those with ultrasonic cleaners seem to clean ONCE, and that's it -- maybe just a dry carbon fibre brush per play.  And store in anti-static sleeves (e.g. MOFI). No need for ZeroStat or repeated cleanings.

I cannot justify an ultrasonic rcm, but there are kits where you buy a basic ultrasonic bath (those are pretty inexpensive actually) and the kit hardware mounts on top and spins the records in the bath for a predetermined period of time.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Bart, just get a Pro-Ject RCM.  So easy to use - you only need clean once and then place in a fresh anti-static inner - and the results are excellent. The best news - it's well designed and (mostly) well built, and it costs a fraction is the other alternatives. Mine is a Mk.1.5 unit, the current Mk.2s I'm told are even better.  But do get a lid for it...

Richard Dane posted:

Bart, just get a Pro-Ject RCM.  So easy to use - you only need clean once and then place in a fresh anti-static inner - and the results are excellent. The best news - it's well designed and (mostly) well built, and it costs a fraction is the other alternatives. Mine is a Mk.1.5 unit, the current Mk.2s I'm told are even better.  But do get a lid for it...

Thanks so much Richard -- I shall take your advice   Those $5000 ultrasonics look compelling but totally not appropriate for me!

Edit:  Spin-Clean Mk II with the lid and all accessories is $149.00.  THAT won't break the bank or use up black box budget.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Drewy

I reckon the two options you have is either Richard’s recommendation or a Loricraft. It’s simply down to how much you can justify spending. I have a Loricraft and it’s fantastic but I do admit Richard’s is a more sensible purchase.

Bart posted:

Edit:  Spin-Clean Mk II with the lid and all accessories is $149.00.  THAT won't break the bank or use up black box budget.

Bart, get the Pro-Ject.  Its the least expensive RCM I can recommend without any serious reservations, and in fact, I regularly ask myself whether I actually need or even want anything more from a record cleaning machine*.

*OK, yes, a Loricraft would be nice, I admit.

Richard Dane posted:
Bart posted:

Bart, get the Pro-Ject.  Its the least expensive RCM I can recommend without any serious reservations, and in fact, I regularly ask myself whether I actually need or even want anything more from a record cleaning machine*.

*OK, yes, a Loricraft would be nice, I admit.

OK I may have ordered the wrong one! Spin Clean is sold by Pro-Ject.  With a "MK II" designation. They also sell the VC-S rcm.  Which one exactly?

The Project RCM is called the VC-S.  It looks like this:

The "Spin Clean" would not be my recommendation, although I recognise it does have its fans who want something to clean an LP without spending more than a round of drinks.

p.s My apologies, I wasn't aware that the "Spin Clean" was now sold by Pro-Ject. 

Super - thanks Richard. Being Sunday it was easy to cancel the Spin Clean order. The VC-S is a nice dinner out with a nice wine.  Seeing as we both gave up alcohol, the savings go elsewhere

Bart posted:

Super - thanks Richard. Being Sunday it was easy to cancel the Spin Clean order. The VC-S is a nice dinner out with a nice wine.  Seeing as we both gave up alcohol, the savings go elsewhere

Bart, did you say you only have around 30 LPs currently?  If so, might be worth seeing if a local dealer could clean these LPs for you, as it may be quite economical, unless you intend to buy lots of older/new vinyl of course, or it's not just your wife's old vinyl you have.

Bart, all you need to do now is order in some distilled water.  I buy in 1 litre bottles via mail order - get the purest you can (usually labelled as medical grade or similar).  You then dilute the supplied cleaning fluid with the distilled water and make up a diluted cleaning solution. It's also worth getting a dropper bottle or similar so it's easy to apply.  I use my old Diskwasher fluid bottle and it works a treat, making it really easy to apply just enough fluid onto the LP side so it can be scrubbed and get up a good lather without overdoing it before vacuuming off.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by RaceTripper

I love my Okki Nokki. I used it to clean every one of my 3000+ LPs over the last 7-8 years and still runs like a champ. I would like a sonic cleaner – like the Audio Desk –  but they are much more expensive.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by FangfossFlyer

A few years ago I bought a Keith Monks DiscoveryOne RCM, was delighted and never looked back as regards record cleaning.

Ever since, I never play an uncleaned LP, always clean new LPs and place them in clean paper/poly liners. 

Last year I bought an Audio Desk ultrasonic RCM which is right up their with the rest of my kit in terms of musical enjoyment. Not cheap, but well worth it for me.

Richard

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by christoph
RaceTripper posted:

I love my Okki Nokki. I used it to clean every one of my 3000+ LPs over the last 7-8 years and still runs like a champ. I would like a sonic cleaner – like the Audio Desk –  but they are much more expensive.

Here in Germany, sometimes there are offers of used audio desk machines, serviced by the manufacturer,  for a very good price. I bought one of these and the sound upgrade is like buying a new black box.  

I clean the record each time before I play it.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by RaceTripper
christoph posted:
RaceTripper posted:

Here in Germany, sometimes there are offers of used audio desk machines, serviced by the manufacturer,  for a very good price. I bought one of these and the sound upgrade is like buying a new black box.  

Lately in the US they have been offered for $1000 discount, but they're still well over $3000. I think I paid $500 for my Okki Nokki. Maybe someday I will step up to one.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Kevin-W

I bought an Audiodesk Systeme ultrasonic RCM back in Aptil 2016. Expensive at over £2,000 but worth it in terms of: quieter records; improved SQ; longer sylus/cart life it's been worth every penny. It's very easy to use - you put the record in the slopt, set the washing/drying time and away you go. A cycle takes 4-6 minutes including blow dry and it's all automatic.

Since buying this machine every record that hasn't been through it gets a good going over - that includes brand new LPs.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by petzhou

I bought a Project Mk 2 towards the end of the year. It's very good,simple to use and - in my opinion great value. However I read a review about a new machine in a magazine around Christmas.  The world hasn't seen anything like it apparantly and all our machines should be used for landfill!!

Alley Cat posted:
Bart posted:

Bart, did you say you only have around 30 LPs currently?  If so, might be worth seeing if a local dealer could clean these LPs for you, as it may be quite economical, unless you intend to buy lots of older/new vinyl of course, or it's not just your wife's old vinyl you have.

I've thought about that approach.  The guy locally who advertises - well he won't email me back.  

A local shop will do it for $2/lp, but them I'm already $60 into it and I'm sure I'll buy some more that require cleaning.  

christoph posted:

With the automated cleaning of your Audio Desk it would be easy to do so I guess.

Kevin-W posted:

I bought an Audiodesk Systeme ultrasonic RCM back in Aptil 2016. Expensive at over £2,000 but worth it in terms of: quieter records; improved SQ; longer sylus/cart life it's been worth every penny. It's very easy to use - you put the record in the slopt, set the washing/drying time and away you go. A cycle takes 4-6 minutes including blow dry and it's all automatic.

Since buying this machine every record that hasn't been through it gets a good going over - that includes brand new LPs.

It's $4500.00 here in the States now.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by French Rooster

i use isopropyl diluted in 20% water and clean records only sometimes, using sterile compresses, the lp turning on the platter.     For me, the most important is to get a near mint or mint copy , that i find usually on discogs.   I am keeping only my favorite lps, selling the ones i don’t listen to.   I very very rarely hear cracks or noise.

Before each listening i use an anti static brush.    

Bart posted:
Kevin-W posted:

It's $4500.00 here in the States now.

That’s heavy, I bought mine for 1500 Euro.

Alley Cat posted:
christoph posted:

With the automated cleaning of your Audio Desk it would be easy to do so I guess.

Yes, very simple to use