This *****

Posted by: Kevin Hughes on 31 July 2000

I am not impressed with the new software (polite opinion ). This software is totaly round earth, looks nice but fails to do the basic job properly.

Can we have an uncensored part please?

What happens if you chose the "under 16" option?

Tony & Mike, who did you sleep with to ge to full member (oh err etc..) status.

Kevin.

PS still no spell checker either, just pants.

Posted on: 01 August 2000 by Paul Stephenson
Martin, if we had not used the infopop forum, we would not have any forum at all for some time, all estimates and promises to keep the old forum and re-site just did not materialise. We will look at the situation and see what we can do. It does seem though that despite the downer people have been able to communicate, even Vuk came out of the closet, can't think why! he seems so bitter, must be all the moth balls he has been eating.

[This message was edited by Paul Stephenson on WEDNESDAY 02 August 2000 at 04:15.]

Posted on: 01 August 2000 by BrianD
I've posted a few items now and I'm getting used to it. The layout of the messages makes them easier to read, but that's about all.

How long does it take for a post to actually appear on the thread? I've checked just after posting (to make sure they went on ok) and there is nothing there for ages.

The main problem is the lack of being able to reply to a particular comment, your reply simply being stuck on the end. This is a major loss compared to the old forum.

At the end of the day, I like the forum. I get a lot of useful info from it and want to continue to do so. I hope that the main contributors carry on and don't give up. IT IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.

Bri

Posted on: 01 August 2000 by Willem van Gemert
According to the UBB propaganda there is a feature called Email notification of replies. Is there a reason why it has not been used in the new Naim forum?

Ciao!

Willem

Posted on: 02 August 2000 by Geoff C
'How long does it take for a post to actually appear on the thread? I've checked just after make sure they went on ok) and there is nothing there for ages.'

My messages seem to appear pretty much instantly after posting! Perhaps it's because I am on a leased line and my PC and MAC are always connected to the web 24/7?

Geoff

Posted on: 02 August 2000 by Claus
Hi,

I also think that the tree structure is essential for this forum to work.

This new system has got some advantages (=new features) over the old, but basic functionality is definately much worse. Makes it difficult, if not impossible, to follow any longer debate / thread.

I hope Naim will respond to so many contributors opinion and change the software. If not, I'm afraid the benefits of the Naim forum for the users as well as for Naim and their business will diminish significantly.

Regards,
Claus

PS: The preview option is missed as well...

Posted on: 02 August 2000 by Mick P
Willem / Geoff

You may be making the same mistake that I made yesterday. Your message may appear on the next page and you will not see it unless you click onto page 2 or page 3 etc. Its so bloody simple but I never noticed the thingy to click on at the end of the page.

PS Message to Naim, I still think this system is better than the old one. If we wish to respond to a specific letter, you need only address the letter for the attention of whoever wrote it. Therefore in my humble opinion the pros outweight the cons.

I would still ask you to remove these silly little faces, if nothing else, it will free up a lot of Vuks time.

Regards

Mick (basically contented with this system)

Posted on: 02 August 2000 by Rico
undefined

this is what I get when I hit the instant smilie button. What's going on?

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefined

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 02 August 2000 by kevinl

Is it only me that finds this forum software far slower than the previous site? I'm on a corporate intranet (of a multinational telecoms equipment vendor) with a LARGE pipe to the outside world, but I'm waiting for 20 seconds for a page of chat to be displayed. Something is seriously wrong...

I'm missing the threaded discussions as well...

kevin

Posted on: 02 August 2000 by Nic Peeling
quote:
Does anyone know how you can thread replies on this forum, or do you just reply to the whole thread.
Looks to me like this software doesn't support a good (or bad) argument.

Cliff<BR>

The best you can do is quote the posting you are replying to. If a substantial sub thread develops it is probably best to start an entirely new thread.

The main advantage of the single threaded, chat room metaphor this software uses is that you can see all the latest postings to a thread because they are all at the end of the discussion (personally I prefer threaded discussions, but we will adapt to the new style).

Nic P

Posted on: 02 August 2000 by Geoff C
'You may be making the same mistake that I made yesterday. Your message may appear on the next page and you will not see it unless you click onto page 2 or page 3 etc. Its so bloody simple but I never noticed the thingy to click on at the end of the page.'

Mick, I did realise that the latest message was at the end of the last page! I just thought that I would point out the speed of the postings from my system to Bri.

cheers
Geoff

Posted on: 02 August 2000 by Mike Hanson
Rico said:

quote:
undefined
this is what I get when I hit the instant smilie button. What's going on?

Sounds like it might be a browser problem, or possible a Java thing. What browser are you using? Do you have your Java Virtual Machine turned off? BTW, you can manually insert the emoticons. For example: a colon followed by a closing parenthesis is simple smile; a semi-colon followed by a closing parenthesis is a winker; enclose "eek" with colons to get the purple suprised face; etc. I'll e-mail the full list to you.

Kevin said:

quote:
Is it only me that finds this forum software far slower than the previous site?

It must be something to do with your route to the infopop site. In my case using a 1-Mbps ADSL line, the pages are appearing within a second or two. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

Posted on: 02 August 2000 by Kevin Hughes
Nic said
quote:
If a substantial sub thread develops it is probably best to start an entirely new thread.

