The Naits compared

Posted by: Jan-Erik Nordoen on 13 January 2014

I'm wrapping up the review of the Nait 5si, the last in the series for Son & Image Magazine. Despite being the entry level integrated, the Nait 5si has been making a very strong statement in my listening room for the past three weeks. It is simply the most immediately likeable of the three Naits, a sonic signature shared with the UnitiQute and UnitiLite.

I've been trying to arrive at a meaningful conclusion for the three amps and came up with the graph below, which compares the amps on five criteria that I've found meaningful :

1. Immediate involvement with music
2. Depth of insight into music
3. Listening ease
4. Ability to play softly and maintain interest
5. Ability to play loudly without strain
6. Realistic representation of scale

I've purposely avoided descriptions of sound, as I don't find them very useful indicators of involvement with music. The scale is not absolute ; I've used 10 as the "best" in this comparison. If the Statement's performance was factored in though, a logarithmic scale would probably be required ! So, for what it's worth (and being interested in your feedback)...

YMMV

Posted on: 13 January 2014 by gary yeowell

I wouldn't dispute your findings, as i have always thought the original 5i more fun and engaging than the XS, and the XS much more fun than the Supernait. The Nait 2 for my money beats the 5i, and therefore them all, so long as it's paired with a reasonably easy to drive speaker.

Posted on: 13 January 2014 by m0omo0

Brilliant, Jan !

No real feedback, as I've not had the chance to listen to any of these amps, but I think it's a smart and simple way to summarize visually what has been said numerous times on the forum about the different ranges. Could be very useful for newbies (before they go for a proper audition).

And I like your choice of criteria !

PS: Happy New Year !

Posted on: 13 January 2014 by Marky Mark

I like your five measures Jan-Erik. For me the fourth is the mark of a good amplifier.

Posted on: 13 January 2014 by Jan-Erik Nordoen

Thanks gents.

Gary, I've never heard the Nait 2 ; I started at the Nait 3 (fun but rough) then went to the original Nait 5, which I still have. I would love to pit the Ion Obelisk 2 against the Nait 2, but I don't know anyone nearby who has that Nait.

Maurice, thanks, and Robert Gordon (muni de sa "banane") is waiting for you over in the music room.

Mark, as for listening softly, yes, it's a major criterion for me too. The Obelisk 2 ( and its Heed descendents) are masters at this. Still, I'm really looking forward to going back to the SN2 once the review of the 5si is over.

What I've found fascinating over the course of the reviews is how the "immediate involvement with the music" trades off with "depth of insight" as one moves up the range. I wonder if this is deliberately engineered in or simply the result of the engineering decisions that lead to more "depth of insight"?

Meanwhile, to everyone, a happy new year, which I'm sure will yield a few interesting surprises from our formerly green elves in Salisbury.

Jan

Posted on: 13 January 2014 by CharlieP

Jan-Eric,  i too like your well considered criteria, and also the graphical depiction.  It must be a challenge, however, to assign a quantitative assessment of these Criteria.

I have not yet heard the new Naits, so cannot contribute other than to say your assessment is in keeping with my expectations.  But that counts for little.

Cheers,

Charlie

Posted on: 13 January 2014 by Drew Turner

Good call Jan. The "depth of insight" you gain with the SN2 seems to come  with a certain loss of immediacy that I hear with the two lower priced models. IMO. What I hear with  the SN2 is that everything is set further back . Images are spread out and given equal measure and kind of diluted. With the lower priced models,  with a Jazz quartet for instance.... a   Sax  soloist  is right up front, rich and palpable with the rhythm  set behind it.   There is definitely a trade off. Still haven't decided which presentation works best for me.  Did you actually purchase the SN2 Jan ?

Thanks Charlie. I think of the numbers more as visual aids in setting the distance from the reference, for each criterion. I find it's a two-step process : once in the spreadsheet then adjustment after seeing them graphically. In fact, the numbers could be removed from the graph with no loss of information.

