Best Naim Amp for Slim Transporter

Posted by: DaveBk on 11 August 2008

Hi all,

I've been using a NAC112/NAP150 combo for about 6 years, but have a bad case of upgraditis coming on. My only source is now a Slim Devices Transporter which offers fantastic sound with all the convenience of a network player. All my CDs are ripped in FLAC format onto a 1Tb of RAID5 NAS.

My current preferred option is to drive a NAP250 direct without a preamp - the Transporter output stage has switched attenuators so I should be able to get the line level right.

The alternative option would be to downgrade the amp to a NAP200 and pair it up with a NAC202 although the preamp seems unnecessary to me unless you beleive the 'magic' some people belive the Naim preamps add to the equation.

Is anyone out there using the Transporter with Naim amps? What works best?

I'm currently driving a pair or Monitor Audio Silver RS6's, but may well upgrade these as well in a year or so, but I'm happy with the sound and other reviews of these speakers confirm they punch their weight against far more expensive competition.

Thanks in anticipation!
Posted on: 22 August 2008 by DaveBk
I'm rarely in your neck of the woods, but if I am I'd certainly appreciate a listen. Thanks
Posted on: 23 August 2008 by DaveBk
I've decided...

NAP250.2
NAC282
Supercap

And most likely a pair of SL2s to round it off. Thanks to James down in St Albans for his help making my mind up.
Posted on: 23 August 2008 by CharlieP
DaveBK,

That will make a wonderful system. But, to hear all it has to offer, you need to add:

Naim DC-1
Lavry DA-10

Cheers,

Charlie
Posted on: 23 August 2008 by CharlieP
Naim DC-1 is a digital coax cable with RCA connectors. For DaveBK, it would go between the Transporter and the Lavry DA-10 DAC. Search the forums for comments - it seems well regarded. At $300 US, I just took a chance, and it was clearly better than a generic cable I was using.

Charlie
Posted on: 23 August 2008 by DaveBk
I have exhausted the budget for now... will look at DACs next year Big Grin