Are we sleep-walking out of Europe ?

Posted by: Don Atkinson on 09 February 2016

Media interest seems to be focused on the trivial matter of "in-work benefits" to migrant workers from Europe.

Very little informed discussion of the benefits and consequences of us remaining part of Europe v the benefits and consequences of us leaving.

Or am I just not tuning into the appropriate TV channel or overlooking some "White Paper" that is on sale in WH Smith ?

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by thebigfredc

The use of the word 'facist' in relation to those of us who voted for the UK to leave the EU is simply ridiculous.

It also demeans the efforts of those who fought real Facism during WW2.

Would you consider Corbyn a Nazi as he almost certainly voted for Brexit. Or Frank Field.

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Whilst I am sure it would be incorrect to assume or suggest that all those who voted for Brexit are fascists, and quite possibly, even likely, that not even a majority are, I do suspect that people in Britain who are fascists, or who have fascist leanings, are quite likely to have voted that way, and may well have been behind the false assertions and misleading suggestions that Brexit would stop immigration in general, including immigration by non-white people from outside the EU.

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by Frank Yang

Based on my own experiences after years at a Uni in Sussex doing post graduate research, I think most of the educated are quite liberal, tolerated. However, most of the British are very much concerned about the immigration, especially the people in rural areas, or small towns, or in low-income areas in major cities, somehow this pattern fit the profile of the people who voted in favor of Brexit?

I have encountered the phrase "We are just a small island" (in the context of immigration) many times.

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by SamClaus
thebigfredc posted:

The use of the word 'facist' in relation to those of us who voted for the UK to leave the EU is simply ridiculous.

It also demeans the efforts of those who fought real Facism during WW2.

Would you consider Corbyn a Nazi as he almost certainly voted for Brexit. Or Frank Field.

Definition of Fascist (OED):

1. 1.1 A person who is extremely right-wing or authoritarian.

‘thousands of fascists and nationalists marched in the capital’

2. 1.2 A person who is very intolerant or domineering in a particular area.

‘I'm a bit of a spelling fascist, but still have blind spots over words like ‘privilege’ or ‘separate’’

Fascist does not mean Nazi. and some Brexiteers are indeed "very intolerant or domineering in a particular area" - but a few Remainers are as well...

Thanks for clearing that up Samclaus,

The subtitles of language however always come into play when it comes to the different meaning attributed to the same word in different contexts.

I think your spelling example at definition 2 trivialises the word and is nothing like the political context IB actually used it in '...Brexit facist ideology'. So I see it as making a link between the present day Brexit supporters and the facist ideology of Hitler/Mussolini et al and as such think it is really quite unfair and unpleasant.

Ray

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by Innocent Bystander
thebigfredc posted:

The subtitles of language however always come into play when it comes to the different meaning attributed to the same word in different contexts.

I think your spelling example at definition 2 trivialises the word and is nothing like the political context IB actually used it in '...Brexit facist ideology'. So I see it as making a link between the present day Brexit supporters and the facist ideology of Hitler/Mussolini et al and as such think it is really quite unfair and unpleasant.

Ray

I did not say, suggest or imply that. My only contribution mentioning fascists followed that and was was rather different

Sorry IB,

My mistake, it was Naim Nymph.

Ray

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by SamClaus
thebigfredc posted:

Ray

Yes, I do agree the word has been trivialised - and I would personally be reluctant to use the word fascist in that context.