Does power line improve Nova?

Posted by: John L F on 18 August 2018

I wondered if anybody has tried using power line rather than the supplied lite on a Nova and if so is it a worthwhile improvement?

Posted on: 18 August 2018 by ChrisSU

My impression is that there has never been unanimous agreement on the benefits of a Powerline on any particular device, so if I were you, I would just reach your own conclusions using your ears. You could ask a dealer for a demo, but I would look out for a used one, live with it for a while, and see if you miss it when you put the Lite back in. Then you can flog it for little or no loss.

Posted on: 18 August 2018 by hifi-dog

I bought a used one for my nova... deffo worth it and the powerline lite is now on my innuos...

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by John L F

The effectiveness of the power line improvement seems to be dependent on the existing supply into your property.

I wonder how you go about measuring the quality of your supply and whether it is worthwhile fitting a voltage optimiser.

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Obsydian

I went life to full fat, yes it was better, but the Chord Signature trounced it in every way, I did try a Sarum but found that a bit odd, the former was more neutral.

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by MichaeldeWaard

I use a Nordost Brahma powercable with my Nova and for me it makes the music much richer, more weight in the bass and cleaner sound overall.

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Pev

Full fat Powerline on my Nova and it's staying there  - the Powerline  Lite is in a box. I could try it on my NAS or my switch, but that way madness lies.....

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Obsydian
Pev posted:

Full fat Powerline on my Nova and it's staying there  - the Powerline  Lite is in a box. I could try it on my NAS or my switch, but that way madness lies.....

I use my Powerline life on my switch and TV ????, just awaiting a Belden version for both as to me for the non Naim bits, i.e. router, sky box a definite improvement.

On the Cisco switch the Powerline replaced a standard old style Naim lead which for me kept things neutral, the Powerline just kept that, I also tried it on my wireworld 6 way block again nice and neutral.

If you have one just try it ????

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Freedomsounds

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could describe the differences they heard in the Nova when switching  to a Powerline (full fat) ???

Have been thinking about it foe my next upgrade & would a little more info. Thanks

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by hifi-dog

Mine made a difference to the whole presentation and helped the musical picture with better soundstage and seperation

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Pev

I agree with Hifi-dog but the only way to tell is to borrow one and see what it does in your system (any half decent dealer will oblige). The effect will probably depend to some extent on system variables especially how good your mains electricity is.

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by Freedomsounds

Thank you for answering my questions. It makes sense about the quality of your mains electricity Pev. Thanks

One other question. One of the gentlemen in an earlier post on this tread (Obsydian) said that he thought that the Chord Signature trounced the Powerline (full fat) in every way ! 

I was wondering if Obsydian and/or anyone else who has had experiences with these cables could elaborate on the differences & dynamics between these 2 different power cables ? Thanks 

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by Klout10
Freedomsounds posted:

One of the gentlemen in an earlier post on this tread (Obsydian) said that he thought that the Chord Signature trounced the Powerline (full fat) in every way ! 

I always take these kind of comments with a pinch of salt :-)

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by marcusman

Dumb question from a North American, what does (full fat) mean? The internet’s are not too helpful :-)

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by Eoink
marcusman posted:

Dumb question from a North American, what does (full fat) mean? The internet’s are not too helpful :-)

It's a UK colloquialism. It's based on a comparison with milk, so full-fat milk as opposed to skimmed or semi-skimmed. So a full-fat Powerline is the Powerline, as opposed to the powerline Lite. Similar usage would be beers, so full-fat would be the full strength beer as opposed to a Lite version.

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by Gazza

In the UK there is a powerline lite standard with the product, this was introduced just a few years ago. It’s only UK as Naim deemed the std UK plug needed improvement, retails for £100 versus £600 for the Powerline which is fatter cable and bigger plugs each end, often referred as full fat to denote the difference.

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by marcusman

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. 

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by Freedomsounds

One other question Obsydian said that the Chord Singnature trounce trounced the Powerline in every way. I was wondering if Obsydian and/or anyone else who has had experience with these 2 cables could elaborate on the differences & dynamics of these 2 different power cables ??? Thanks

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by Bob the Builder
John L F posted:

The effectiveness of the power line improvement seems to be dependent on the existing supply into your property.

I wonder how you go about measuring the quality of your supply and whether it is worthwhile fitting a voltage optimiser.

This must be why one made no audible difference on my ND5XS, 200 or Hicap.

Posted on: 24 October 2018 by Obsydian
Freedomsounds posted:

One other question Obsydian said that the Chord Singnature trounce trounced the Powerline in every way. I was wondering if Obsydian and/or anyone else who has had experience with these 2 cables could elaborate on the differences & dynamics of these 2 different power cables ??? Thanks

Powerline was very minor for me, Chord was a more deeper bass and in general dynamics and extra details.

Posted on: 24 October 2018 by Freedomsounds

Thank you Obsydian for your reply. Would anyone else like to chime in on this subject !

Posted on: 24 October 2018 by Steve w

Can’t comment on the Chord , but the Powerline made a large difference to the soundstage of the Nova ( in height and width ) together with a “tighter “ bass.

l guess that the biggest problem is that there are so many possible variables within people’s systems , not least the individuals hearing and personal preferences ,which will result in so many differing views regarding each and every change / alteration .

steve w.

Thank you Steve w, for your comment.  I have access to a Powerline from my dealer, so will give it a try. Wish I had access to a Chord Signature , but being in the us I don’t know of any dealers. Will have to look into it. Thanks all !

Posted on: 24 October 2018 by Japtimscarlet

My powerline lite lays unloved under the sideboard...am I the only one who thinks they look cheap and Nasty and don't do much?

Posted on: 24 October 2018 by cdboy

I believe PowerLines are worthwhile. Those that have tried them keep them in my experience. Try one.