What's the Latest Thing You've Seen at the Cinema II

Posted by: Mr Underhill on 25 August 2014

As the other thread has been closed - let's start a new one!

Posted on: 10 January 2015 by dave4jazz

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2315047.ece/alternates/s615/%C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3-Eddie-Redmayne.jpg

The Theory of Everything

A look at the relationship between the famous physicist Stephen Hawking and his wife.

Potential award winning performances by Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones.

Dave

Posted on: 10 January 2015 by Bert Schurink
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill:

Bert

Is Exodus worth seeing?

M

Yes I would say so. While the typical movie ingredients might not be on the very highest level as you would hope. The 3d experience in this movie is so overwhelming, one really has the feeling you are back in that time and walking yourself in the famous sites. I was fascinated throughout the film by that aspect.

Posted on: 10 January 2015 by Mr Underhill

Thx Bert,

It was definitely on my NO list, I'll probably give it a go - even if only for the visuals.

M

Posted on: 16 January 2015 by bishopla

American Sniper

Directed by Clint Eastwood {May be one of his best efforts to date]

From director Clint Eastwood comes "American Sniper," starring Bradley Cooper as Chris Kyle, the most lethal sniper in U.S. military history. But there was much more to this true American hero than his skill with a rifle. U.S. Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle is sent to Iraq with only one mission: to protect his brothers-in-arms. His pinpoint accuracy saves countless lives on the battlefield and, as stories of his courageous exploits spread, he earns the nickname "Legend." However, his reputation is          also growing behind enemy lines, putting a price on his head and making him a prime target of insurgents. Despite the danger, as well as the toll on his family at home, Chris serves through four harrowing tours of duty in Iraq, becoming emblematic of the SEAL creed to "leave no man behind." But upon returning home, Chris finds that it is the war he can't leave behind. (C) Warner Bros

Posted on: 17 January 2015 by Clive B
Originally Posted by dave4jazz:

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2315047.ece/alternates/s615/%C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3-Eddie-Redmayne.jpg

The Theory of Everything

A look at the relationship between the famous physicist Stephen Hawking and his wife.

Potential award winning performances by Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones.

Dave

Just seen this. Brilliant performance from Eddie Redmayne. He seems to look so much like Hawking too.

Posted on: 17 January 2015 by Haim Ronen
Originally Posted by bishopla:

American Sniper

Directed by Clint Eastwood {May be one of his best efforts to date]

From director Clint Eastwood comes "American Sniper," starring Bradley Cooper as Chris Kyle, the most lethal sniper in U.S. military history. But there was much more to this true American hero than his skill with a rifle. U.S. Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle is sent to Iraq with only one mission: to protect his brothers-in-arms. His pinpoint accuracy saves countless lives on the battlefield and, as stories of his courageous exploits spread, he earns the nickname "Legend." However, his reputation is          also growing behind enemy lines, putting a price on his head and making him a prime target of insurgents. Despite the danger, as well as the toll on his family at home, Chris serves through four harrowing tours of duty in Iraq, becoming emblematic of the SEAL creed to "leave no man behind." But upon returning home, Chris finds that it is the war he can't leave behind. (C) Warner Bros

I will see it despite the reservations I have about sniping. It is interesting how the concept changed and today they are perceived as heroes. Many of the captured snipers in WW II were executed on the spot (by both sides) because that was considered a dirty way of fighting.

Chris Kyle was shot and killed by a disturbed Marine veteran on a shooting range a few years ago.

Posted on: 17 January 2015 by joerand
Originally Posted by Haim Ronen:

Chris Kyle was shot and killed by a disturbed Marine veteran on a shooting range a few years ago.

SPOILER ALERT!!!  

I'm a big Clint fan and plan to see this one in the theater. Interesting link regarding the authenticity of the film's storyline http://www.historyvshollywood....aces/american-sniper

Surprising how much the actors resemble the people they portrayed.

Posted on: 19 January 2015 by matt podniesinski

Birdman   I really enjoyed this film. Michael Keaton was fantastic and the supporting cast excellent.

Posted on: 23 January 2015 by Kevin-W

I thought this film was OK - but merely OK. The central performances are extremely impressive, but at its heart I just thought this is another "triumphing over the odds"-type movie, the kind of thing that the relentlessly middlebrow Oscar voters love (so expect to see it hoover up the gongs come March).

I couldn't help thinking that behind this rather shallow, airbrushed film there's a more interesting, nuanced and complex story to be told, but the makers hadn't got the balls to tell it. Quite entertaining and stirring, but I thought it was a bit of a wasted opportunity. It's still infinitely better than the godawful A Beautiful Mind though. That was really was puke-inducing.

Posted on: 23 January 2015 by Bruce Woodhouse

I rarely post here but wanted to add a comment.

re 'Theory of Everything'. Much as we enjoyed the movie it has to be seen as 'Janes Story' as her book was the source material. I did feel at times she was being painted as rather a martyr although neither she nor SH are portrayed as faultless. This viewpoint irritated me at times-but it was interesting to see the arc of their relationship set against his wider achievements. SH is a notoriously spiky and contrary figure-I did not see him being portrayed as either a victim or hero. His illness I believe he views as an inconvenience and never defines him. Redmaynes' performance will win the Oscar I will wager.

As for 'Birdman'; just loved it. precisely the sort of arty movie aimed at me maybe! Great performers riffing off each other, a bold and innovative visual style too. Edward Norton priceless-a favourite of mine. I know it will irritate some (maybe it is less than the sum of its parts) but I thought it was great.

