what was the last cd you bought?

Posted by: AL4N on 13 March 2004

after a suggestion,i have split up the old topic into this one and what was your last vinyl purchase.I hope it makes life easier.
so to get things off and running
queen--the highlander sound track
Posted on: 21 March 2004 by BigH47
Sounds like a travelogue. Wink
Posted on: 21 March 2004 by andy c
HI Haroon,
my fav GU is Sasha in San Fransisko, i have all the GU set bar the latest one.
Have you tried any of the Nubreed series by the same label - they are worth checking out as well. andy c!
Posted on: 21 March 2004 by kj burrell
quote:
Kevin,
whats the cinematic orchestra cd like?

ta for any reply...

andy c!

It's a good record: jazzy like a mix of St Germain and Massive Attack, if that make's sense. I think I prefer The Man With The Movie Camera, which shares a few tracks with Everyday. It's completely instrumental, has a few more horns on it a wider range of moods to it. Let me know what you think if you get it.

Kevin
Posted on: 21 March 2004 by Haroon
Yeah ive got the SF too, cracking but Ibiza edges it, along with quite a few others. There were some in the sale that werent available in store Frown, but I guess I'll appreciate that more when the credit card bill is due.

Ive got sander klienenbergs nubreed, prolly will get burridges too. Im not arsed for Lawler though, couple of times ive seen him I was not that impressed, he does nothing special in prog house that other DJs on the scene cant do, and often do better IMHO.
Posted on: 23 March 2004 by BigH47
One World Double CD of "world" music some really good tunes.

Howard
Posted on: 23 March 2004 by ErikL
That's quite the lineup, son. We'll expect a full report by morning.
Posted on: 23 March 2004 by ErikL
YLT are so great and my vocabulary is so limited that I can't say enough nice things about them. That album and "And then nothing turned itself inside-out" are both phenomenal and two of my favorite albums of all time. "Painful" is a notch lower in excellence IMO. I never bought "Summer Sun" as hardcore fans seemed to brush it aside but now you have me considering it...

[EDIT following lunch: I forgot that you're a completist. Early on they were a bit messy and not so dreamy. I don't recommend venturing any earlier than "Electro-pura", and if you get the soundtrack they did (I forget the title) let us know if it's good.]

[This message was edited by Ludwig on Tue 23 March 2004 at 22:28.]
Posted on: 23 March 2004 by matthewr
What Ludwig said.
Posted on: 23 March 2004 by JonR
quote:
Originally posted by alexgerrard:
Frank Black - Teenager of the year
Yo la tengo - I can hear the heart beating as one
Snow Patrol - Songs for polarbears (to replace old copy that seems to be MIA)
Husker Du - New Day Rising
Stereolab - Margarine Eclipse

Good to see there's another Husker Du fan on the forum!

JonR
Posted on: 24 March 2004 by andy c
Delivered today:
Foo Foo and the Boy - H2C - I can send Cymbiosis' copy back to them now!
Dimitri from Paris - In the house. This is upfront house/disco with all sorts on it. Recording's a bit fierce but still groovy...
Voodoo Child (Moby) Baby Monkey. Very Moby if you like that sort of thing.

andy c!
Posted on: 24 March 2004 by Not For Me
The last CD I brought was:

Air Liquide - Black

A very hard to find import from the US of A.

DS

OTD - Lewis Speaks - the Expanse
Posted on: 24 March 2004 by AL4N
"Queen jewels", a compilation from japan,although Queen,it does include Freddie going solo.
Posted on: 25 March 2004 by Not For Me
Alex,

Way to go on the ACR front - late 70's skeletal funk blossoming into fully fledged foot tappers. Those dissonant horns are still a joy to hear.

DS

OTD - Slint = Spiderland
Alex,

I have the Graveyard & the Ballroom 'Cassette in the purse' on the first time round, then on CD in the 90's and finally on vinyl in 2004!

I have stuck with ACR all through, even in their 'noodly jazz funk' plain vanilla dance music phase when they were on Rob's Records.

Bring back Simon Topping i say.

DS

OTD - Air Liquide - Liquid Air
Original released as by 'Sir Horatio'

geddit?

