555ps hums

Posted by: gio_b on 03 March 2013

hi,my 555ps hums about 50hz..of course..

my i try something ,to avoid an official and expensive repair ?

i think is the trafo,but is toroidal so...i don't know why it hums.

giovanni.

Posted on: 04 March 2013 by ken c
Originally Posted by tonym:

.... I'll have to interrogate the neighbours.  

dont use any torture in the process, and if you pick up any intelligence, please pass it on...

enjoy

ken

Posted on: 04 March 2013 by Ron Toolsie

Although for some lucky people, the 50Hz hum is the lowest bass their system may be able to generate, albeit it not through the speakers. Bassheads like Arun may actually like it!

Posted on: 04 March 2013 by james n

My old 300 used to hum - if my other half was using her hairdryer, bad mains etc. My Supercap was silent apart from a slight hum with an ear pressed up against the case. Every Sunday morning, at the same time each week, it would 'croak' every couple of seconds for about 15 minutes - a sound i've not heard a transformer do  before. It stopped doing this for two weeks when we had problems with the sewage pumps at the bottom of our cul de sac and needed a tanker to take away the effluent each day whilst they repaired the wet well pumps. Noticing the coincidence I asked one of the engineers what operation was going on every Sunday morning and he explained that the wet well pumps were running an anti ragging cycle where they run back and forth to break up any rags that may have bound onto the impellers. This wasn't working correctly hence the work. Once they were done and the pumps had been replaced, along with a new control system, my 300 never croaked again...

James

Posted on: 04 March 2013 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Ken, yes it most likely is to do with the tension in the laminates.

Tony if like me in Suffolk you at long lengths of 11kv overhead and then over head 240 v local distribution from a 'substation'  on top of a wooden pole  you will probably find your voltage variation and DC in the mains is less than ideal. (though in the last couple of years it has improved)

Simon

Posted on: 04 March 2013 by James L

I reduced the hum in a HC and 250 by having the transformer mounting tightened.

Posted on: 04 March 2013 by rackkit
Originally Posted by James L:

I reduced the hum in a HC and 250 by having the transformer mounting tightened.

Wouldn't it be better if the transformers were mounted on some kind of floating suspension?

Posted on: 04 March 2013 by Ron Toolsie

They would be better if they were encapsulated and potted, but that easily doubles the price of the already very expensive transformers. 

Posted on: 04 March 2013 by LarsDK
Following the guidance of Simon and Hook, i recently introduced a isotek syncro DC blocker. This eleminated all transformer humming in the system and also had positive effects on SQ. DIY blockers are cheaper, if an option.

Lars
Posted on: 04 March 2013 by rca/sun

my system has 10 boxes only the naim is nds5 /ndac/5xp psu .Cannot hear any hum coming from other units other than nds5 streamer which is not loud but can be heard 

Posted on: 04 March 2013 by toto

So, does mine too. My 555ps, 552ps and 500ps.

I think big size transformer hum noise is more BIG. My tuner PSU didn't hear hum noise.

I solved my Naim PSU hum noise with PS Audio Humbuster III.

Posted on: 05 March 2013 by AMA
Originally Posted by Ron Toolsie:

The model I use now retails for circa $8,000 USD which is 2.5x what I paid for it years ago when the cost of copper was a fraction of what it is now. 

What is this model? What is the power rating? Is it humming?