What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2017

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...sted-vol-xiii?page=, 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by ALANP
Eoink posted:
ALANP posted:
Eoink posted:

The Beautiful South - Solid Bronze Great Hits, WAV CD rip

For me Paul Heaton is one of the great quirky English singer-songwriters, with the Beautiful South he allied his voice with a series of female singers who complemented him superbly. Superb witty and intelligent pop-rock, some of the best pop music of the ‘80s/‘90s.

Eoin, did you catch the Heaton documentary that was aired this month on Channel 4 ?It's titled "From Hull to Heatongrad" and well worth a watch.I've just checked and it can be downloaded from All4 which can be found on Sky Catch Up TV if you have access.

All the best and seasons greetings

Alan

Hi [@mention:73230012325576850], I hope you had a good Christmas, I watched the documentary last night. Thanks, it was a great watch, he’s a fascinating character. It was nice to see a clip of the Castlefield Bowl gig I was at earlier this year.

Hi Eoin, thank you I've had an excellent time with my family and this is my first real visit to the forum since just before Christmas .So pleased you enjoyed the documentary and as you say he is certainly a character.Did you realise the gig was being filmed when you attended?

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by nigelb

Stanley Clarke - School Days 96/24

Funkin' hec!

I've had this album for a long time but haven't played it for ages. Listening to it for the first time in hi-res with the new toy and I am amazed at the wonderful musicianship. Some tracks played at such speed but each and every musician spot on. Not sure I have really appreciated the quality of this album until today.

Jazz-funk at its finest.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by HamiltonNZ

Tirzah - Devotion

One of the most unusual and clever releases of 2018.

Cheers

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Kevin-W

On CD. Nobody's about so I can play late and loud. This is really getting some awesome bass out of the Special Fortys.

nigelb posted:

Mark Knopfler - Privateering 96/24

I like this one. My only complaint is that it is a bit long, but there is no law that says you must listen all the way through in  one sitting. The majority of tracks are great, if you can forgive one or two 'fillers'.

Nigel, you are spot on with your summary ,i felt he was treading water here but the follow up Tracker was much better ,and his latest is certainly a return to form IMHO .  

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Graham Russell

Great memories of a great concert a couple of months ago

Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio - Live at KEXP!

a great blend of Jimmy Smith and Booker T & The MGs, although the guitarist is no Steve Cropper 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Eoink
ALANP posted:
Eoink posted:
ALANP posted:
Eoink posted:

Hi [@mention:73230012325576850], I hope you had a good Christmas, I watched the documentary last night. Thanks, it was a great watch, he’s a fascinating character. It was nice to see a clip of the Castlefield Bowl gig I was at earlier this year.

Hi Eoin, thank you I've had an excellent time with my family and this is my first real visit to the forum since just before Christmas .So pleased you enjoyed the documentary and as you say he is certainly a character.Did you realise the gig was being filmed when you attended?

The “Castlefield Bowl” is derelict ground in a bowl shape with terracing just below the train lines out of Manchester Deansgate. At one point during the gig a train on the lines 30 feet above stopped for some time at a signal, and the guard was leaning out of his window dancing and clapping along. A few fans spotted him and started pointing, so after a few minutes the whole audience was facing upwards away from the stage and clapping along with this guy. Paul and Jacquie leaned over from the stage to see what was happening, and Paul then said We’re filming the gig tonight, so,it will look like 3,000 of you have never seen a f**king train before”. Which is when we realised it was being filmed. ????

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Eoink

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous - WAV CD rip

Fancied something live and loud, and this fits the bill. Superb rock band on fire, Lynott a great front man and singer. Ignore the overdubs, this is high energy rock.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by HamiltonNZ

Sons Of Kemet - Your Queen Is A Reptile 

Tidal is bloody marvellous !!!

Cheers

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Christopher_M

Ike Quebec - Blue & Sentimental

The long day closes. On vinyl.

Ella Fitzgerald - Get Happy.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by ewemon

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Kevin-W

From the lovely Atlantic albums vinyl box set, Aretha Franklin Rarities From the '60s.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Tony2011

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Haim Ronen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkn7w6aCUgQ

An old album from 2009 that I should have played more.

From 2014

Kacey Musgraves husband.