Shell 'Optimax'

Posted by: J.N. on 13 October 2002

Is it worth it?

Anyone tried it?
Posted on: 16 October 2002 by Tim Oldridge
"What you can all do for that 'optimax' experience is get a fuel additive (like that STP stuff in the good old days) and shove some in the tank just before you start to fill and just before you have finished filling (i.e twice during the refuelling procedure). Also change your Engine Oil for some Castrol GTX (synthetic) and get some Amsoil (sp?) for your gearbox and a free-flowing exhaust. It may give you the automotive equivalent of the Mana effect"

Hate to agree with Dev on anything, but a fuel additive will raise the RON of your fuel - Millers "something" is the current go-faster fave. I've tried it occasionally and it really does add power/torque and all the other stuff (blackness, air, PRaT, pinpoint imaging etc). But:
- I suspect it will only work to its best with engine management systems designed to make setting adjustments by reference to the fuel used
- please don't take this as a recommendation of its use. I'm sure using the resulting extra power/torque will put extra load on your engine and possibly shorten its life.
- it works out quite pricey

As for different oils, check your handbook: some of the guff about specific oils is not just a puff for a particular oill company - Audis for example require one of (I think) three particular oils and your warranty is invalidated if you use other stuff (shades of NAC5 anyone?).

Tim
Posted on: 16 October 2002 by Tony Lockhart
A tank of Optimax in my Golf costs about £2 more than regular unleaded. Shell have done the homework, and I have a certain confidence in them. How much is the Millers additive? How accurately does it have to be 'administered'?
Oh, and the FIA lab tested Optimax with Millers 'road and cat compatible', and it gave over 100 Ron.
If Optimax cleans as the Evo mag photos showed, and gives better power all for no hassle, it'll do for me.
And it does!
Tony
Posted on: 17 October 2002 by Dev B
quote:
A tank of Optimax in my Golf costs about £2 more than regular unleaded

But I told you that what you are getting is regular fuel which is the same as everyone elses is it still good value?

quote:
Shell have done the homework

No they haven't, Optimax generally considered to be a flop and will probably be dropped. The UK market generally will not pay a premia for fuel.

quote:
and I have a certain confidence in them

You can be sure they are screwing you. smile

regards

Dev
Posted on: 17 October 2002 by Tony Lockhart
Well, I played a small trick on my wife by filling with Optimax without telling her. And she spotted something 'different, better, smoother' on both cars.
Dev seems to be telling me that when I did a similar thing by sneaking a hi-cap into my system that my wife imagined firstly the improvements, then the 'sounds like it's flat and lifeless' effect when I disconnected it.
This 'all fuel is the same attitude' is codswallop, especially the idea that the cheapest, nastiest supermarket stuff is the same as a fresh delivery of super or whatever.
Tony
quote:
I played a small trick on my wife by filling with Optimax without telling her. And she spotted something 'different, better, smoother' on both cars.

Hi Tony, If you and your wife like Optimax who am I to argue - enjoy. Sometimes people do find that fuel from a particular garage or supplier suits them better. regards, Dev

ps.
quote:
This 'all fuel is the same attitude' is codswallop

It is, and you are wrong.
Posted on: 17 October 2002 by John Sheridan
Well, either Dev is talking BS or English consumers are getting screwed. Here's an analysis of the Australian versions:

Shell Optimax, BP Ultimate
Octane(ASTM D2699) 98.4, 98 plus
Density(ASTM D4052)760.0 (kg/m3), 750 (kg/m3)
Benzene (ASTM D3606) 3.3 (%Vol), 1.0 max (%Vol)
Sulphur (ASTM D1266).015 (%Mass), .0050 (% Mass)

Distillation for both fuels is as per ASTM D86. Although Evaporation levels
is higher with Ultimate as well is the Final Boiling Point.
Posted on: 17 October 2002 by Chunny Nochubb
Many thanks Derek for your prompt repsonse about Saabs

Before I try it or any other super unleaded, can anyone answer my question about whether these higher grade fuels give off higher levels of benzene and other noxious vapours (prior to combustion)?

CNC
Posted on: 17 October 2002 by Tim Oldridge
"Well, either Dev is talking BS or English consumers are getting screwed."

Your two formulations are not mutually inconsistant.
Posted on: 17 October 2002 by Tim Oldridge
AFAICR one bottle treats 50 litres of petrol (approximately a tankful), and raises the octane of whatever you put in by two RON. I think a bottle is in the region of £2 to £3 a go.

Someone said you can get it from Demon Tweaks, but I found a couple of bottles in a Chiswick shop.