Hi Drew, Yes, I found that there was a trade-off between immediacy and depth of insight. With the SN2, the immediacy is there though if you wick up the volume. I bought the SN2... after lengthy dithering... (the XS2 came close). In the end, I went for depth. I need it for all the obscure CDs my cousin keeps sending me from Norway ( the latest is The Norwegian Wind Ensemble's The Brass From Utopia - A Frank Zappa Tribute.... )

Anyway, if I had started the review series with the 5si, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. An incredible amount of musical talent in a very unassuming package.

Jan

Posted on: 13 January 2014 by Drew Turner

Sounds like an interesting recording. Really appreciate your insight Jan.When will your review of the the 3 Naits be available to read ? I wish I could speak French . Are you using the Naim Nac 5 speaker cable Jan ? So far I haven't been able to hear why this cable is so beloved amongst Naimophiles ??? Best, Drew

Hi Drew,

The essence of the SN2 review can be found here (about a third of the way down the page) :

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...-perspective?page=11

The XS2 review is just out in electronic format, and later this week in printed version. I'll translate the listening section and post it here.

The 5si review is not completed yet, but it's almost writing itself!

I use BIS Audio Vivat speaker cables.

Jan

Posted on: 13 January 2014 by DynFan160

Brilliant graphic with a wonderful choice of criteria!

The SN2 "wins" 4/6 categories.

-Point 1 needs additional explanation. One can assume that with the SN2 one becomes involved but at a slower rate.  This needs additional explanation. Is this on a per-session basis? Are we talking minutes? Hours? And does this all change based upon burn-in?

-Point 4 sounds more technical. I am disappointed in this. But on the other side of the coin Point 5 is also important to me when I want to give it the juice. I want both.

Which of the 3 is best for classic rock? Indie rock? Trance?

I will have the chance to audition the XS2 and SN2 directly in the next few weeks. I just don't think the 5si has the power to do my Focus 160s justice.

Looking forward to your final conclusions!

Thanks for all your hard work!

Posted on: 13 January 2014 by DynFan160

BTW, what is your source for all this? CD? DAC?

Posted on: 13 January 2014 by joerand

Point 1 suggests that the more sophisticated the sound, the more of an otic adjustment required to "learn" the sound signature. Maybe due to the rarity of hearing reproduction at that quality. I'm always amazed that my $200 car stereo rolling down the highway at 70 mph can get me as involved with the music as any Naim gear, just at a different level.

I like the graphic comparison. Quantitative measures would make it simple for you to calculate a VFM factor based on the MSRP. Who would the winner be then? Probably not the SN. The 5 and XS would be close to each other.

Posted on: 14 January 2014 by Bart
Originally Posted by joerand:

Point 1 suggests that the more sophisticated the sound, the more of an otic adjustment required to "learn" the sound signature. Maybe due to the rarity of hearing reproduction at that quality. I'm always amazed that my $200 car stereo rolling down the highway at 70 mph can get me as involved with the music as any Naim gear, just at a different level.

I like the graphic comparison. Quantitative measures would make it simple for you to calculate a VFM factor based on the MSRP. Who would the winner be then? Probably not the SN. The 5 and XS would be close to each other.

Randy, great points.

I could submit on the VFM point that we probably do not each value each characteristic the same.  Thus simply dividing the area of each polygon by the cost of the unit might not yield a 'value per square inch' that is the same for each of us. 

It's a topic I'm sometimes interested in -- the use of quantitative values to express what is ultimately qualitative.  I get that at work all the time.  "What's the chance we will win that lawsuit?"  People want a number, and of course I give them one.  This does NOT detract from Jan-Eric's excellent quantitative and qualitative assessments; bravo, J-E! Brilliant!

Posted on: 14 January 2014 by Jan-Erik Nordoen
Originally Posted by DynFan160:

BTW, what is your source for all this? CD? DAC?

