koetsu for aro

Posted by: TerryFranks on 12 September 2009

ha to the naimes can you mount this cartridge on a aro just for munch sensible replies please tel.
Posted on: 13 September 2009 by Emil F
Terry,

Overhang is not a big issue with Aro, in my experience the tone arm doesn't like heavy carts.
Posted on: 13 September 2009 by Geoff P
quote:
Originally posted by Emil F.:
Terry,

Overhang is not a big issue with Aro, in my experience the tone arm doesn't like heavy carts.
Emil..why is it then that a lot of people are running annd getting great results with an XV-1s in their ARO?

The XV-1s is 12.6 grams which is actually slightly heavier than even the heaviest stone body Koetsus'

Geoff
Posted on: 13 September 2009 by Cymbiosis
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff P:

a lot of people are running annd getting great results with an XV-1s in their ARO?

Geoff

Very much so Smile.
Posted on: 13 September 2009 by Emil F
Geoff,

We still don't have big experience with top carts. It was not long time ago, when we started to try and discuss expensive carts on the forum. In the near past our top carts were rebuilt Troika, Helikon, Akiva.

Emil
Posted on: 13 September 2009 by al f
what you all need is one of these:-
Posted on: 13 September 2009 by Lyubo
quote:
Originally posted by al f:
what you all need is one of these:-

Will be perfect match with the blue aro ! Big Grin
Posted on: 13 September 2009 by paulr0414
quote:
Paul...I put a thread up sometime ago which got quite a good response from the Koetsu users. It is HERE

Geoff

Thank you fr pointing me in the direction of your earlier thread as I had missed this. And also for the comments on use of the ARO.

It's interesting how few arms are in use here but perhaps that's the nature of the site. The next arm is likely to be my last, after all the Ittok has lasted close to 25 years, so I'll be taking my time. Fortunately I have a very good dealer close by who I am sure will assist with an ARO trial but I am curious what Ikeda/ Audio Origami/ Breuer might do.

btw, I note in your thread Kuma's comment that Koetsu is not available in Japan (his post of 20/10/08) which is not actually correct. They are rather difficult to find however and you won't have any luck in Akihabara.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the music.

Best regards, Paul
Posted on: 13 September 2009 by kuma
Paul,

I realise that there are some gray market Koetsus available in Japan as I know someone who sourced one at 50% off US retail price. But this was a few years back and not sure if one can do it now.
quote:
Originally posted by kuma:
Paul,

I realise that there are some gray market Koetsus available in Japan as I know someone who sourced one at 50% off US retail price. But this was a few years back and not sure if one can do it now.
Kuma.... (and all readers) I gather there are rip off copies of Koetsu's out there. I saw an e-mail from Koetsu suggesting people should be carefull especially with 'too good to be true' prices on the likes of e-pray and asian adverts. Genuine Koetsu's will have a serial number on them.

regards
Geoff
Posted on: 13 September 2009 by aht
Geoff,

There may very well be counterfeit cartridges out there, but the recent publicity campaign from the Koetsu USA importer--identical letters to several magazines, etc.--looks like self-serving scare tactics, IMHO, justifying their high prices.
quote:
looks like self-serving scare tactics, IMHO, justifying their high prices.
...I can't argue with that comments except to say that the results you get... at least in the less exotic Rosweood's and Urushi's justify the official prices IMHO, which are no higher than those of equivalent performance cartridges from the likes of Dynavector, Myabi and Air Tight for example.

regards
geoff
I agree that the mid-range prices are fair. But when you get to the stone bodies, it's crazy. 8K USD for a Jade Platinum, but 15K for Coralstone, 20K for Blue Lace? By Koetsu's own admission, the innards on all of these are essentially identical. The body materials are not precious stones or metals, they can't vary in cost by more than a few hundred dollars.
Posted on: 13 September 2009 by paulr0414
Kuma

You are absolutely right to say that there are many fakes around - but the genuine article is available from authorised dealers in Japan. It's just difficult to find the dealers. Particularly if you don't speak Japanese.

Best regards, Paul
Uh, I think Kuma can speak Japanese just fine, but the scene in Japan has changed a lot in the last few years. Unlike, say, Dynavector, there is no company web page for Koetsu in its home country. A few years ago several Japanese websites were in evidence, now none that I can find.

It's a little weird when a company has gone entirely to an export model, presumably because they can charge far more in foreign lands, what the market will bear. The only public presence is the international distributors. Kind of reminiscent of export market ceramics from China/Japan in the 18th and 19th centuries--inferior and/or overpriced product.
Posted on: 14 September 2009 by paulr0414
LOL
Posted on: 16 September 2009 by paulr0414
very interesting jump from facts to speculation about pricing of 18th century ceramics,

Sooo funny . . .