New J*** artists/recordings recommendations

Posted by: philip rubin on 10 December 2000

I currently listen to a lot of Jazz but mostly limited to artists and recordings of the 50's, 60's and 70's (mostly fusion). I listen to many of the Blue Note, Verve and Impulse recordings including the likes of Miles, Coltrane, Herbie Hancock(awesome Blue Note recordings include, Maiden Voyage and Empyrean Isles-one of the best jazz recordings out there for the period IMHO)and Lee Morgan. I have listened to Pat Methany and Wynton as well.

I would appreciate if somebody could recommend some newer artists and recordings. I am not particularly current on some of the newer artists out there. I listened to some Joshua Redman recordings and found them enjoyable.

I appreciate your reply. Thanks.

Posted on: 24 January 2001 by Peter Litwack
I hate to be a thread killer. Let's hear from someone who's got some new jazz recordings to recommend!
Posted on: 24 January 2001 by Peter Litwack
shahreza-thanks for the recommendation. I was interested to find out that Steve Kuhn was the original pianist with John Coltrane's quartet, before being replaced by McCoy Tyner. He also played behind the great Serge Chaloff when he was only 14 y.o.! Is "Countdown" a solo effort, or does he have sidemen? I see that his CD "Seasons Of Romance" has Tom Harrell on tpt. Now there's a great player! Have you heard "Seasons Of Romance"? Is it any good? I'll check out "Countdown" this week and report back.
Posted on: 27 January 2001 by Peter Litwack
shahreza-picked up Steve Kuhn's "Countdown" the other day. It really cooks. Right from the beginning you can tell this guy really has "fingers". His improvising is really imaginative, with plenty of "playing across the bar line" - something most younger guys can't seem to get the hang of. Thanks for the recommendation.
Posted on: 31 January 2001 by bdnyc
As someone who has greater appreciation, at this time anyway, for the lyrical and melodic in jazz, here are some of my recent favorites other like minded listeners might enjoy.
1- Tommy Flanagan- "Jazz Poet", "Sea Changes"
"Sunset & The Mockingbird" He is justifiably
praised as one of the greatest living jazz
masters. Wonderful live with his trio.
2- Hank Jones & Charlie Haden-"Steal Away"-very
indrawn and introspective music of great power.
3- Abdullah Ibrahim-"Water From An Ancient Well"-
African inspired, folk based jazz ensemble.
4- Ahmad Jamal- "The Essence:Part 1"- Superb group
interplay with a great sense of dynamics
which really come alive on a Naim system.
5- Steve Kuhn- "Seasons Of Romance"- He's not
quite old enough to pass for an old lion, and
he may not be getting the attention of the
young un's, but he is a very sensitive player.
6- Herbie Hancock- "Gershwin's World"- Superb all-
star cast concept recording includes Joni
Mitchell, Wayne Shorter, the Orpheus Ensemble..
7- John McLauglin Trio- "Que Alegria"- One of a
series of 90's recordings that capture his
mature playing on acoustic. Very serene even
when played at his hallmark breakneck tempos.
8- Sharon Isbin- "Dreams of a World"- Not
actually jazz, but it certainly fits in my
version of Ellington's musical divide-
Good Music. Very skilled and soulful playing.
9- Gary Burton & Friends- "Departure"
10-Charles LLoyd- "The Water Is Wide"- highly
praised in Stereophile, deservedly so for me.
-Happy hunting and good listening.
Posted on: 14 February 2001 by John C
I recently bought that Nils Peter Molvaer that Pete recommended way back, Solid Ether. It reminds me of a more modern, Norwegian version of Sketches of Spain. Great pulsating rhythmic backdrop of various electronica with Molvaer's ethereal trumpet sound wafting over the top. Some excellent vocals on a couple of tracks by Sidsel Andersen (sp?). I may get more of this Nu Norwegian stuff Bugge Westefeld etc . Im not sure its really Jazz but good sounds.

John¿

Posted on: 16 February 2001 by Peter Litwack
Speaking of Abdullah Ibrahim, I highly recommend his soundtrack album from the movie "No Fear, No Die". I've never been able to find the movie on video, but the album is extremely fine and very listenable. He's joined by Ricky Ford on tenor, Horace Alexander Young III on alto, soprano, and flute, Jimmy Cozier on bari, Frank Lacy on 'bone, with Buster Williams and Ben Riley on bass and drums. Very cool set! Everyone I've played it for loves it, jazzbo or not.