As for the Optimax marketing hype, it's very simple, except for Dev who'd no doubt be sacked/have to pay for it personally if he bought Shell. Give it a try: run a few tankfuls through and then change back to 97 or 95. If you can tell the difference, go back to Optimax, if you can't, make Dev happy and buy BP. My bet is that on most cars set up for super-unleaded, you will see a difference.

Tim
quote:
Your two formulations are not mutually inconsistant.

smile smile smile
Posted on: 18 October 2002 by NB
Shell optimax is certainly worth the extra.

I run a Toyota Supra turbo modified to produce over 450 brake horse power.

There is a noticable improvement in using the super unleaded over the normal unleaded fuel. However using shell optimax gives a further improvement. There is definately a bigger bang in the pistons and acceleration is noticably improved. The sound that comes out of my 5" exhaust is wonderful.

My garage also tell me that using optimax increases the life expectancy of the engine.

So all in all definately worth the extra.

Regards

NB
Posted on: 18 October 2002 by Simon Matthews
"450 brake horse power".

Barmy poke!

How many points on the licence?
Posted on: 18 October 2002 by Tony Lockhart
Some turbo-car tuners even offer 'Optimax' chip tuning. IIRC, my Golf goes from 150bhp standard to 212bhp chipped and 217bhp with the Optimax chip. Torque stays roughly the same with the 2 chips at 240Ib/ft max.
So everything from a 1.4 Corsa to a monster Supra gives at least subjective improvements! Not bad for something that's the same as Tesco's worst.
Tony
Posted on: 18 October 2002 by greeny
Dev's being a bit naughty with this one.

It is true that most suppliers use each others refineries as described earlier (by Dev probably). However in the case of Optimax the rollout accross the country was very slow and regionalized simply because they did not have the production facilities and distribution network set up correctly. SO I have some confidence that Optimax is really Optimax.

However I suspect also that somtimes a particular supermarket or non shell petrol station may also get some optimax, however you do of course need to always use the same fuel to ensure the wells are not 'contaminated' with other fuel. I believe when shell introduced this they did not advertise it as such at a particular station until the third refill of the well.

Having said all this, I had an impreza turbo and used this for a while but found no worthwhile improvement so stopped.

There are hundreds of posts on this subject on the scooby bulliten board it anyone's interested.

[URL=www.scoobynet.co.uk/]scoobynet home page[/URL
No points as of yet, luckily here in Leicester we don't have as many speed camera's as London does. I have to be extra careful when I drive In london although the guy that did the modification recons he had my car doing 160 on the A13!!

Is the police force in London desperate for the extra revenue??

Regards

NB

wink
Shame you didn't go for a proper car in the first place wink

NB
This will make you laugh, I have a little button on my dashboard that gives me an extra 50 bhp just in case I need it!!!!

eek

NB
Posted on: 18 October 2002 by Hammerhead
NB,

Is it one of these?

One of Japans better efforts if so. I always liked these better than the 'Medallion Man' Nissan 300ZX's.

Steve
Posted on: 19 October 2002 by NB
Close!!

I have a mark iii Supra, Black with no body kit.

Body kit and fancy alloy wheels make it very nickable and sends insurance premiums through the roof. It also makes you a police magnet.

I like to be a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing and then see the surprised look on peoples faces when I leave them for dead!!

Regards

NB
smile
Posted on: 21 October 2002 by greeny
NB.

I think you'll be lucky to pass any Supra off as a 'Sheep in wolves clothing' even without a body kit.

Supra's are OK if you like that sort of 70's hairy chest thing, and don't want to go around any corners!
Posted on: 24 October 2002 by NB
Quote:-

Supra's are OK if you like that sort of 70's hairy chest thing, and don't want to go around any corners!

I have lowered and up- graded the standard Supra suspension!! Then fitted Bridgestone tyres which are better in the wet than most tyres are in the dry!!

What was a good car at handling corners is now a car that handles corners as if it was on rails.

There is nothing better than overtaking a quick car on the outside of a roundabout when turning right!!

NB
wink
Posted on: 24 October 2002 by matthewr
"There is nothing better than overtaking a quick car on the outside of a roundabout when turning right!!"

Surely driving safely and responsibly with due care and attention to the safety of others would be better?

Matthew
Of course it is!

I drive with due care and attention at all times and obey the highway code as any good driver does.

wink

NB
Posted on: 24 October 2002 by John Sheridan
quote:
I drive with due care and attention at all times and obey the highway code as any good driver does.

except when speeding around the outside of 'quick' cars on roundabouts? confused
Who said anything about speeding?? I stick within the speed limits at all times. I just get there quicker!!

NB smile