Help needed with WAF strategy!

Posted by: JohanR on 05 November 2003

The other day I managed to stumble over a new girlfriend!

For the moment I'm trying my best to keep here out of my house but one day, of course, the invasion will come. And I very much like to keep my HiFi system as is, complete with very special room acoustics (occupying a bedroom that, I'm sure will be argued, could be used to other things, like sleeping in) and ugly M**a tables.

I would also like to have some leaveage for future upgrades.

What to do?

Some ideas of my own.

- Stunn her with the model railroad (it's occupying the other bedroom) first. After that she will be so numbed by the shock that everything else will get through.

- Prepare for future upgrades by buying up a stock of unused Naim boxes for show that later (and secretely) can be turned into working ones. Maybe manufacture something out of chip board to look like DBL:s (with tiny current Royd:s inside).

- Give it up and sell off the HiFi (like a friends friend is doing with his active DBL system in preparation for the upcoming wife), put the model railroad in boxes and hope for the future.

- Play it cool and say "This is me, take it or leave it!".

- Or?

JohanR
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by domfjbrown
quote:
Originally posted by Markus Sauer:
she'll probably use your flat to size you up further as potential boyfriend/partner material. What she probably wants to see is if she would feel comfortable living with you.

Oh great - so by that rationale I, as a singleton, need to get 200 scatter cushions, flowery wallpaper and a million houseplants, and get a 21 inch mono telly, a portable stereo, and some bad ornaments....

...by this point of course, she'll think I'm gay, so that's that out of the question!

This is a fine line dudes - personally I'd not change anything in my house if I was mid 40s - if I'd not sorted myself out by then I'd not be bothered to worry about how my house looks; people of that age should be over all that home decor stuff anyway, unless it's bright pink with orange polkadots!

What would have followed if you had.

Posted on: 07 November 2003 by domfjbrown
quote:
Originally posted by domfjbrown:
quote:
Originally posted by Markus Sauer:
she'll probably use your flat to size you up further as potential boyfriend/partner material. What she probably wants to see is if she would feel comfortable living with you.

Oh great - so by that rationale I, as a singleton, need to get 200 scatter cushions, flowery wallpaper and a million houseplants, and get a 21 inch mono telly, a portable stereo, and some bad ornaments....

...by this point of course, she'll think I'm gay, so that's that out of the question!

This is a fine line dudes - personally I'd not change anything in my house if I was mid 40s - if I'd not sorted myself out by then I'd not be bothered to worry about how my house looks; people of that age should be over all that home decor stuff anyway, unless it's bright pink with orange polkadots!

Ah - and on the Celine Dion - why stop at coasters - she should be force-fed her own garbage music until she chokes or dies of plastic poisoning...

Posted on: 07 November 2003 by Markus S
quote:
Originally posted by domfjbrown:

Dom,

if that was the taste of my hopeful, I'd leave a Jack the Ripper Fan Club Gold Membership Card, a Thank You note, signed in lipstick by all the girls from the local house of ill repute, and a notice from the local NHS office ("You are in violation of your quarantine orders yet again! Please report immediately!") all prominently displayed.

If that wasn't sufficient to get rid of her, I'd involve her in a conversation on which tastes better, bunny or dog, and which sauce best accompanies the dish.

You get my drift ...
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by long-time-dead
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Scott:

Of course, in Glasgow you never leave home - no matter how heavily fortified - if you want to hang on to your possessions.

Alan

You guys from Edinburgh never learn......the trick is to claim the insurance and then buy it back in the pub for a tenner !!

I have no fears about my kit being stolen - it's all Linn and I have read the many kind remarks about "the Scottish firm" on this forum to be safe that nobody wants it - especially when they can steal an Amstrad !!!

Wink

NB : The only time my car has been broken into was in Edinburgh - just for the record.
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by long-time-dead
So do I ! Smile
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by Tarquin Maynard - Portly
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Scott:
A "friend" Paul? What would Lady Penelope say?

Obvious!

Parker......

Yes, Milady?

Take Orf My Dress...

Yes, Milady..

And dont let me catch you wearing it again.......

Regards

Mike

On the Yellow Brick Road and happy