DS
Posted on: 25 March 2004 by ErikL
After emailing the label about my previous copy's playback issues, yesterday I received a working copy of:

Danger Mouse & Jemini- Ghetto Pop Life

They also included a promo "Hold Dat" CD single.
Posted on: 26 March 2004 by seagull
Busy hoovering up back catalogues at the moment...

Porcupine Tree - Warsawa
Porcupine Tree - Recordings
Porcupine Tree - Stars Die

Peter Hammill/Roger Eno - The Appointed Hour
Posted on: 26 March 2004 by DenisA
quote:
Originally posted by Ludwig:
YLT are so great and my vocabulary is so limited that I can't say enough nice things about them. That album and "And then nothing turned itself inside-out" are both phenomenal and two of my favorite albums of all time. "Painful" is a notch lower in excellence IMO. I never bought "Summer Sun" as hardcore fans seemed to brush it aside but now you have me considering it...

[EDIT following lunch: I forgot that you're a completist. Early on they were a bit messy and not so dreamy. I don't recommend venturing any earlier than "Electro-pura", and if you get the soundtrack they did (I forget the title) let us know if it's good.]

[This message was edited by Ludwig on Tue 23 March 2004 at 22:28.]

Ludwig,

Your glowing review made me curious to read about YLT elseware and they seem just the job for me. Do you have "And then nothing turned itself inside-out" & "I can hear the heart beating as one" on Vinyl. If so, are they high on your gushometer?

A bit disappointed to read that "We're An American Band" isn't the old Grand Funk Railroad song Smile

Denis
Posted on: 26 March 2004 by BigH47
The Blue Nile A Walk Across the Rooftops.Via HMV sale. A bit unsure so far (track 2).
On second play now its getting better.

Howard

[This message was edited by BigH47 on Fri 26 March 2004 at 17:38.]
Posted on: 26 March 2004 by seagull
Blue Nile "A Walk Across the Rooftops" is a classic album if you like your music sad and depressing.

I played 'Hats' - their 2nd album recently, I was feeling quite cheerful before I started...
Posted on: 26 March 2004 by ErikL
quote:
Originally posted by DenisA:
Do you have "And then nothing turned itself inside-out" & "I can hear the heart beating as one" on Vinyl. If so, are they high on your gushometer?

I have them on CD (no TT here) and musically they'd be high on the gushometer if played on 8-track through a megaphone. "I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One" is near perfect, if that's possible.
Posted on: 27 March 2004 by Mekon
No Surrender - White Power Black Magic finally turned up this week, along with a copy of

Preemo - 2 Days Unda Tha Sun

which features Steeples from No Surrender.
Posted on: 27 March 2004 by Haroon
quote:
Originally posted by Haroon:
I went mad on the GU sale at HMV today got:

Tony De Vit - Tokyo: just finished the first disc, it a guddun!
John Digweed - Sydney
Dave Seaman - Cape Town
Deep Dish - Moscow
Dave Seaman - Melbourne
James Lavelle - Barcelona

Now also got:
Tony de Vit - Tel Aviv
Nick Warren - Reykjavik
Deep Dish - Toronto
Danny Howells - Nubreed
Posted on: 29 March 2004 by DenisA
quote:
Originally posted by Ludwig:
quote:
Originally posted by DenisA:
Do you have "And then nothing turned itself inside-out" & "I can hear the heart beating as one" on Vinyl. If so, are they high on your gushometer?

I have them on CD (no TT here) and musically they'd be high on the gushometer if played on 8-track through a megaphone. "I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One" is near perfect, if that's possible.

Ludwig,

Now thats what I call a recommendation Cool, Thanks its YLT for me.

Denis
Posted on: 30 March 2004 by Tarquin Maynard - Portly
Ugg Ugg Sybubliub - the Driller tapes
Turd on a Stick - album one
Fuffy Bunnies - Going Carniverous
I Speak Your Weight - Get Off Lardy
F'tang F'tang ole biscuit barrel - Val Doonican's Greatest hits, ( thrash style )

Regards

Mike

Spending money I don't have on things I don't need.