New speakers to 252/300

Posted by: Andib on 13 January 2019

Happy new year to everybody!

Thinking about new LS this year. Any recommendations?

My current system:

252/SCDR / 300 / 802D /

Bauer TT / CDX2 / ND5XS2

Listening to rock, pop and classic - so I am looking for an allrounder. Rock perhaps is most important.

I liked Harbeth and Sonus Faber. Dali and Dynaudio I owned were ok but I think I prefer a bigger soundstage. My 802 I love but I need something new with more resolution and “freedom”, a bit quicker perhaps.

Difficult? Limit is 10-12k, preloved allowed but not necessarily..

Thank you for any advices,

AndiB

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by RaceTripper

I would love to hear my Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum with a 252/300, but have to settle for a 282/HCDR/250DR. I'm in a room that's a bit smallish for the speakers but I have managed to dial them in pretty well and they throw a nice big, accurate soundstage. They are also very revealing and fast. It doesn't matter what kind of music I throw at them. They always sound great. Very neutral presentation, allowing the music to flow through on its own.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by douglas

Well, if you have 802, not specified, go hear 802D3! They are an ear and eye opener from the D2.

I found a home demo, although my mind was pretty up before hand, clinched the deal.

Have had them for 7 months. No going back.

Douglas.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Andib
RaceTripper posted:

I would love to hear my Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum with a 252/300, but have to settle for a 282/HCDR/250DR. I'm in a room that's a bit smallish for the speakers but I have managed to dial them in pretty well and they throw a nice big, accurate soundstage. They are also very revealing and fast. It doesn't matter what kind of music I throw at them. They always sound great. Very neutral presentation, allowing the music to flow through on its own.

Sounds very interesting! IThanks a lot. I will demo them. 

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)

Kudos 606 or 707 or Neat XL6.  

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by wenger2015

Focal Sopra 2’s ? or kudos 606.?

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Huge

The ones that suit your room best! 

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by analogmusic

With that rig I’d look at a source upgrade. Seriously. 

Your streamer isn’t good enough for the amp or soeakers

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by MangoMonkey

The super 20s keep getting better - and sound better even when going from 300 to 500 and even tell the difference between the nds and 555.

for low risk entry I to the kudos world the S20s would be great for you. These were voiced with the nap300.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by boom
wenger2015 posted:

Focal Sopra 2’s ? or kudos 606.?

+1

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Allan Milne

As Douglas posted, you don't specify the 802 model and the D3 versions are well worth the listen - I have 803D3 and they are keepers.

I haven't done the comparison but others have said that the D3 range allows you to go "down" a model number so the old 802 are comparable with the new 803D3, the latter being compared very favourably with the former.

Allan

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by antony d

another vote for the Kudos new T range - floor standers 606, but also don't rule out the new T505 they are on my list with my 300

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Andib

Thank you all! Nice ideas to try out..

[@mention:32541172399177463] and [@mention:22262699359623299]: 252/SCDR / 300 / 802D - So the first diamonds. Looks like a good idea to demo the d3s. Thank you. They are at least an optical improvement in comparison to mine.. And I think much more!

The Kudos world is a bit new to me. 2015 I didn’t liked them very much. But I heared they have changed their sound. Is this true? Could anyone describe their sound?

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Zackwater
analogmusic posted:

I sorta agree, and I know where you can get a gently used (because  I traded it in for a 555) NDS from Tyler.  He also is the man for Kudos. The prices on used nds’s is without a doubt the best bargain in the hifi world. But on topic, 606 or 707 Kudos. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Mulberry
analogmusic posted:

... a fine idea if the streamer is the main or at least an important source. The CDX and turntable (I have to say this) should be fine.

As B&W speakers never were my cup of tea, I might be unqualified to suggest something or perhaps just the right one. Anyway, judging from your opening post, I'd take a look at a used pair of Sonus faber Elipsas and the Square 3 and 5 (new) from Wilson Benesch. Both surely different to what you have right now.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by stuart.ashen

I have used SBLs with a 252/300 since 2004 and they are a superb match. You could pick up a good pair for well under 1k and release the funds for other stuff. I am a one trick pony with this advice, and give it freely on a regular basis. But if you like their strengths they are still hard to beat.

I am not a fan of more modern designs from , for example, Linn or Kudos, at least in my limited experience of them.

Stu