Curry - recommendations

Posted by: MichaelC on 29 April 2003

I have a particular liking for curry. Having said that most curry houses are, in my opinion, not up to much.

Last Saturday I ended up in town with a few friends for a meal at the Cinnamon Club - I was most impressed. Although the menu was exceedingly limited the food was absolutely superb. All dishes were superbly marinated, cooked superbly and presented beautifully.The staff were highly attentive without being overbearing. Highly recommended.

Does anyone else have a recommendation for places to eat (and if so why)?

Regards

Mike
Posted on: 02 May 2003 by Chris Brandon
I notice Naheed mentions Mumtaz in Bradford

Mumtaz is one of my two "stock" recommendations based on trying more than a few ( ...well you have to dont you....?! )

The other being the "Kashmir" located near the National photographic museum.

Chatting with some Asian colleagues & freinds,it seems to be that the "younger" generation seem to prefer Mumtaz (I think that it is more to do with the more "upmarket" appearance and must be said,very professional and slick operation) whereas the "older" generation seem to prefer the Kashmir ( which,i suppose could be described as more "basic")

I love the food in both,but both are markedly different,but if pushed to a preference,it would be the Kashmir for me.

Anyway,I am now salivating in true "Homer" stylie .....wherethe hell are my car keys !!!......

Chris
Posted on: 02 May 2003 by Rich Cundill
My fave curry houses:-
Halal, Alie Street, London (unfeasibly cheap)
Kashmir, Basingstoke
One across the road from the Blue Cat, Stockport
Another whose name escapes me in Swinton, Manchester (better than Rusholme)

I am now starving!!!!!

Rich
Posted on: 05 May 2003 by Chris Brandon
Akbars 1276-1278 Leeds Road,Bradford.

Tried it last night,food was stunning ! ( Similar "house flavour" to Mumtaz,but better !)

Chris
Posted on: 07 May 2003 by BLT
For anyone north of the border - Either of the two Suruchi restaurants in Edinburgh are excellent. Not the usual universal "sauce" type dishes, but much closer to genuine regional Indian cuisine.
Posted on: 07 May 2003 by Berlin Fritz
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Brandon:
Akbars 1276-1278 Leeds Road,Bradford.

Tried it last night,food was stunning ! ( Similar "house flavour" to Mumtaz,but better !)

Chris

It sounds like heaven !

Cheers, Fritz

Graham Ricketts
Posted on: 07 May 2003 by Chris Brandon
It was VERY good ! ......bit of a treck from Berlin to West Yorkshire though ! ( It's good...but "that" good ? )

Chris
Posted on: 07 May 2003 by Steve Toy
The Eastern Eye in Lichfield, Staffordshire.

Voted best Indian restaurant in 1999.

The only drawback is that a number of politicians have eaten there including Two Jags.

They are big into cream, coriander and garlic in their dishes.

Regards,

Steve.
Posted on: 14 May 2003 by Berlin Fritz
A nice couple of frozen Vesta jobbies, bunged in the microwave, and a flaggon of still cider to wash it doon wiv, luvvly jubbly, innit:

Fritz Von Poppadom

http://graham.ricketts.bei.t-online.de

Innit, Oh an don't forget the ketchup !!!

Graham Ricketts
Posted on: 15 May 2003 by BLT
Berlin Fritz, what you really want is a Chicken Curry Not Foodle - the true taste of the Orient.
Posted on: 29 October 2003 by Roy T
The Joy Of Curry - Wed 29 Oct, BBC2, 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm 60mins

Neil Morrissey celebrates the joy of curry, and tells the story of how this dish has captured the hearts, minds and tastebuds of an adoring British public. Celebrity curryholics including John Thompson, Terry Wogan, Anthony Worral Thompson, and Laurence Llewelyn Bowen, recall tales of hot vindaloos, rustling up Vestas in the Seventies and eating cold curry for breakfast.

You can download scratch & smell cards from the BBC2 site. . .

Roy T
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by Tom F
Great Kathmandu, Burton Road, West Didsbury, Manchester. One of the best in the city.

Rusholme is pretty much of a muchness, but Hanaan is one worth visiting.

Alternatively, for a decent Thai curry, head to Koh Samui on Princess Street, Manchester. Excellent restaurant.