What DVD have you just watched?

Posted by: u5227470736789439 on 27 November 2005

Just about to watch the secong half of 'The Odessa File.'

All the best from Fredrik
Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Ardbeg10y

I flushed the last remaining do-better / worldpeace Christmas feelings away by watching 

It remains for me an epic movie where so much creativity is shown.

Love the madness. I wonder how high on the ranking this movie is for [@mention:31133010812284286]

:-)

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by TOBYJUG

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Loki
Richard Dane posted:

The Bachelors.  A much better film than I expected.  J K Simmons in particular is superb as a man struggling to deal with the grief of losing his wife. A keeper, and one to return to to rewatch in the future.

One for the list, although I hope it is not prescient for you or any other forum member...

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Loki

Tonight, Westworld, bluray, series one episode one. Wow!

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by MDS
Loki posted:

Tonight, Westworld, bluray, series one episode one. Wow!

Just bought a set of series one myself. Haven't unwrapped it yet. 

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Drikus

Currently unavailable new at the moment but found a German edition on ebay. Luckily you can choose between German (dubbed) or the original English language. Very good movie!

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by TOBYJUG

https://img07.mgo-images.com/image/thumbnail?id=MMV495A8D3D5C42B5ED2888FF3743C0852D2&ql=70&sizes=310x465

Mandy. (2018)

Has been a few home invasion from a weird cult' movies recently. This B movie schlock experience is exceptional with a great turn put in by Nicolas Cage.     Some real bad Acid was cooked up out in the sticks !!

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Richard Dane
TOBYJUG posted:

https://img07.mgo-images.com/image/thumbnail?id=MMV495A8D3D5C42B5ED2888FF3743C0852D2&ql=70&sizes=310x465

Mandy. (2018)

Has been a few home invasion from a weird cult' movies recently. This B movie schlock experience is exceptional with a great turn put in by Nicolas Cage.     Some real bad Acid was cooked up out in the sticks !!

I saw that this one received a five star review by, would you believe, the Daily Telegraph?!!

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Mr Underhill
TOBYJUG posted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-X00x22U27zI/UyMsSq7cFYI/AAAAAAAAKMQ/3_x8oSp3Fdo/s1600/Royal+Flash+poster.jpg

Royal flash 1975.

fancy some silly swashbuckling, chandelier swinging, moustache twirling, bosom heaving and politically incorrect fun.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/105987fa3f41abb0f5a710fd06f6a42f/tumblr_mqygafoMSi1sb9y0so1_500.png

The books were high on my reading list as a teenager.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Indeed, the books are superb and well worth re-reading every now and then.  Sadly the film is a bit of a travesty by comparison. 

GM Fraser also wrote what I consider to be one of the finest biographical accounts of the second world war (or indeed any war), Quartered Safe Out Here, which was a memoir of his time serving in the British Army out in Burma.  Highly recommended!

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Happy Listener
winkyincanada posted:
Happy Listener posted:

Being a big fan of the original I had high hopes for this, noting the positive reviews in some quarters. 

Sadly, for me, it materially undelivered. I found the atmospheric storyline to be plodding (c.2h 20mins) and to my little brain parts of the plot/action didn't join up. Having only watched it once, I'm in the land of 'what did I miss' or perhaps I didn't!

I've now watched it 5 or 6 times. Some things that thought were plot holes filled in pretty nicely with repeated viewings. Give it a break, and then go back again. It's worth it. I think it is a stunning movie.

Having viewed this again I came to the conclusion that I'd picked up ~90% of the storyline and ambiguities built in on the 1st viewing. There are some positives in terms of the SFX but I continue to think the storyline/screenplay could have been better (an opportunity missed) and it's far too long. 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Yetizone

The Shape of Water. Streamed via Apple TV.

A movie that’s been on my 'to watch' list ever since release but somehow I just never got around to watching it - remedied over the festive holidays. I thought it was tremendous! Guillermo del Toro’s passionate acknowledgment and love letter to the Universal Horror movies. Exquisite production design, attention to period detail, VFX - and what a terrific cast. Better than Pan’s Labyrinth? Possibly not, but I enjoyed this romantic fantasy much more. In fact, probably my favourite film of last year (just!). Highly recommended. Although I’m sure it will be / has been divisive amongst the forumites.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Haim Ronen

"Three strangers are reunited by astonishing coincidence after being born identical triplets, separated at birth, and adopted by three different families. Their jaw-dropping, feel-good story instantly becomes a global sensation complete with fame and celebrity, however, the fairy-tale reunion sets in motion a series of events that unearth an unimaginable secret -- a secret with radical repercussions for us all."

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Drikus

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by winkyincanada
Happy Listener posted:
winkyincanada posted:
Happy Listener posted:

Being a big fan of the original I had high hopes for this, noting the positive reviews in some quarters. 

Sadly, for me, it materially undelivered. I found the atmospheric storyline to be plodding (c.2h 20mins) and to my little brain parts of the plot/action didn't join up. Having only watched it once, I'm in the land of 'what did I miss' or perhaps I didn't!

I've now watched it 5 or 6 times. Some things that thought were plot holes filled in pretty nicely with repeated viewings. Give it a break, and then go back again. It's worth it. I think it is a stunning movie.

Having viewed this again I came to the conclusion that I'd picked up ~90% of the storyline and ambiguities built in on the 1st viewing. There are some positives in terms of the SFX but I continue to think the storyline/screenplay could have been better (an opportunity missed) and it's far too long. 

Is it "far too long"? We'll have to agree to disagree there. You're right that some things are unnecessary, and a couple of the scenes jar a little (at one point it kind-of veered a little too much towards the Matrix for my taste - but it wasn't a fatal flaw), but overall, I rate it a tremendous success. It had some pretty big shoes to fill.

Yetizone posted:

The Shape of Water. Streamed via Apple TV.

A movie that’s been on my 'to watch' list ever since release but somehow I just never got around to watching it - remedied over the festive holidays. I thought it was tremendous! Guillermo del Toro’s passionate acknowledgment and love letter to the Universal Horror movies. Exquisite production design, attention to period detail, VFX - and what a terrific cast. Better than Pan’s Labyrinth? Possibly not, but I enjoyed this romantic fantasy much more. In fact, probably my favourite film of last year (just!). Highly recommended. Although I’m sure it will be / has been divisive amongst the forumites.

We really enjoyed this too. I think I understand how some people might not like it.

This is a good one. If you like that sort of thing (Coen Brothers/Tarantino/McDonagh - style). Dialogue-driven quirky-dark plots with a good dose of violence. I do.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by rackkit

Watched the first episode of this last night. I know it's long after the show & hype passed through town so can judge it on its own merits. No spoilers please!