AV1 processor

Posted by: Richard Adams on 24 August 2005

I am new to home cinema so please be gentle with me if my questions are a bit stupid.

I have just got my hifi sorted out and would now like to make a start on an AV system. I don't watch too many DVDs so don't want to spend too much money. I currently have all Naim hifi and an Arcam 79 DVD player. I currently use SBL speakers and have a spare set of IBLs that I was thinking of using as rear speakers.

My dealer has 2nd hand AV1 for sale at £250. I can also pick up NAPV 175 for £800. I know I will need centre speaker but currently can't afford Naim speaker so will pick up cheap "make-do" model until funds permit. Eventually I will get AV2 (presumably AV3 by the time I can afford it) and possibly DVD5.

Is this a stupid way of doing things? Is AV1 obsolete? Are there modes/functions on AV1 that I am likely to need when watching DVDs? Would i be just better off getting arcam av amp?

Rest of system is CDS3/252/300/SBLs

Richard
Posted on: 27 September 2005 by graham55
Vik

Hans has explained better than I could have managed. But do try to listen to one in a two channel music system - it does more than you would imagine. If you're into home theatre, though, wait for the n-Vi!

Graham

Hans: Do you have one?
Posted on: 27 September 2005 by HansW
quote:
Me

Yes Graham, I've got one as I mentioned above. I like it a lot. Music sounds more organic and realistic and more dynamic (possibly less hi-fi).

Obvously it fills the room better than two-channel. This may be the reason that I tend to listen at, what I percieve to be, lower volume when it is connected. (Generally I feel that I have to turn the sound up to a certain level before it sounds 'right'. The perceived volume when this happens, not only the volume setting, is lower with the AV1 connected).

br

Hans
Posted on: 27 September 2005 by graham55
Hans

Sorry. I forgot to check the earlier postings again. But I think that we're in a very small minority. (And my LEDs still don't light!)

Graham
Posted on: 29 September 2005 by Tom Schofield
I recently purchased an AV1 without a manual, and Naim does not have it on the website. Can anyone point me to were I maight download or purchase one?

Or, perhaps, could someone give me an operational rundown? Some queries:
Are the Left and Right knobs for both front and rear or for rear only? Is a preamp required, or can a source (or selector box) be fed into it directly? Does it output power to a preamp, such as a NAC 72 or 82? Are equal power front and rear amps needed, or are the rears of lower level. IIRC, early ambience processors typicaly had the rears 6db lower than the front speakers.

I am presently a Nait 3 owner, and I was thinking that if I can still get the parts to split the Nait 3 into 92/90 and pick up a NAP 90, that might be a good economy way to go.

Tom Schofield
125 St. Patricks Dr.
Danville, CA 94526
USA
fax (925) 871-4015
Posted on: 30 September 2005 by graham55
Tom

I can send you a copy of my photocopy, unless some nice person in Salisbury can send us both hard copies. Having said that, it's not terribly informative in any event.

To answer your questions.

The volume knobs on the AV1 control rear volume only.

It needs to run off a spare output socket of the power supply for the preamp (the HiCap or SuperCap powering the 72 or 82, to take your example), so I don't suppose it would work in a non-Naim system. It then processes signal to the rear speakers without any further amplification necessary. The power supply is built in.

Even at full volume (which you wouldn't use), the sound it produces is much quieter than the front channel sound. It's rather subtle in operation, in that you only tend to spot what it's doing when you mute its output.

Hope this helps.

Graham
Posted on: 30 September 2005 by Don Atkinson
quote:
It then processes signal to the rear speakers without any further amplification necessary. The power supply is built in.

Now, I haven't actually conneted my AV1 up for a few months so I could be wrong....but....I don't recall any speaker outputs on the back of mine, and I'm sure I used to connect it up to my JR149s via my spare 250....

Are there different versions of AV1...or am I going round the twist?

Cheers

Don
Posted on: 30 September 2005 by graham55
Don

Sorry, I was forgetting about the NAP250 sitting between the AV1 and the rear speakers, so I'm the one going round the twist!!

Graham
Posted on: 01 October 2005 by Don Atkinson
quote:
Don

Sorry...... I'm the one going round the twist!!

Phew!!!!!

Cheers

Don
Posted on: 10 October 2005 by Tom Schofield
Thank you all for the info.

This raises a further question -- Does the AV1 do anything to the front channels, or is the front channel output DIN just a pass-through to the front-channel amp?

Graham-I would like to get a copy of your copy. My address is:

Tom Schofield
125 St. Patricks Dr.
Danville, California 94526
USA

Or, my e-mail is tdschofield@yahoo.com or fax at (925)871-4015 if either is easier for you.

Thanks again,

Tom

PS I know, "What's an English surname doing on St. Patricks Drive?" It has to do with California property values....
Posted on: 11 October 2005 by David Dever
quote:
or is the front channel output DIN just a pass-through to the front-channel amp?

There are two stereo rear-channel output DINs, but no front-channel output (assumed to be at your HICAP / SUPERCAP etc.).

In other words, no, the AV1 stays completely out of the front-channel (stereo) signal path.
Posted on: 11 October 2005 by Tom Schofield
Good point David,It's making more sense now.

I am looking at the back panel. There is the 4 pin plug marked Audio In. There are two 4 pin plugs, jointly marked Audio Out, with no mention of front or rear, each having pins for Ch 1 and Ch 2.

Are the two outputs redundant, in the event you are using mono amps or desire two pairs of ambience speakers?

Tom