more photography questions...

Posted by: Dan M on 03 November 2003

Hello all,

I've been having a lot of fun with my s/h pentax ME Super 35mm camera that came with a 50/F1.7. Winging its way from epay is a M28/F2.7 that I thought would be a nice lens for outdoor scenes (its also quite compact). At this point I have a few rather obvious questions that perhaps the local experts to answers -- thanks for your patience.

How does the split screen focussing mechanism work exactly? This is the method by which I focus usually (unless I'm trying to be unobtrusive, in which case I just read off a distance on the focussing ring and hope for the best). I just look for a somewhat vertical line and adjust to get it continuous. I'm curious because I wonder if I need to wear my glasses when focussing (I have a very minor correction used only for darkened rooms and less fatigue during night driving).

Why are longer lenses (130mm etc) good for portraits?

Why do people use lens hoods?

What should be my first telephoto lens?

thanks for your help,

Dan
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by matthewr
"If I'd known all you lot would do is complain, I wouldn't have bothered at all"

I think we have every right to complain -- you show us your holiday snap, we think "Hmm, holiday snap, and, well, frankly I am a little underwhelmed" and then you reveal you have a secret brilliant "digitally enhanced" version for printing from your portfolio.

I wouldn't for one moment try to discourage you from posting your pictures -- indeed quite the opposite -- but if you are going to post surely we deserve the best version ?

Matthew
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by count.d
Quite right Matthew.
Posted on: 06 November 2003 by Joe Petrik
John,

quote:
And there was me thinking that I was the one with too much spare time.

As you can tell from my exquisite cut 'n' paste job and my laborious application of the clone tool to make the booby seamlessly meld in with its surroundings, I must have spent -- oh, I dunno -- maybe 30 secs "enhancing" your pic. Wink

Joe