squeezebox help needed

Posted by: Seanbeer on 07 August 2008

guys,

i bought a 2nd hand 'squeezbox', its the oldest version of hte SB, not the SB2 , i manage to get it playing msuic from my comptuer and tune in radio stations but not when i turned my computer off.

is it possible ? to play radio station without my comptuer turned on?

again, its a 'SB' not the 'SB2' or 3, it a wireless version tho.
Posted on: 15 August 2008 by KTMax
quote:
Originally posted by Alco: I have a SB3 and can listen to my favorite radiostaions, without the need of my PC being powered on.

I'm looking at the SB too. Seems like good fun for the money. How does the sound from webradio compare to a Naim FM Tuner?

From what I've been able to find out, music services like Rhapsody are not available outside the US. Rhapsody membership allows you to listen to complete albums of your own choice. That is brilliant imo! It's like having huge music store at your fingertips to find good music! Is there such a service that works in Europe too?

Richard.
Posted on: 15 August 2008 by Seanbeer
quote:
Originally posted by KTMax:
quote:
Originally posted by Alco: I have a SB3 and can listen to my favorite radiostaions, without the need of my PC being powered on.

I'm looking at the SB too. Seems like good fun for the money. How does the sound from webradio compare to a Naim FM Tuner?

From what I've been able to find out, music services like Rhapsody are not available outside the US. Rhapsody membership allows you to listen to complete albums of your own choice. That is brilliant imo! It's like having huge music store at your fingertips to find good music! Is there such a service that works in Europe too?

Richard.

the Sound from webradio is NOTHING NEAR to a NAT FM.

but the number of channels and the amount of music avaiable from a SB is what make it win over a NAT.
Posted on: 15 August 2008 by KTMax
Nothing near even... Hmmm... Roll Eyes
Posted on: 15 August 2008 by JY
quote:
Originally posted by Seanbeer:
the guy at Radar was telling the truth, in pure sound quality terms, what you've got , even without any cap , according to my ears, are better than the supernait. with same source and speakers. The supernait is very good but its more like a grown up NAIT to my ears, the 202/200 is like a grown up 122x / 150x.

I am listening to my 202/200 setup now and yes it is very nice. I did audition the SuperNait against the Nait 5i at Radar when it first came out and frankly I could not hear a difference between the two. The sales guy couldn't believe it but I guess it is hard to tell in a dealer showroom.

quote:
btw, where u keep your CDs after rippings are done?

I sold many CDs that I don't care about to the local used CD store. But I still keep most of my CDs on a wall to wall CD shelf in my study, I rarely listen to them but keep them for those special moments. Somehow there is still something about holding a physical media, superstition I guess. This explains why I am still interested in getting a good CD player.
Seanbeer, I think to bring the SB3 level to Naim players level, you may also need a power supply upgrade and/or a mod like the SB+
Posted on: 15 August 2008 by Seanbeer
quote:
Originally posted by JY:
Seanbeer, I think to bring the SB3 level to Naim players level, you may also need a power supply upgrade and/or a mod like the SB+

there is a CD5x up in R33 now, for a resonable price.

i have been listening to the SB3 with compressed mp3s of some of my CDs and the webradio for a week. this morning , finally i got up to spin a Queen's CD in my CD5i, certianly not audiophile recording but i love it and kind of realise / think it will take as much as a CD5i with a SB3 to perform the same.
Yes I saw that CD5X. Bad timing as I am going out of town in a couple of days.
Posted on: 16 August 2008 by Seanbeer
quote:
Originally posted by JY:
Yes I saw that CD5X. Bad timing as I am going out of town in a couple of days.

enjoy your trip, just make sure you bring youself some duty free wine back !
Posted on: 16 August 2008 by KTMax
I've have a loaner SB3 hooked up. I don't play (or have) MP3s but I want to used it for webradio. With decent streams like from RadioIO it sounds ok. Good even considering its price.

I'm disappointed to find out that music services like Rhapsody, Pandora and Last.FM all don't work in Europe. Frown Nice toy to play with but I'm not sure I'll buy one though.

Richard.
Posted on: 17 August 2008 by JY
quote:
Originally posted by KTMax:
I've have a loaner SB3 hooked up. I don't play (or have) MP3s but I want to used it for webradio. With decent streams like from RadioIO it sounds ok. Good even considering its price.

I'm disappointed to find out that music services like Rhapsody, Pandora and Last.FM all don't work in Europe. Frown Nice toy to play with but I'm not sure I'll buy one though.

Richard.

Yes this is extremely frustrating for non-US users, Pandora would have been a killer app for the Squeezebox. I used it for a month or so during their initial trial and I bought a handful of CDs as a result of their recommendations.

If the US music industry want to save themselves of the dying CD sales, they have got to work out these licensing issues. I am not sure how much of their revenue is from non-US, it must be worth a few pennies?
Posted on: 17 August 2008 by KTMax
quote:
Originally posted by JY: Yes this is extremely frustrating for non-US users, Pandora would have been a killer app for the Squeezebox.

Exactly. If these sites/services work in here NL I'll by one the same day.

Just for fun I made some lossless rips with WMP11 and compared the Squeezebox A - B with my CDX. The CDX is definitely better. More powerful, more detail, more soundstage and more natural sounding. But to be honest I was shocked how relatively small the difference is. Even more taking the price into account. Just the Hi-line on the CDX costs 3 x more than the SB3. Impressive...

Richard.