What DVD have you just watched?

Posted by: u5227470736789439 on 27 November 2005

Just about to watch the secong half of 'The Odessa File.'

All the best from Fredrik
Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Happy Listener

Being a big fan of the original I had high hopes for this, noting the positive reviews in some quarters. 

Sadly, for me, it materially undelivered. I found the atmospheric storyline to be plodding (c.2h 20mins) and to my little brain parts of the plot/action didn't join up. Having only watched it once, I'm in the land of 'what did I miss' or perhaps I didn't!

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Drikus

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by winkyincanada
Happy Listener posted:

Being a big fan of the original I had high hopes for this, noting the positive reviews in some quarters. 

Sadly, for me, it materially undelivered. I found the atmospheric storyline to be plodding (c.2h 20mins) and to my little brain parts of the plot/action didn't join up. Having only watched it once, I'm in the land of 'what did I miss' or perhaps I didn't!

I've now watched it 5 or 6 times. Some things that thought were plot holes filled in pretty nicely with repeated viewings. Give it a break, and then go back again. It's worth it. I think it is a stunning movie.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Richard Dane
Drikus posted:

This was one of the few war films that my sister would happily watch with me.  It's a good film too, but underrated I reckon. I'm so pleased that it has had a BFI blu-ray release - well deserved.  I'll order this one.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

I agree good film, but perhaps like many adaptions from novels, not as good as the book it’s based on... more suspense and sense of subterfuge from both sides in the Ken Follett novel.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Don Atkinson
Richard Dane posted:
Drikus posted:

This was one of the few war films that my sister would happily watch with me.  It's a good film too, but underrated I reckon. I'm so pleased that it has had a BFI blu-ray release - well deserved.  I'll order this one.

Some of the scenes were shot at Blackbushe when I worked there part-time many moons ago.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Timmo1341
Christopher_M posted:
Drikus posted:
Drikus posted:

Got series 1, 2 and 3 a while back but just started watching them now. This is so good I also ordered series 4, 5, 6 and 7 on DVD. Got 3 more episodes to go from Series 3 but the other DVD's should be arriving this week so the binge watching won't be interrupted I hope.

Seems like Adam has some Naim kit and Focal speakers in his flat  (episode 4 of Series 6) .

But how the lack of a rack rankles, eh!

That’s a bit mean - I think she’s got a nice figure!

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Bryce Curdy

I watched Fargo yesterday (have watched it at least once before but probably not in the last decade) and Mad Max: Fury Road today for the first time.  Different types of film obviously but really enjoyed both.  MM: FR probably not for everybody but I was impressed, helped by 4K, HDR and Atmos.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Drikus
Richard Dane posted:
Drikus posted:

The blu-ray is very noisy in dark scenes but has a generally good picture quality besides this flaw and like you said, a very exciting film.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by MDS

My favourite Christmas movie.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Drikus

A film by Idris Elba...

I seriously doubt this movie would be getting any attention if it wasn't for that name. Mediocre at best!

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Bert Schurink
MDS posted:

My favourite Christmas movie.

Reflects very well the values of Christmas 

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Wonder on DVD.

An unexpected pleasure. The perfect film for all the family to watch on Christmas night.  Or indeed any night...

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Suzy Wong

Thor: Ragnorok

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by JamieWednesday

Black Mirror Bandersnatch, interactive no less.

Genius.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Bryce Curdy

Batman Begins - 1 Disc Edition [DVD] [2005]

Tremendous entertainment, even better in 4K and HDR.  Probably the best of the series.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Bert Schurink

First downstairs in my fitness room during a workout, nice and enjoyablevia my PlayStation 3 and Onkyo AV receiver. Now watching the remaining piece with my OPPO Blu-ray Player, NAD receiver connected to my Naim system ....., amazing difference....,  wry enjoyable...

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by TOBYJUG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-X00x22U27zI/UyMsSq7cFYI/AAAAAAAAKMQ/3_x8oSp3Fdo/s1600/Royal+Flash+poster.jpg

Royal flash 1975.

fancy some silly swashbuckling, chandelier swinging, moustache twirling, bosom heaving and politically incorrect fun.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/105987fa3f41abb0f5a710fd06f6a42f/tumblr_mqygafoMSi1sb9y0so1_500.png

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by GeeJay

Have just seen this on recommendation from a friend;

Very different, disturbing and certainly messes with the head!  Some great acting by Tilda Swindon and Ezra Miller and superb direction by Scottish director, Lynne Ramsey.  Bought second hand from eBay, I think it’ll go back on there now (not one I’ll be keeping).

ATB. George.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Drikus

Series 5, recorded from tv. Well worth the long wait!

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by perttu

A Monster Calls (2016)

This movie does a splendid work telling a story about a boy and his fear. I was supprised how emotional i felt in the end. I guess this movie has something that really reached me and rose memories from the past. 

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Bert Schurink

Right now completely lost in Lost, had still the DVD’s from my Honkong Stay, never seen them...

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Bert Schurink

At the same time watching Tabboo with Amazon Prime Video...

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by perttu
Bert Schurink posted:

Right now completely lost in Lost, had still the DVD’s from my Honkong Stay, never seen them..

Enjoy the ride! I really liked the first two seasons. Lost was something else back then  

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Richard Dane

The Bachelors.  A much better film than I expected.  J K Simmons in particular is superb as a man struggling to deal with the grief of losing his wife. A keeper, and one to return to to rewatch in the future.