UnitiServe (+ linear PS) > DC1 > Naim DAC + TXPS > AR Sound Lunar DIN-DIN (or HiLine)

Originally Posted by DynFan160:

Brilliant graphic with a wonderful choice of criteria!

The SN2 "wins" 4/6 categories.

Provided that your priorities match those categories

-Point 1 needs additional explanation. One can assume that with the SN2 one becomes involved but at a slower rate.  This needs additional explanation. Is this on a per-session basis? Are we talking minutes? Hours? And does this all change based upon burn-in?

For me, the immediate involvement is just that : immediate, and generally with most of the music played. I wouldn't try to extrapolate beyond that. The SN2 gave me less overall immediacy, but provided enough glimpses of some very intriguing places, that I found it ultimately irresistable. Those insights gained in frequency as the unit burned in. The 500 hour-mark quoted by Garmtz seemed outrageous when I first read it, but I now agree.

-Point 4 sounds more technical. I am disappointed in this. But on the other side of the coin Point 5 is also important to me when I want to give it the juice. I want both.

Only listening tests with your equipment in your room can answer this.

Which of the 3 is best for classic rock? Indie rock? Trance?

Any of them. But the SN2 will take you the furthest into each genre. It depends on how much musical insight you want. 

I will have the chance to audition the XS2 and SN2 directly in the next few weeks. I just don't think the 5si has the power to do my Focus 160s justice.

You may be surprised !

Looking forward to your final conclusions!

That was the point of the spiderweb graph...

Thanks for all your hard work!

It ain't work

Posted on: 14 January 2014 by uroš

Interesting. Many times I preferred "lesser" amps to the more powerful or more expansive ones, just never gave it much thought why and what exactly.

I am wondering where would UnitiLite stand on your graph?

Posted on: 14 January 2014 by Jonn

It's still just somebodies opinion. Presenting it as a graph does not make it any more or less valid.

Agreed, it's a sample size of one. We could validate it with a large enough sample (e.g.,10, depending on variability) for each comparison. A mean value and confidence interval would tell us where the average opinion lies and how much spread there is for each criterion.

This could be run as a poll and would require listeners who have extended experience with two or more of the units.

On the other hand, one person's opinion can be useful if your experience coincides enough with that of the reviewer. In my case, Art Dudley comes to mind. I find his thoughts on musical reproduction align fairly well with what I'm looking for.

Posted on: 14 January 2014 by Massimo Bertola

Very interesting, Jan, thanks.

Having owned the Nait, the Nait5, the 5i, the Nait XS and the Supernait I feel stimulated to gather my impressions and post them if of any interest.

Coming back,

Max

Posted on: 14 January 2014 by Tim F

Jan, nice write-up, and I enjoyed the graph-reminds me of a sticky spider web, in which all this audio comparison business sure can be at times! Tim

Originally Posted by maxbertola:

Having owned the Nait, the Nait5, the 5i, the Nait XS and the Supernait I feel stimulated to gather my impressions and post them if of any interest.

Coming back,

Max

That would be very useful Max.

("Coming back"... from where ?)

Posted on: 14 January 2014 by CharlieP

Jan,

The more I think about your criteria, the more useful they appear to me.   I think you have the makings for a most useful discussion - perhaps you should devote an article to it (your assessment criteria)?  

I would like to acquire more insight into what design, construction and setup variables affect performance in each of these criteria.  I suspect people at Naim have a good handle on this.  I would also like to know whether some recordings would distinguish or favor performance in certain of these criteria.  

In particular, I have been thinking about 1 vs 2:  Immediate Involvement vs Insight.  

• I have just recently been assessing digital playback mechanisms, with observations that are well served by (1) and (2).  Playing with iTunes through optical out to DAC surprised me as being "fun" on a few music tracks (can't remember which!); but streaming to Qute, coax to DAC is clearly more coherent and insightful.  The iTunes approach is splashier and sources wander about - it almost sounds a bit "louder" if you associate distortion with "loud."  Is this the "excitement?"
  • I think my (non-audiophile) casual listener friends (of course, not forum members) can be hooked by (1), especially in rapid A/B comparisons. 

