HDX is here - GFFJ your prayers answered.

Posted by: Staedtler on 23 April 2008

On the Naim News page...

HDX
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by Don Phillips
If it is able to store all the titles in your CD collection, perhaps it should be called "the Naim-sake"
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by Steve S1
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Meredith:
quote:
Originally posted by intothevoid:
SSD (solid state disks) are the way to go now.

How retro.

The, fairly, obvious future is instantaneous download on demand. No local storage.

Yep, Hey mama we're all streaming now...as Noddy might have said. Smile
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by Chillkram
quote:
Originally posted by Whizzkid:
Muhahahahahahahahah!

Jon?!!!! Confused
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by pjl
I think I'll stick with my CDS3 for the moment. For storing high quality downloads of music I suppose I can see the point of having a server. I'm used to buying my music on CD though, and I quite like the whole package with artwork etc., something you can literally hold in your hand. I've no doubt that, in the future, all music and films will be downloaded onto hard drives and future generations will probably laugh at the thought of storing hundreds of CD's and DVD's in racks. Analogous to a paper filing system compared to computer records I suppose. I wonder how many people buying servers will actually bother to get around to transferring tbeir entire existing music collection to hard disk? For me, I think life's too short to bother.

Peter
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by Massimo Bertola
quote:
Originally posted by glevethan:
quote:

How retro.
The, fairly, obvious future is instantaneous download on demand. No local storage.

Why not just have the band come over to the house Big Grin

Why not learn to play a musical instrument and do music personally at home the way it was done for some 500 years before HiFi?
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by 555
I tried that Max.

Weird thing was I found I could play guitar much better than Hendrix.
I'm a big fan of Jimi, so I vowed never to play again to protect his reputation.

Now I'm honour bound to get my music from my HiFi.
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by AndrewK7
Good morning from London.

I think the advantage of the HDX is downloading internet music. I would not duplicate my CDs to hard disk. Waste of time. I suppose one could also copy music to the hard disk from a Tuner. The musical quality of the HDX should be better than the CDX2 at the price of it.
Posted on: 24 April 2008 by jon h
quote:
Originally posted by Chillkram:
quote:
Originally posted by Whizzkid:
Muhahahahahahahahah!

Jon?!!!! Confused

Not me, Guv!
Posted on: 24 April 2008 by rupert bear
I didn't see mention of the price - did I miss something?
Posted on: 24 April 2008 by michael1702
quote:
Originally posted by pjl:
I wonder how many people buying servers will actually bother to get around to transferring tbeir entire existing music collection to hard disk? For me, I think life's too short to bother.

just transfer one cd when listening to it. sooner or later all your favorite cds are one the server. don't bother with the other ones you don't play anyway.

michael
Posted on: 24 April 2008 by m0omo0
quote:
No one will be posting information until then - unless they want a spanking.

Well, some media professionals didn't listen to the instructions. Two hours early. Looks very good though.
anyone with internet access at the hdx press conference? (-:
Nope.
Posted on: 24 April 2008 by Mike Smiff
power surge and server crashes at 14.30 then lol Big Grin
Posted on: 24 April 2008 by Roy Donaldson
Ok, so it's a Naim HDD player based upon the NS03 then ? At £4500, it's a bit more expensive than the NS03 too.

Guess the next questions are, does it support UPnP AV on the ethernet connection ? and, can it stream other multiple sources out it's ethernet ?

Roy.
Posted on: 24 April 2008 by Roy Donaldson
Instant Access to Your Music with Naim's HDX
quote:
Originally posted by Roy Donaldson:
Guess the next questions are, does it support UPnP AV on the ethernet connection ? and, can it stream other multiple sources out it's ethernet ?

The next question still is, how good does it sound ? Winker

On one specific announcement, Naim appears to follow Linn. No worries, this is a Good Thing(TM). Not enough to assert God's inexistence , I'm afraid.
Posted on: 24 April 2008 by gary1 (US)
agree, ultimately immediate download and demand is the way to go. I stopped buy CD's along time ago and have not used my CD3.5 since purchasing sonos (quality at this point sacfriced for convenience and access). What's needed from here is a stand alone ethernet connected DAC with digital input so you can connect Sonos/SB to this and then just ethernet download and connect directly to your DAC. Linn could offer this now as a subscription service. Aside from the quality of the DAC the issue is what is the user interface. No one has come out with an easier more user friendly interface than Sonos IMHO(some may prefer i-pod). This would complete the picture.
So, the cat is out of the bag...

Naim's 400GB audiophile music player

Twin 400GB, nightly backup, upgradable with XPS2/555PS, is a CD player as well. Streams to 6 StreamNet devices, play music from network.

Oh, and 24-bit/96kHz downloads coming from Naim.
quote:
can be upgraded with the use of Naim’s XPS or PS555 external power supplies.
(-:
quote:
go into the shops in August
)-:

He he, first! Cool
quote:
Originally posted by m0omo0:
He he, first! Cool

shouldn't have edited mine! (-:
what's naim-£4500 in naim-euro (austria/germany)?
Posted on: 24 April 2008 by JY
quote:
Originally posted by m0omo0:
So, the cat is out of the bag...

Twin 400GB, nightly backup, upgradable with XPS2/555PS, is a CD player as well. Streams to 6 StreamNet devices, play music from network.

Oh, and 24-bit/96kHz downloads coming from Naim.

Wow, my dream machine. With all the functionality of the Squeezebox/Transporter and more, and NAIM sound!!

Now I am thinking of holding my CD5X purchase.

I wonder if it is close to the performance of a CD5X, or a CDX2?