Thank you - Decision made(ish)

Posted by: u5227470736789454 on 28 August 2008

Hi,

I have been "lurking" on here for a little while now asking the odd question about this or that. It has been an unusual journey, I began looking at home-cinema / stereo and have ended up deciding on a streaming hi-fi, the latter is down to all the people who have responded directly to my questions and to the many discussions about the pro's and cons of streaming (and some listening sessions of course)

Given all this info and following a good meeting with one of the guys from Latham ( NL importer )I decided that the streaming route is the route, the HDX is in the future for me, so my chosen system will be Supernait, Flatcap 2x, DC1 connect and an Apple TV, I just need to finalise my speakers a choice of Totem Staff/Hawk, Neat 4i, Audio Physic Tempo VI. This hopefully will give me performance approaching that of a CD5X ( I'd rather put the cost of the CD5X money towards my HDX fund )

Any thoughts you have about this will be gratefully received as I have a little time yet as I need to listen to a couple of the speakers before laying out the cash.

Thanks again, this really is a great forum

Barrie
Posted on: 03 September 2008 by gary1 (US)
quote:
Originally posted by KTMax:
I don't know how a 202/200 sounds without a Hi. But when I think back when I added a Hi to my 102/180 years ago I felt it should be prohibited to buy them without. The improvement is that big. Guess it's the same with the 202/200.

Richard.

Barrie--the 202/200 needs both the HC2 and NAPSC
Posted on: 03 September 2008 by u5227470736789439
The 202 with 200 combo may need both the HC2 and NAPSC to perform at its optimum, but it certainly does not require them to work. You can power the NAC 202 straight off the built in pre-amp power supply in the NAP 200.

ATB from George
Posted on: 19 September 2008 by Kartik
quote:
The 202 with 200 combo may need both the HC2 and NAPSC to perform at its optimum, but it certainly does not require them to work. You can power the NAC 202 straight off the built in pre-amp power supply in the NAP 20

Absolutely true.

When I was moving on from my Nait5i, I very much wanted to go to the Supernait (one-box convenience, DAC, etc). Unfortunately my sneaky dealer made me listen to a 202/200 set (without any external power supplies) as well, and that just threw all of my simple upgrade plans out the window.

The bare 202/200 sounded markedly better (to me) than the bare SN... less forced/harsh and more musical. I later listened to both with various power supplies attached, and the 202/hi/200 opened up an even bigger gap from the SN/hi or SN/fc. Source was cdx2.

I've never done the DAC comparison, so can't opine on the Lavry vs SN DAC question, but for analogue replay I thought that the 202/200 was well worth the extra money over the SN. And you leave yourself with the option of one day getting a hicap, which will make an already lovely combination sound dramatically better (I think that the improvement shown by adding a Hicap to the 202/200 is a lot more than that from adding a PS to a SN).

If you do go for the 202/200, probably worth the extra $500 for the NAPSC too - cleans up the digital grunge from the top end and makes the treble quite wonderful and not the least bit fatiguing. Hicap can come later if/when you feel like spending a bit more money.

These are obviously simply my views and many other might disagree. If you play with the search function on the forum you'll find a lot on the 202/200 vs SN subject. However, in the end, the only way to decide is audition audition audition!
Posted on: 22 September 2008 by Es335tdc
Regarding the recent series of Summer Sounds presentations in the Benelux. There has been the mention that the HDX used during the presentations as being a 'pre-production'model. This isn't accurate. It was one of the first production models and as usual, back orders dictate that the first units, as with any new product, are spread around the markets for demonstration purposes. Logically, this process also enables distributors and their dealers to give feedback on the initial experiences on performance, ease of use etc.
I can confirm that the Summer Sounds events, with perhaps one exception, featured A-B comparison with CDX2. From all accounts the general consensus of opinion came out in favour of the HDX, however the dealer/client demonstration in Leiden led to the purchase of a CDX2.
One final point, the HDX used during our Summer Sounds events in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Brussels etc - in fact all Summer Sounds locations - was the same unit, as was that used for the Leiden dealer/client session!
Best regards,
Malcolm Latham
Posted on: 23 September 2008 by Es335tdc
Reply to Munch,
No, we do not retail. Our company is the Benelux distributor for NAIM. We supply to a network of dealers. As we are also responsible for the local marketing, we are always interested as whether concepts originating in Salisbury can be applied to our territories. Due to cultural differences (yes, even as far as hi-fi goes!), and the fact that NAIM have a strong historic presence in the 'home' market, we have to reach a broader range of potential clients, many of whom have little or no knowledge of the brand. This means 'grass roots' presentations are at national shows such as the VAD Show (similar to Bristol but not dealer connected).
As far as Summer Sounds is concerned, from our first look at the concept, we knew that this was workable here and an ideal opportunity to get the new products known to those who don't travel to the national show but are happy to spend an evening in their local dealer's showroom.
Malcolm