who likes what music?

Posted by: Bas V on 29 November 2000

Hi!
For the first time since a while I have started listening to music... Sounds rather stupid, but I was so busy with selling and buying equipment, that I didn't take the time for that anymore.

But now I just inserted Tool's Aenima disc and it's so good. Now I was wondering what kind of music you all listen to. Perhaps there have been hundreds of posts about this subject, please tell me.

Favorite bands of mine: Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, Incubus, DJ Shadow, Faith No More, RHCP, Faithless, ....

Yours???

Regards, Bas

Posted on: 06 December 2000 by Steve Catterall
but that's precisely my point - they are as bad as each other. 'Better' is a personal thing. Frank Zappa is no better than Steps. Some people prefer one, some prefer the other. Its the people who insist on telling you that one is better (generally on grounds of intelligence or something ammounting to the same thing) that I was poking fun at.
Posted on: 07 December 2000 by Pete
So saying something is better because of the quality of hummour is okay (Smiths v. Zappa), but saying something is better because of the innate intelligence is wrong (Zappa v. Steps)?

Pete.

Posted on: 07 December 2000 by Steve Catterall
No just assuming something that I haven't said.

I have said that I think the Smiths are more humerous to me than Zappa, and that I like them much better.

I have not said that either is 'better' or that Zappa is more intelligent than Steps.

You are the one infering innate quality based on your preferences

I've said specifically that neither is 'better' than the other. And I'm saying that by saying that Zappa is more 'intelligent' than Steps, you are implying that he is 'better', which is just snobbery.

Posted on: 07 December 2000 by Pete
"He may think that they're funny (you may too), but you are mistaken. For proper humour in music see the works of Morrissey & Marr."

Is it really such an unjustified inference to think your use of "proper humour", and saying that I'm mistaken thinking FZ's lyrics funny, doesn't constitute saying the same thing as the Smiths are better at humour than FZ, period, as opposed to merely your preference? There's nothing in that paragraph that suggests anything other than an absolute stance.

And I have specifically pointed out in this thread that though I consider some music has more intelligence than others, that in no way infers it's better. For example:

"This doesn't necessarily make it either pretentious or good/bad, it's just an approach which may pay off or may not"

"reliant on considerably more intelligence in its
creation and form than, for example, a 12 bar blues jam (and no, I'm not saying that necessarily makes it better)."

And since I'll just as happily listen to the Ramones as Wagner, I even practice as well as preach the thought.

So my saying there's more intelligence in FZ's music than in Steps' isn't actually that much more controversial than saying Wagner's music is more complex than Satie's. It is, the complexity or lack of may influence people's opinions/preferences, just as differing levels of intelligence might, it's not necessarily a mark of quality (look at all the people who can't get anything bar a headache out of serial music, for example). Your saying that I'm inferring FZ must be better is just a case of not reading what I wrote: quote me back where I've said otherwise.

Pete.

[This message was edited by Pete on THURSDAY 07 December 2000 at 15:16.]

Posted on: 06 January 2001 by Alco
Well, here it is.

My musical taste is very broad:

From (alternative) country to blues, from singer/songwriter to pop and just about everything in between.

I must say, I really hate R&B,Funk,Soul,Disco,
House,dance and the commercial top-40 junk.

In a few words. I Love american-Roots music.

See: www.alcopaladin.friendpages.com

Greetings,undefined

Posted on: 07 January 2001 by Top Cat
...I've found that IME FZ fans tend to be among the most intelligent and musically appreciative fans I've ever come across. A lot of people are put off by the lyrics, but an equal number are turned onto the music by its originality, interpretation, 'statistial density' and implicit intelligence.

I've yet to hear another artist come consistently close to the levels of innovation and density of creative composition as Frank Zappa offered on most any of his records.

John (who has around 50 Zappa titles, maybe more)

Posted on: 08 January 2001 by Steve Catterall
No mistake - as we all know about your musical (lack of) taste.

For interesting intelligent music - you don't get much better that the Slits. Certainly knocks old man FZ into a cocked hat.

Posted on: 08 January 2001 by Steve Catterall
As we all know - all great bands come from Manchester ... except the ones that don't that prove the rule.

quote:
To my ears it's a monotonous, tuneless noise

sounds like heavy metal to me. Dance music is groovy and swinging ... and is better for your soul than Frank's silly beard.

Obviously our tastes are different - otherwise I wouldn't listen to any music

Posted on: 09 January 2001 by Naheed
Hard House, and Progressive Trance that's the ticket, the musical-complexity of this genre is made for a good Naim system to unravel.
Surprised Naim don't go for this market (no not pill-popping teenagers), but genuine 'night-club' people who find they only listen to this type of music in clubs, as only a Naim system (in my experience) can truly reproduce with the same emotion, and PRaT.

It's like bringing the experience home, without having to go to Home (London nightclub for you country pub folk).

Not telling Naim how to do their market positioning/advertising, but I have long thought this is an untapped area. Many friends with the same taste in music 'love' my system in context of this genre.

naheed...

Posted on: 09 January 2001 by Peter Litwack
Since you're talking about Zappa, I can't help mentioning "Joe's Garage", my favorite FZ album. It never fails to put a smile on my face.