SBL/Mana: Final report

Posted by: graphoman on 17 October 2004

Having accepted the recommendation of yours (naming Emil and Adam on the first place with the biggest influence on me) I acquired a pair of Mana Sound Base to put under my SBLs. I’ve used them 11 day long then I re-packed them and now I’m a happy man again.

No doubt SBLs are in the need of some improvement and a lot of SBL owners present in this very Forum are touched by the temptation of buying the Bases. If they can’t manage it they try to find some cheep substitution (screws, balls, MDF and glass plates etc.) instead. So my aim with this report is not to make quarrel only to see (or show) the reality more tinged than our manaist friend do.

Let’s NOT decide whether Mana is good or bad. I’m ready to accept the whole business is environment or taste dependant. What we should do is analyzing the effect itself.

I’m perfectly convinced Sound Base under SBL is nothing else but an effective high/low pass filter and a dynamic filter at the same time. I may refer to my past where at many a time I had the possibility to be present at progresses of instrumental measurements and evaluating the result. It’s well-known in acoustics that you can’t simply damp out any resonance without some consequences. These consequences mainly are:

1. The resonant peak will be lower in magnitude but will expand into a broader frequency section.
2. The frequency range of the peak may be somewhat shifted.
3. The resonance will expand in time. In other words: the energy won’t be lost only changed.

And that’s exactly what I got from Mana. An und für sich (sorry for the German) it won‘t be a bad thing. Contrary to the view of some SBL fans this remarkable speaker’s merits are coupled to serious faults. The “clinical”, “analytical” attributes clearly point out these drawbacks, originating of a certain discontinuity in the speaker’s response in the presence region. Very, very modest speakers (e.g. the tiniest Heybrooks in my practice) produce much better in this region if they are put onto the extraordinarily good stand section of the SBL. In other respects they, of course, can’t produce what SBLs are capable of.

The “Mana effect” does fill those gaps in a way by grasping the speakers loose highest and deepest peaks with an iron hand and pushing them into the upper presence, and the upper bass section, respectively. It results in an extremely warm and soft sound picture coupled with an increased and distorted upper presence. Now you’ll be able to hear more players in the orchestra, the trouble is they all play with the same colour. Timbre differences are forgotten, e.g. gone the wonderful flute (recorder) solos of the SBLs... In addition to it the whole scene becomes close-miked, the music is played in the listening room or inside of head of the listener and it’s the worst possible thing (for me, at least). If you happen to be familiar of the PWB effect then you know what I’m talking about. Yes, with such distortion-producing means I’m ABLE to produce similar effects. Hic et nunc.

The choices are, at present:
1. SBL’s on the floor (+Chips) the honest poor man in his normal environment. I may visit him and have talks with him on life’s problems, e.g. what our next buy should be: a better amp or rather twice the cheaper amp and going active.
2. SBLs on Mana: the newly rich in an expensive house built on the basis of a rather dubious taste. I don’t likely visit him and have no common topics with him.

So I have a pair of hardly used Sound Base to be rid of them. Adam, Richard: in your views, does it all really seem a classified ad?!...

graphoman
Posted on: 20 October 2004 by Rasher
My experience when first trying SB's under SBL's is that the result was worse. When I tried and tried to get it to sound good, I asked Pearcy to come round and do his magic on them, and they have been in place ever since. It went from disaster to wonderful.
I have had a conversation with my Naim dealer before now when comparing equipment, and it became apparent that we listen to different things and value some things higher than others.
When the SB's kicked in, the improvement over the standalone SBL's (yes, we did compare several times) was a widening of the soundstage and a heightening too by a noticable degree. The previously dull and boomy bass became a focused bass that went an octave lower and played tunes. The tizzy highs that I had with the SB's set up incorrectly vanished into light airey treble that was at about ceiling height rather than firing directly at me.
Set up badly (overtightening those nuts beyond finger tight) they sound horrible.
But ulitmately, we hear and appreciate different things.
Maybe at heart I should have been a round-earther Eek
Posted on: 20 October 2004 by John
Martin,

I experienced the same issue when I went from internal boards to a prefix and when I went from a 52 powered prefix to a supercapped prefix. Less surface noise. I suspect the SBs are making my NBLs more effecient resulting in a more balanced presentation (seamless). With the NBLs on the floor some delicate instruments get burried in the mix, with SBs they delicately hang in the sonic picture.

I'm running the NBLs with 135s passive which is the minimum I understand. I suspect any slight improvements in my NBL setup help my 135s significantly. I am sure a 500 would help as well but $$$$$$$$$$$

Just guessing.

John
Posted on: 22 October 2004 by graphoman
“Graphoman, did you really find the SBs *limited* the frequency range?”

Absolutely. The sound becomes very soft but the highs will be pushed into the presence range and that’s what will be felt “ear burning”. The bass will be pushed into the upper bass region. The space becomes artificial and uniformly so. Absence of real treble can easily be realized by the all-equal instruments without personality.

Once again: the effect is increasingly disturbing for everybody familiar to the PWB effect.

graphoman