Bruce

Posted on: 23 January 2015 by George J

I am soon going to see this.

Woman's Hour on Radio Four had a fascinating interview on thin this [with Mrs. H], and I guessed that this might be the story. Mrs. H's take ...

But it should not get in the way of enjoyment. All films have a perspective.

When I see it, then I will know ...

But I expect this film to be as illuminating as was Imitation Game of Alan Turing ...

ATB from George

Posted on: 23 January 2015 by Bruce Woodhouse

I thought the Imitation Game a better film. A good story, slightly 'Hollywoodised' in places but well acted-and one that does choose to address important issues in an interesting way as well as just telling the tale.

Bruce

Posted on: 23 January 2015 by George J

Dear Bruce,

Thanks for the insight!

Methinks that the Theory Of Everything might be a good view at 19:30 at the Odeon in Worcester. You have not put me off.

ATB from George

Posted on: 16 February 2015 by Mr Underhill

Jupiter Ascending

Time to review a quality film.

Yes, this has been generally lambasted, so I thought best I go see it. The Wachowski's have had a rough ride since The Matrix, and one I feel they genuinely deserve. I did enjoy Cloud Atlas, but that aside have found all their output execrable. On that scale the is merely poor. In fact I think it is truly a curate's egg, good in parts. The production values here are stratospherically high, as they should be for the money it cost. Much of the imagery is stunning, and the real shame is that there is a really great pulp science fiction story in here somewhere struggling to get out.

The film opens with our titular protagonist's back story. This, like much else in the film, feels like truly wasted effort. I suspect that had this movie paid off and led to a series then there may have been some point to many of the sequences presented, but within the context of this film there is just endless padding. The story is simple beyond belief, and the episodic sequences, as Jupiter meets her genetic twins' children, are strangely repetitive: Meet awful person; hero enters against high odds fights to her side; after much screaming and swooning Jupiter is rescued.

I like this sort of thing played straight, which it is here. There are a lot of standard tropes in this film which add up to some interesting detail, but this is against a startlingly boring front story; and yet .....with a little bit more effort this could have been bloody good. Not deep or meaningful, but a Star Wars for the 21st Century.

Glad I saw this on the big screen, but not a film I could recommend to anyone.

M

Posted on: 28 February 2015 by Gremlin

Into the woods was the last thing I saw at cinema but might take kids to see big hero 6 and Shawn the sheep as they need supervision 

Posted on: 21 March 2015 by EJS

Big Hero 6 is a superhero origin story, with pretty visuals but a rather too predictable and story and, unfortunately, a lame threat. It spiritually sits next to The Incredibles, which is the better film.

EJ

Posted on: 21 March 2015 by Bert Schurink

Great ,movie

Posted on: 26 March 2015 by Mr Underhill

The Divergent Series: Insurgent

Went to see this last night with my eldest daughter.

It is good to see that in a distopian future that even if food and accommodation are in short supply body and beauty products won't be, and that a girl with a pair of shears will be able to produce a beautifully coiffured and layered hair cut!

This is an objection that can be levelled at most films, so leaving that to one side the film is basically OK. I think that my daughter's comment is best, 'This is a film full of good ideas that have been done better elsewhere.' I suppose it therefore comes down to whether you are engaged by the characters, I wasn't overly much.

An OK film.

M

Posted on: 27 March 2015 by Gremlin

Been to see big hero 6 and home with my kids and I thourghly enjoyed both films.

Posted on: 27 March 2015 by Mr Underhill

I also enjoyed Big Hero 6 - might sneek into Home, just to look at the quality of the animation of course!

M

Posted on: 30 March 2015 by EJS

Rambo 5 The Gunman

Sean Penn plays an aging action hero, suffering from shellshock, a conscience, the axe effect and a bad case of bad guys trying to kill him. Entertaining whodunnit/action film.

Posted on: 09 April 2015 by Kevin-W

The first time I've seen this at the cinema in 33 years! Of course the version back then was very different, with its hackneyed narration and cheesy ending.

Saw this Final Cut version last night in London my oldest mate (with whom I saw it all those years ago) in a sparkling new print with an enhanced soundtrack. Great movie, great music.

Posted on: 15 April 2015 by Richard Dane

I saw Dark Horse last night. Ostensibly it tells the tale of the race-horse Dream Alliance, nicknamed to by the tabloids as "Slum-nag Millionaire", raised in the Welsh Valleys, who rose from humble stock to become a true contender.  Of course, the story is so much more than just that; It's about one woman's determination and a communities' faith and love.  Highly recommended to all when it goes out on general release this Friday.

Posted on: 18 April 2015 by Kevin-W

A murky noir, starring Victor Mature, Shelley Winters and Richard Conté. A vicious jewel thief and cop killer (Conte) has escaped from jail to pull off another robbery and is being pursued by detective Mature, his childhood friend. Taughtly directed in 1948 by Robert Siodmak, a dab hand at this kind of thing, and just re-released by the BFI in a crisp new print.

Posted on: 21 April 2015 by EJS

If you thought the tank highway scene and the 300-mile runway closing set piece in #6 were just about the best thing ever, you'll love the entirety of #7. With our friends desperately chasing a hacker and a computer chip they need in order to track down a villain who is hot on their heels (!), this film makes a strong case for tattoos and how crumple zones, seat belts and parachutes will save your life when you decide to go head-on against trucks, sports cars, and trees. Except in real life...

None of the actors seemed to have much fun making this, but the camera man obviously had a blast.

EJ