The most puzzling to me is (4), Play Softly with Interest.  My first reaction is that should be mostly applied to speakers, not so much for electronics.  But assuming good speakers, could it be the "excitement" of distortion makes the lower priced gear sound "louder" at lower levels?  I suspect there is only certain music where this effect would be perceived favorably?

I use the word "distortion" loosely here.  It comes in many forms.  Large signal issues may effect only (5), but micro vibration, thermal variation and supply regulation contribute "distortion" at lower signal levels.

Again, thanks for this thread!

Charlie

Posted on: 14 January 2014 by m0omo0
Originally Posted by maxbertola:
Coming back,

Max

Hey ! What are you doing here !?   Happy New Year then !

PS: I owe you a mail.

Originally Posted by CharlieP:

Jan,

The more I think about your criteria, the more useful they appear to me.   I think you have the makings for a most useful discussion - perhaps you should devote an article to it (your assessment criteria)?  

I drew them up for a sidebar that will accompany the Nait 5si review, as a means of summarizing the three integrated amps. But yes, I can see the interest in expanding on them a bit. Perhaps a short description of each. 

I would like to acquire more insight into what design, construction and setup variables affect performance in each of these criteria.  I suspect people at Naim have a good handle on this.  I would also like to know whether some recordings would distinguish or favor performance in certain of these criteria.  

In particular, I have been thinking about 1 vs 2:  Immediate Involvement vs Insight.  

• I have just recently been assessing digital playback mechanisms, with observations that are well served by (1) and (2).  Playing with iTunes through optical out to DAC surprised me as being "fun" on a few music tracks (can't remember which!); but streaming to Qute, coax to DAC is clearly more coherent and insightful.  The iTunes approach is splashier and sources wander about - it almost sounds a bit "louder" if you associate distortion with "loud."  Is this the "excitement?"

While louder and more distorted may at first seem more exciting, it wears thin quickly (think Linn Index speakers...). I believe that the "immediate involvement" comes more from a realistic reproduction of dynamics, in other words, the amplified signal accurately tracking the source signal. The attention that Naim lavish on power supplies is (to me) a huge factor in assuring a lifelike reproduction of the musical transients that trick us into believing we're listening to the real thing. Along with that I would surmise that anything that smears the transients in the amplification chain will reduce the apparent dynamics and the sense of immediate interest and involvement.

• I think my (non-audiophile) casual listener friends (of course, not forum members) can be hooked by (1), especially in rapid A/B comparisons. 

The most puzzling to me is (4), Play Softly with Interest.  My first reaction is that should be mostly applied to speakers, not so much for electronics.  But assuming good speakers, could it be the "excitement" of distortion makes the lower priced gear sound "louder" at lower levels?  I suspect there is only certain music where this effect would be perceived favorably?

Again, I would ascribe this to dynamics. Components vary in their ability to maintain a good sense of musical dynamics at low volumes. Non linearity perhaps ? The Bryston Mini T speakers for example are superb at moderate to high volumes, but lose (to my ears) dynamics at low levels.  

I use the word "distortion" loosely here.  It comes in many forms.  Large signal issues may effect only (5), but micro vibration, thermal variation and supply regulation contribute "distortion" at lower signal levels.

Certainly, anything that lowers the noise level of the lower signal levels will pay huge benefits, as this noise gets amplified downstream. This is where attention to preamp power supplies brings such benefits, notably the DR regulation. The resolution of fine detail picks up remarkably. But that doesn't explain why the Nait 5si and the XS2, which don't have the DR regs, capture more immediately than the SN2, which does have it. I think Drew described it best in his reply : the XS amps (and the 5si) present the focal point more forward than the SN, and to my ears more solidly. This helps in the immediate engagement, although why they present this way remains a mystery to me, but certainly not to Naim's engineers.

Again, thanks for this thread!

and thanks for you thoughts!

Charlie