System Pics 2019

Posted by: hungryhalibut on 20 December 2018

Welcome to System Pics 2019.

To start things off, here is a picture of my setup. The only thing that has changed since last year is the addition of a maple Fraim to match the speakers. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Mike-B
hungryhalibut posted:

Mike, I don’t really know what’s going on, but mine is a 257xxx serial from 2008 and as you can see, it has an illuminated preset light. The box does have an RMA sticker so I guess it may have ended up with a different head or wiring or display or something. 

Looks like you have a one off,  whatever,  enjoy, it'll be hours of pleasure.

I've seen your note about not moving over to the new forum !! ??    We'll miss you,  & expect I say that from all the forum members,  but said in the hope (expectation) that you will as you've done before,  reemerge like a Phoenix.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by stuart.ashen

Sorry to hear you are not joining the new forum Nigel, I will miss your pithy contributions!

Stu

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by S3

Sorry to hear that Nigel. Why will you not be joining the new forum? Won’t you miss it?

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by JimDog

Bye Nigel - enjoy the grooves....!

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by hungryhalibut
S3 posted:

Sorry to hear that Nigel. Why will you not be joining the new forum? Won’t you miss it?

If you look at my recent posts you will see. I’m not going to sully System Pics by repeating anything here. It’s time to move on, into the sunny uplands of life outside the Naim Forum. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Ardbeg10y

No worries guys, I'm most confident that he will rejoin when the 272-2 is released.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by AndyP19
hungryhalibut posted:
S3 posted:

If you look at my recent posts you will see. I’m not going to sully System Pics by repeating anything here. It’s time to move on, into the sunny uplands of life outside the Naim Forum. 

I for one have enjoyed your posts and note that you’re one of the first to step in and offer sound advice. Also appears you don’t suffer fools gladly, which is not a bad thing in this day and age.

Why not take a sabbatical and hopefully catch up with us in the future. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by ewemon
hungryhalibut posted:
S3 posted:

A lot of members will be sorry to see you go more than they would me as some of your posts have been very informative. I don't post in the Hi Fi thread because I haven't heard a new bit of NAIM equipment in almost 20 years as I live so far away from my nearest NAIM dealer.

Funnily enough though I have been looking around as well and thinking about moving on, not because of the new froum but because I think I need a break.

Maybe withdrawal symptoms will kick in and I will join the new forum and start posting again but I seem to upset so many people that sometimes I don't feel it is worth being on the receiving end of some snide comments.

Probably should have posted this in another thread.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Mike-B
AndyP19 posted:

Why not take a sabbatical and hopefully catch up with us in the future. 

.........  he will be back disguised as Lord Emsworth no doubt

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Jeff Anderson
ewemon posted:
Maybe withdrawal symptoms will kick in and I will join the new forum and start posting again but I seem to upset so many people that sometimes I don't feel it is worth being on the receiving end of some snide comments.

Ewen, lM0 you have never done anything wrong, but would understand if a change/break seems appropriate.  You have brought endless joy to many in the Music Room. l am eternally grateful for your friendship and all you have taught me, Ewen.  Wishing nothing but the best for you and Mon.  Jeff A

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by nigelb

It is a great shame that HH and Ewemon will not be joining the new forum. I have probably followed the contributions of these two more than any others, HH for kit and Ewemon for music.

I do however understand the desire for a break and hope both will look in and possibly join in the new forum sometime in the future.

For now I would like to thank you both for your valuable and informed contribution over many years.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Eoink
Jeff Anderson posted:
ewemon posted:

Ewen, lM0 you have never done anything wrong, but would understand if a change/break seems appropriate.  You have brought endless joy to many in the Music Room. l am eternally grateful for your friendship and all you have taught me, Ewen.  Wishing nothing but the best for you and Mon.  Jeff A

Agreed, in my relatively short time on the forum I have discovered several new favourite artists through your (Ewen's) posts. Thanks very much.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by SamClaus
hungryhalibut posted:

I won’t be joining you on the new Forum so it’s time for someone new to take it on. I suspect Richard will start it off. 

I always enjoyed your contributions. Won't be the same.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Ravenswood10

I’ll give it 2 months says he sans emoticon! I may not have always agreed with you but you did add colour

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Clive B
hungryhalibut posted:

I won’t be joining you on the new Forum so it’s time for someone new to take it on. I suspect Richard will start it off. 

I shall miss your many contributions and comments, Nigel. I enjoyed meeting you in April in Salisbury. Hopefully you'll look in on the new forum occasionally and maybe rejoin when time is right?

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by R.K
hungryhalibut posted:

Mainly a lurker but will miss your contributions 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by HiFiman
hungryhalibut posted:

I must say, I didn’t notice the change, I just though how nice it looked. I’d certainly be interested in the reason for the change to Allaes. I’ve been inspired by HiFiman’s one speaker portrait to do the mirror image. I picked up an extra Fraim shelf and a 2008 NAT05 very recently, which has made itself very much at home and sounds delightful. 

Setup looks fantastic HH love the SL2 probably my next speaker if I can find a pair.

I know you hate people reposting images but what the hell this thread along with rest on this forum is dead tomorrow.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Woj
wilro15 posted:
Woj posted:

Not something as fancy as most of you guys have but I am really happy with the speakers which I have bulid for a kit (the artwork is not mine). They work perfectky with Uniti Star.

IPL S2TLK? I used to have some of those, very nice, but my room proved to be too small for the amount of bass they kick out.  That ribbon tweeter is very nice though. 

hi,

Yes exactly S2TLK. Very nice speakers. I have quite a large room so they are ok, besides there is a way to reduce the amout of bass. The ribbon tweeter is really good and it has got this sticker at the back which is well deserved.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by hungryhalibut

There has been a pair of maple SL2s on the well know auction site (quite why we have never been allowed to say eBay is beyond me) for a while. The veneer is not as nice as mine, which are the nicest I’ve ever seen, but hey, they are SL2s. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by HiFiman

Spotted those SL2 for sale a few days ago but I will hold out for a cherry pair, for now the Allaes are doing a sterling job and the best I have ever heard them in any setup. I know the Allaes are not everyones cup of tea but they are great speakers once setup correctly and with the right amp up them.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Bob the Builder
hungryhalibut posted:

Well I hope it is just a change and nothing more, I suspect this change of format or whatever it is might just be the last nail in the coffin for more of us. Though we haven't always seen eye to eye Nigel it has been enjoyable to cross swords every now and then and I shall miss the mild infuriation brought about by some of your more prickly posts.

Take care and good health.

BtB.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by TOBYJUG
Bob the Builder posted:
hungryhalibut posted:

Well I hope it is just a change and nothing more, I suspect this change of format or whatever it is might just be the last nail in the coffin for more of us. Though we haven't always seen eye to eye Nigel it has been enjoyable to cross swords every now and then and I shall miss the mild infuriation brought about by some of your more prickly posts.

Take care and good health.

BtB.

Some folk know more about Naim than probably Naim themselves and what HH doesn't know is not worth knowing. Shall be very missed.  All the best of luck, health and fortune.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Foot tapper

Bye everyone!  Will miss you HH.  I look forward to seeing everyone on the other side, even if under a different nom de plume...

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by ameden
hungryhalibut posted:

There has been a pair of maple SL2s on the well know auction site (quite why we have never been allowed to say eBay is beyond me) for a while. The veneer is not as nice as mine, which are the nicest I’ve ever seen, but hey, they are SL2s. 

They are mine, and a very nice pair too if I may say...

All the best to you in your non Naim forum world...

BR

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Ardbeg10y

There is hope.