NaimNet

Posted by: Lark on 17 November 2007

Hi

Please forgive the questions as I am technologically challenged.

Will the NaimNet server/ player thing be compatible with MACs? Also will it be compatible with iTunes?

I just do not get all this HD, download stuff yet, but fancy the idea of storing all my CDs in one place and having a Jukebox!!Smile I think it will mean more hrs of music for the family and less TV. Also more varied/ eclectic listening

Cheers Karl
Posted on: 29 November 2007 by Dr. Exotica
After spending an evening reading various web sites, product reviews, and other forums, the decision seems a bit less obvious than I previously thought wrt how to build or buy a music server. Some of the NAS devices are reasonably priced, though they are usually single disk systems that will require some fussing around to get slimserver (my preference) running. In addition, some question the levels of support and longevity - i.e., will the manufacturer retire the device - no longer work to get the latest version of slimserver running.

There are other nicer/fancier NAS devices that support multiple disks (usually various RAID options) and seem more robust, but they are much more expensive. They too will probably suffer from the product retirement/support problem as their cheaper cousins at some stage.

Another alternative is to build a mini/nano/pico-ipx pc server. There are some pretty cool sites detailing how to build one. In addition, there are retail sites that focus on this hardware subdomain. This is an interesting possibility - but of course costs more that the basic NAS devices, but oftentimes less than the multidisk RAIDed NAS devices.

When I step back for a moment, it seems that the issue that is bothering me the most is longevity - if I spend all the time converting my CDs to FLACs/whatever, I will not want to repeat the process for some time to come. PCs and NAS devices, like all computer hardware, has a very finite lifespan (unlike much of our Naim gear). This asymmetry is the issue - the hi-fi gear will last for many years to come, but the computer hardware rarely does.

Maybe I should just get over it and buy a cheap NAS device, and realize that at some point (3-5 years) I will need to buy another one and simply transfer the FLACs. Who knows what this world will look like in five years.
Posted on: 29 November 2007 by David Dever
quote:
Maybe I should just get over it and buy a cheap NAS device, and realize that at some point (3-5 years) I will need to buy another one and simply transfer the FLACs. Who knows what this world will look like in five years.

This is a reasonable assumption–even such that the price/performance ratio for hard disk storage shifts on a regular basis (upgrade storage capacity for low $).

Also–it's worth pointing out that there are multiple components to a music server, of which storage is only one aspect....
Posted on: 29 November 2007 by Keith L
If I was to start afresh I would probably get a mac mini with an external usb drive dedicated to run slimserver. As it is, my carbon footprint is larger than need be when my old emac fires up its monitor. A mac mini is silent in sleep mode and should be very quiet in operation.
Posted on: 29 November 2007 by garyi
After my disastrous attempts with NAS, and the fact it is so damned slow! (They don't tell you this) I would not look at one again for home use. In perspective, to copy 100gigs was going to take 13 hours.

I have a mac mini and three harddrives now , it works flawlessly is not costly and lives one one half of one shelf in a cupboard up stairs. The mini handles itunes for the rest of the house including the music for the living room, video, mail back up and torrents.

Total cost £680
quote:
After my disastrous attempts with NAS, and the fact it is so damned slow! (They don't tell you this) I would not look at one again for home use. In perspective, to copy 100gigs was going to take 13 hours.

You get what you pay for. At work I ended up with a Lacie Ethernet Server with its own 1ghz processor and 1g RAM. It's light years faster than the NAS I had before which I returned to PC World because it was so slow.
Posted on: 29 November 2007 by Dr. Exotica
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:
I have a mac mini and three harddrives now , it works flawlessly is not costly and lives one one half of one shelf in a cupboard up stairs. The mini handles itunes for the rest of the house including the music for the living room, video, mail back up and torrents.

Total cost £680

Garyi - this is another interesting option. The Mac Minis are reasonably affordable ($599 for the basic model in the US) - this is twice (or thrice) as much as an entry level NAS. Given that it can run slimserver as well as allow me to utilize existing external USB drives, it may be a good way to go.

Given that you are running with a SB3 - are you required to use slimserver, or will iTunes also suffice?

(yes, I am infact a very lazy person. I should look this up myself ...)
quote:
Given that you are running with a SB3 - are you required to use slimserver, or will iTunes also suffice?

As far as I know SB3 needs SlimServer to be running. SlimServer will automatically find your iTunes library. I rip using iTunes. SlimServer does not need any user input once it is set up.

SlimServer automatically updates its database when you add to your iTunes library.
Posted on: 30 November 2007 by AV@naim
quote:
Originally posted by Cjones:
quote:
Originally posted by AV@naim:
If the music is in the appropriate format and in the correct directory structure, then yes.

It wil pick up music from shared folders on your network/USB devices, beit MAC/PC/linux.

I am duplicated several 100 cd's and was wondering what that directory structure might be? I am using exact copy to do the job.

Any word when we will get the first units state sides?

Artist -> Album -> tracks. Standard formatting

(MP3 with ID tag "should" effectivley sort itself out tho...)
Posted on: 30 November 2007 by garyi
Mr Exotica.

I do not use a SB, I have an appletv:

www.apple.com/appletv

This streams video and photoes as well. Hence my choice.

SB needs its server to run, but can use an iTunes library. In that respect the applTV or indeed an airport express is the same, it needs itunes runnin gon the host, as in this case itunes is the server.
Posted on: 30 November 2007 by Dr. Exotica
Gary - the appletv is a pretty sweet looking box. My problem is that my TV is at the other end of the house from the hi-fi - it is however positioned near one of my secondary systems (Nait 1).

For my primary system, the mac mini and an sb3 still seem the way to go. On ebay, nice mac minis (previous generation Power PC variants) can be had for ~$325. Quite a deal.
Posted on: 10 December 2007 by Cjones
HA!!!!
So, I hear that the first of the Naim-Net product is shipping or just about to ship in the UK!!!!

I also heard that its 90 days before its state-side.

Someone had better wake up the US dealers as they still don't seem to have a clue, or care. I have yet to find a local US dealer that is Naim-Net authorized.
Posted on: 10 December 2007 by David Dever
Chris, we're on top of it–we will be receiving the first of the NS-series servers over here in the next few weeks (this is our first hands-on opportunity with 'em).

We'll be showing the NS01 server at CES in January with actual production software.

In the U.S., there is significant footwork to be done, still, even with the distribution side (sales and support)–it is not simply an issue of handing someone a box.

I know you've been waiting patiently–as have others. But, given a choice between releasing something half-baked next week, and waiting until many of the persistent issues have been fixed, the latter is always preferable, no matter how loud the clamor.

In the meantime, speak with your installer as regards a follow-up from us.
Posted on: 10 December 2007 by Cjones
David, well this is certainly good news. Is this the only part of Naim-Net at CES or will there be others, such as the network pre-amp or more importantly, the networked amps?

Will check in with the installer.
Posted on: 10 December 2007 by David Dever
As i understand it, the IP preamp will be some ways off. Room amps, OTOH, will be forthcoming soon (but not on display at this show).

For many, the servers will be the big deal–for others, the room amps will become a huge upgrade in performance over the existing NetStreams alternatives.