XP5XS worthwhile for HDX

Posted by: stephen70 on 14 January 2019

Hi everybody,

my dealer offers me an ex-demo XP5XS at a 30% discount for my HDX. It's still about 1.5k...

Is the effect worth the money?

Grateful for your shared experience!

Best

Stephan

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by james n

I think you'd get more bang for your buck by adding a Naim DAC (probably about the same price for a good used example). What's the rest of the system ?

James

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by trickydickie

That sounds too much to me, you should be able to find a used XPS (non DR) for about that, or a little less which will be much better.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by stephen70
james n posted:

I think you'd get more bang for your buck by adding a Naim DAC (probably about the same price for a good used example). What's the rest of the system ?

James

Thanks,

the rest is quite modest:

Unison research Simply Italy tube amp
Tannoy Stirling SE

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by mattl

I second the advice of adding a Naim DAC.

The HDX makes a great digital transport and the Naim DAC really shows its best when fed with a good quality digital feed.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by james n

That's a nice system - i'd still take the DAC option 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by MDS

I'm a fan of the XP5XS and still have one but a 30% discount on a product that Naim stopped making a while ago doesn't seem a bargain to me. In any event, I agree with James n and others:  a second hand nDAC would give you a bigger performance lift. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by ChrisSU

Do the demo and decide for yourself, but if you like it, haggle! 

I like the NDAC idea, too, another discontinued product you might get a good deal on. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by HiFiman

Sounds too pricey sold my mint XP5xs excluding burndy (used this with my 555dr) for £600 personally I think between £600 for an early unit to a max of £1000 for ex demo.