But this way you will end up with half the messages in one thread and the rest in another, unless you know a way of traveling back in time to before the thread diverged

Kevin.

Posted on: 02 August 2000 by BrianD
Geoff

Thanks for your comment.

To clarify a little. I have no problems browsing. It's actually a lot faster than the old forum, the pages appearing almost instantly. I am simply curious as to why any posts I add to a thread don't seem to appear for a considerable time.
For example, something I posted yesterday hadn't appeared for so long (20 minutes) I logged off and checked it this morning.

Of course, this isn't a big issue. Just wondering.

Brian

Posted on: 02 August 2000 by Phil Barry
And again we have Bob Edwards who's an outlier! I hope Bob sees some humor in this.

Just for the record, Bob, I've found your contributions informative and useful, and if I've offended you, I apoliogize; it was certainly not my intention.

This new forum is not. I agree with all the negative statements above.

Except that I stay off the Royd, Exposure, Dynavector sites because they're so hard to follow.

Who's hosting this, anyway?

Posted on: 02 August 2000 by Martin Payne
quote:
Martin, if we had not used the infopop forum, we would not have any forum at all for some time, all estimates and promises to keep the old forum and re-site just did not materialise. We will look at the situation and see what we can do.

Paul,

I'm obviously pleased to see the forum continue, in whatever form. I quite appreciate the new look (although as a mainframe programmer I'm supposed to value only function and consider aesthetics irrelevant!)

I do think, though, that the usage of this forum will be different from the previous one. There will be benefits all round if a solution can be found.

cheers, Martin

Posted on: 04 August 2000 by Nic Peeling
Can I propose we wind this thread down? I suggest that Paul Stephenson puts out an official statement as to what (if anything) Naim propose to do to satisfy those who are unhappy with the Forum software, and possibly summarise the reasons for making their initial decisions about the new forum.

I suspect most forum members are most concerned about maintaining the quality of the content of the forum. The thing that worries me most is that the content so far does not yet match the old forum's.

Nic P

Posted on: 04 August 2000 by Ron Toolsie
It seems ironic to me that the the ability to use emoticons on this forum is sort of like having a tone control. And the ability to easily boldface text is sort of like having a loudness button. Does this mean that the 52.5 will incorporate these very latest developments

Ron

Posted on: 04 August 2000 by Paul Davies
Perhaps it's time for the rec.audio.naim usenet newsgroup.
Posted on: 04 August 2000 by Laxton
....less than a week with this new forum format and i'm really irritated just trying to read the posts!

laxton

Posted on: 05 August 2000 by Andrew Randle
This forum is in serious need of *threads*

...or maybe I've missed the feature.

Andrew

Andrew Randle
2B || !2B;
4 ^ = ?;

Posted on: 06 August 2000 by Peter Goldsmith
The lack of a tree structure for this forum truly bites the big one!! Why is this supposed to be considered an advancement? Less information, more censorship, cute smiley icons.....hmmmmmm.

Peter Goldsmith
pmgoldsmith@earthlink.net

Posted on: 07 August 2000 by bob atherton
Hi to friends from the previous forum,

I have waited a little while before posting on this one. Firstly because the surroundings were _so_ unfamiliar & a bit of
acclimatization time was necessary. I feel a bit like first day at a new school! Secondly because my ISP has just changed &
that took a bit of setting up as well.

What do I personally think of this forum? With my diplomatic hat on, I think I agree with a lot of criticisms put forward by
most of the other forums contributors. I think/hope in time the tree thread thingy can be resurrected, & so make navigation
easier & more fun.

I would like to think after many years of using, & at one point selling Naim equipment I have a fairly good idea how the team at
Salisbury function. I am confident that they are also not too thrilled with this off the shelf package and will do what they can to
tweak it. I think to carry on moaning about things is not constructive, & apart from anything else Paul must look like a
patchwork quilt with all those patches!

Plus points for the new forum? Well, Vuk is back........... thats about it really.

Bo

Posted on: 07 August 2000 by Ian P
The most significant loss is definitely the lack of threads in the threads. Who am I replying to ? Even I don't know.

Ian

P.S. My 7 year old son is progressing from infant to junior school next term. I seem to have regressed to a similar state.

Posted on: 07 August 2000 by Andy S
Mark T/Paul S,

I think a clear statement of what/if anything is going to be done would help us all. There is some severe dissatisfaction with the service that we have moved to (and we all understand why this has happened...). Knowing where you are going would quieten us all down so...

1) Do Naim intend keeping the forum software as it is now?

2) If changing, what sort of timescale can we expect things to change over?

3) If changing, what user features will be on the requirements list for any new implementation? [hint: threading and expanding new messages appear to be the biggest gripes...]

I think we all appreciate that since everyone is out at Naim, it is more difficult to proceed but some form of official Naim statement, either way, would help right now.

And

Posted on: 07 August 2000 by Dev B
I'm not a netxpert like many of you but I quite like extra things you can do here, but I do miss the threaded discussion.

Lets give it time - it's better than nothing and I'm sure Naim will listen to the comments made here and haven't they been on hols or something?

Dev.