Dac v1 Mac mini synology nas

Posted by: pit on 13 January 2019

dear all

i own dac v1 with could be usb connected to Mac or to  synology.

music library is on synology 

What is the suggested config?

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by ChrisSU

I doubt the NAS has a suitable USB output to run into a V1. The tried and tested way would be to use the Mac via USB, optimised by running Audirvana on it. 

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Foot tapper

Hi PIT,
It would seem that my system is very similar to yours.

NAS drive and Mac both connected to a Netgear switch with CAT6 cables.

MAC plays itunes with the Bitperfect app installed to improve sound quality at almost zero cost.

USB cable from Mac to Naim DAC-V1 and then from dac to amp.

Hope this helps, FT

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by pit
Foot tapper posted:

Hi PIT,

MAC plays itunes with the Bitperfect app installed to improve sound quality at almost zero cost.

USB cable from Mac to Naim DAC-V1 and then from dac to amp.

Hope this helps, FT

Do u use synology as upnp server broadcasted to mac?

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander

Audirvana on Mac Mini, if fully optimised sounds better than just using the Mac’s software and drivers. Connection to V1 would be USB, and as long as the V1 has good RF rejection - and I’ve not heard anything to suggest it doesn’t) then you can get sound quality up with the likes of Melco N1A. If you really want iTunes, Audirvana allows you to use it as the interface, however it is said to have an adverse effect on sound quality  (though that is not something I have evaluated).

Although Audirvana can play files from a networked NAS, storing the music on the MM, either internal or using external directly connected drives, gives the added advantage of not streaming music across your network while you play (not necessarily a problem, but one less variable and potential source if problems). The Synology in that mode could be used readily for backup purposes.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Foot tapper
pit posted:
Foot tapper posted:

Hi PIT,

Do u use synology as upnp server broadcasted to mac?

Hi Pit, yes, exactly that.